Dipole sub?

abomwell

Dipole sub?
« on: 30 Jan 2022, 07:41 pm »
The SVS 3000 Micro sub features opposing 8" active drivers in a sealed box.  Does anyone know if this would act like a dipole sub with lateral wave cancellations? I assume both drivers would need to be out of phase with each other to accomplish that. If they, in fact, do act like dipoles it would be very interesting to use a quad of these randomly placed. At their reasonable unit price it would be affordable for most folks. See description below:

3000 Micro

Chest-pounding, musical bass with accuracy and depth from a shockingly compact 10-inch cabinet that fits anywhere. The miniature yet mighty SVS 3000 Micro subwoofer seamlessly blends into any room and speaker system, energizing the space with astonishingly rich, effortless, and detailed bass that’s all the more impressive given its micro-sized enclosure. Features fully active dual opposing 8-inch drivers, 800 watt RMS, 2,500 watt Peak Power Sledge STA-800D2 amplifier with discreet MOSFET output, and the SVS subwoofer control smartphone app for advanced tuning of the DSP.
Driver | Active Dual Opposing 8-inch
Amplifier | 800 watts RMS (2500+ watts peak)
Freq. Response | 23-240 Hz ±3 dB
Dimensions | 10.9” (H) 11.7” (W) 10.7” (D)
$ 899.99

« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2022, 09:12 pm by abomwell »

Ctconger

Re: Dipole sub?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2022, 01:49 am »
It is not and can not be a dipole UNLESS you reverse the phase by reversing the leads on one of the opposing woofers. Doing so will cause you to change the design and lose the native force cancellation of opposing drivers. I Do not know if that work work well at all if the drivers share the same enclosure. i suspect they would produce very little bass.

abomwell

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2022, 03:00 am »
Thanks. I thought that might be the case.

I don't understand why there are no commercially made dipoles.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2022, 04:15 am »
One option I am considering is.. https://www.modalakustik.de/english-1/the-musikbass/   That thing is beautiful!

I plan on starting a new thread but just thought I would put this here for you in case you don't see it.

--James

abomwell

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2022, 05:56 am »
Thanks, James! That is facscinating!

Al

mrotino332

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2022, 01:44 pm »
I thought Clayton had mentioned he would work on a dipole sub at some point but he's probably busy with other projects.

abomwell

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2022, 02:46 pm »
I'll send my lobbyist:)

abomwell

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2022, 03:06 pm »
Magnepan toured with a prototype of a dipole type sub they were using with a new model, the M30 for condos. If I remember correctly the sub contained eight dynamic speakers, four facing in each direction of a V shaped configuration. It was designed to mate well with their dipole ribbon large panel. My understanding is they are at least one year out from introducing it, if they do at all.

dket

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2022, 06:44 pm »
You might want to checkout GoldenEars subs and their design philosophy.  With my Maggies 1.7i's I used GoldenEars' small subs which intergraded as well as you could ask for.
I am considering using them with my X5's.  Although the X5's produce a clean low end, I sometimes miss the low end punch the subs gave.
However, as time goes by I'm missing that part less.
My room is "live" where taming the upper frequencies was as an issue. My base at first seemed almost non existent.

abomwell

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2022, 08:54 pm »
Thanks, dket.  Which model did you have?

dket

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2022, 09:25 pm »
It's the 8" SuperSub X

Mr. Big

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2022, 09:53 pm »
A sub-brand from a company that makes Electrostatic speakers would be the simple way to go, the Martin Logan subs are killer with their speakers and they would also work as well with any open baffle speaker.\

Speak of the devil, a pair for sale.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649822232-martin-logan-depth-i-subwoofers-pair-black-excellent-condition/

abomwell

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2022, 11:05 pm »
Thank you, Mr Big. I'm looking into these now regarding their age, packaging and shipping costs. Reviews are excellent.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 2022, 11:13 pm »
The best sub to pair with open baffle speakers is an open baffle sub, or a pair of them, even better!

https://gr-research.com/product/sub-series-double-trouble-with-flatpacks-copy/

abomwell

« Reply #14 on: 1 Feb 2022, 11:46 pm »
Thanks, Tyson!

Al

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #15 on: 1 Feb 2022, 11:54 pm »
One option I am considering is.. https://www.modalakustik.de/english-1/the-musikbass/   That thing is beautiful!

I plan on starting a new thread but just thought I would put this here for you in case you don't see it.

--James

Those Modal Acustik subs are really sexy looking.  I have a pretty good idea of how they sound because I use a pair of similar Ripole subs in my system. 

They do not have the classic figure-8 radiation pattern of a true dipole, though.  Rather; their pattern is a cardioid with an off- axis null, a large front lobe and a slightly smaller rear lobe.  And they can play much lower than a typical OB dipole because the air mass in the chambers reduce the woofers' resonance frequency (fs) by about 10Hz.

My Ripole subs sound fantastically good:  Their notes just seem to rise up from nowhere and recede back to nowhere-- non-boomy and very, very clean.  I think conventional subs are better for home theater effects and Ripoles are much better for music.  I will never go back to conventional subs!

Mine are shown below:

Mr. Big

« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2022, 12:31 am »
Thank you, Mr. Big. I'm looking into these now regarding their age, packaging, and shipping costs. Reviews are excellent.

They are designed around electrostatics that gives as much sound from the back of the speaker as the front in fact you could turn them around and listen to them. Much harder to deal with than an open box speaker in any room by far. But easy if you know how to damp the front wall.  If these subs are designed to work with such a speaker they will be killer with open baffle speakers and you don't have to build them yourself, and they have much more setup flexibility and inputs.  2 subs are always better than one, so to average subs would be better than one more expensive sub. The best way to hook subs up is by high-level speakers connections on the sub from your amp, REL does this also, Martin Logan does also, this way the subs tale on the same sonics as your main speakers. Your amp sees no additional load due to the sub being powered design. Much better than running interconnects from a preamp sub out or line out.

abomwell

« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2022, 01:03 am »
Thanks, I purchased them.  Give a review in a couple weeks.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 2 Feb 2022, 01:25 am »
Those Modal Acustik subs are really sexy looking.  I have a pretty good idea of how they sound because I use a pair of similar Ripole subs in my system. 

They do not have the classic figure-8 radiation pattern of a true dipole, though.  Rather; their pattern is a cardioid with an off- axis null, a large front lobe and a slightly smaller rear lobe.  And they can play much lower than a typical OB dipole because the air mass in the chambers reduce the woofers' resonance frequency (fs) by about 10Hz.

My Ripole subs sound fantastically good:  Their notes just seem to rise up from nowhere and recede back to nowhere-- non-boomy and very, very clean.  I think conventional subs are better for home theater effects and Ripoles are much better for music.  I will never go back to conventional subs!

Mine are shown below:

I don't know why more manufacturers don't build ripole subs.  You are right, they are fantastic sounding. 

doggie

« Reply #19 on: 2 Feb 2022, 03:11 am »
Thanks, I purchased them.  Give a review in a couple weeks.

There were several recommended above. Did you buy the SVS subs that you mentioned in your original post?

Did you buy one or a pair? I used to own a pair of SVS SB2000's. I wish that I had kept them. They really worked well with my previous Omega Audio single driver speakers.