SP-2 Upgrade Options and Availability?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #80 on: 1 Dec 2005, 01:06 pm »
Hi Matt,

We will start offering upgrades in January - once we get caught up on backorders.

I think the SP1 and SP2 updates will have to come back to Bryston because the new Digital board and the new Micro processor control board have to be replaced. Most of the distributors do not have the sophisticated test gear required to check things out with this extensive a change.

james

MattH

« Reply #81 on: 1 Dec 2005, 02:22 pm »
Fair enough.. has pricing been decided for it formally yet ? And any idea of the sort of turnaround times we could be looking at ?

Thanks

Matt

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #82 on: 1 Dec 2005, 03:38 pm »
Hi Matt,

The SP1 to SP2 will be the same as the current price from SP1 to SP1.7.
The SP1.7 to SP2 will be a little less.
This is still under review.

Turn around would be a week once it is in the factory.

james

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #83 on: 6 Dec 2005, 09:30 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
Hi Matt,

The SP1 to SP2 will be the same as the current price from SP1 to SP1.7.
The SP1.7 to SP2 will be a little less.
This is still under review.

Turn around would be a week once it is in the factory.

james

James,

I re-sifted through the thread but I don't think I saw a definitive listing of the new SP2 specs & features?    Is there a concise listing to motivate us SP1.7 folks to upgrade?

I apologize if it is in the thread but I somehow missed it, but it may be worth repeating anyway.

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #84 on: 6 Dec 2005, 11:09 pm »
Hi Scott,

No spec sheet yet - will try and get it togther soon.
We have improved the noise floor by about 6dB.

james

Phil A

« Reply #85 on: 7 Dec 2005, 02:59 am »
Hi Scott,

No spec sheet yet - will try and get it togther soon.
We have improved the noise floor by about 6dB.

james

James I saw this press release:

"PRESS RELEASE: TO ALL BRYSTON CUSTOMERS
SUBJECT: BRYSTON INTRODUCES SP2 PREAMP/PROCESSOR

December 2005

Bryston is pleased to announce the new SP2 C-Series Surround Preamp/Processor.
The SP2 replaces the current SP1.7 Processor.

New Features Include:

•   New C-SERIES Cosmetics
•   RS-232 Software Updates
•   DSP Firmware Updates via SPDIF
•   New TI Aureus Audio DSP Chip
•   7 x greater Processing Power
•   6dB better noise floor
•   Lower distortion
•   DTS 96/24 5.1 Surround Decoding
•   Dolby 96/24 Two-Channel Surround PLIIX Decoding
•   Four Independent Hi-Pass Subwoofer Crossover Points:
o   Left/Right Front
o   Center,
o   Left/Right Surrounds
o   Left/Right Backs
•   7.1 Decoding from 2-Channel source in Dolby PLIIX Music & Film Modes
•   7.1 Decoding from 2-Channel source in DTS NEO6 Music & Cinema Modes
•   7.1 Surround Effects Decoding from 2-Channel Digital sources
•   7.1 Surround Effects Decoding from 2-Channel Analog sources
•   96/24 Stereo Decoding
•   96/24 DTS 5.1 Decoding
•   96/24 Matrix Surround Modes in 5.1
•   Dynamic Range Adjustment per Individual Input
•   New faster Micro-controller Board
•   New THX modes – Advanced Cinema, Advanced Music, Advanced Games
•   New THX Ultra Subwoofer Setting

We will be offering internal updates from the SP1 and the SP1.7 to the SP2.

Regards,
James Tanner,
Bryston Ltd.

"

Any other info would be appreciated - thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #86 on: 7 Dec 2005, 11:52 am »
Other info meaning what in particular?

james

nicolasb

« Reply #87 on: 7 Dec 2005, 01:00 pm »
Other info meaning what in particular?

Anything you can tell us that isn't in that list. :)

Here are some questions that have come up before:

- We've been told that a future software release will include parametric EQ. When is that likely to happen?

- How many bands of EQ will be available? (and is that per channel, or altogether?) And what will the settable parameters be? (Anything other than centre frequency and width?)

- What user-interface will be provided for setting up parametric filters? (E.g. will there be any facility for matching to speaker response curves, or to room response, perhaps by using a PC application to sample sound, autogenerate the filters, and upload them to the SP2 via RS232?)

- Are there any other new software options coming that we haven't yet heard about? (This might perhaps include such things as loudness correction, EQ based on sound amplitude/intensity as well as frequency, variable cross-over filter slopes, support for a THX height channel, etc.)

- Have you decided yet if you're going to offer Dolby Headphone output (via RCA, not with a hardware change) and, if so, when?

- Will you be able to generate a constant stereo downmix at an output (the Tape output, say) when the input signal is digital?

- It's been hinted that there will eventually be another upgrade to add an HDMI input: is that likely to be on a timescale of months or years?

- Have you definitely decided against adding any kind of jitter reduction (whether by asynchronous upsampling, or more sophisticated means) for the remotely foreseeable future?

- Will the SP2 have full THX Ultra 2 certification (for what it's worth :) )?

- Will an older upgraded SP1.7 end up with the same display as a new one has (e.g. sharper, and turns itself off after a few seconds of no use)?

- Will we get HDCD decoding?

- Have you yet fixed the price of the upgrade, and might there by a discount for loyal early adopters? ;)

- Did you ever look into the possibility of adding a simple, single video output to display settings on a larger screen (while not accepting any video input)?

- When are we expecting the SPV-2?

- Will the upgrade from SP1.7 to SP2 be something that can be carried out by Bryston's international distributors (such as PMC) or will SP1.7s have to be shipped back to Canada for the upgrade?

I'd also be quite interested to know how you've managed to get lower distortion and a 6dB improvement in the noise floor without any change to the anlogue systems or the DACs, but I expect that's a trade secret! :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #88 on: 7 Dec 2005, 03:12 pm »
Hi nicoloasb

1. I would say EQ is at least a year away.

2. Do not know at this point will depend on software. I am thinking just frequencies up to 200 Hz.

3. Do not know - that's a Shane question.

4. Have not considered any of these issues yet.

5. I know Dolby Headphone is available but we have not discussed any implimentation at this point.

6. Question for Shane

7. We are doing a new SP2 Video switcher which will allow for HDMI and I assume we will add HDMI when all gets settled. I see it out at least a year.

8. The jitter issue is definitely a ways out -- if ever.

9. Yes full THX

10. The upgrade display can be turned off with the upgrade and I suppose we could install a new display if wanted. We have decided rather than turn off the new SP2 will just 'dim' to about a quarter intensity.

11. No - HDCD

12. The upgrade will be $1,495 US from an SP1 to and SP2 and $1,195 from an SP1.7 to an SP2. The front panel cosmetics will not be changed just all the 'guts'.

11. Had not considered the Video Output but the SPV1(and soon to be SPV2)  has On Screen Display if used with the SP1.7 or the SP2.

12. Yes SPV2 we are working on now.

13. Not  sure on the upgrade being done by the distributor. Some have the expertice (PMC) but most do not have the specialized test gear.

14. Yes we have designed a new micro controller board and the routing on the new digital board plus custom parts has improved and as you say some secrets.

Hope this helps.

james

nicolasb

« Reply #89 on: 7 Dec 2005, 04:50 pm »
I would say EQ is at least a year away.

Oh.  :cry:

I guess I won't be upgrading for quite a while, then. :(

Do not know at this point will depend on software. I am thinking just frequencies up to 200 Hz.

While I would agree that the benefits of parametric EQ are greater below 200Hz, and the results more likely to be counter-productive at higher frequencies, I can't see any benefit to actually preventing people from using higher-frequency filters if they wish to. (This is presumably all going to be in an "Experts Only" menu anyway?)

I know Dolby Headphone is available but we have not discussed any implimentation at this point.

You know I'm going to keep nagging you about it until you do.  :)

Yes full THX

As in full "THX Ultra 2", as opposed to merely "THX Ultra"? (Not that I care, really, but some people might!)

The upgrade display can be turned off with the upgrade and I suppose we could install a new display if wanted. We have decided rather than turn off the new SP2 will just 'dim' to about a quarter intensity.

If I understand you correctly, that's good. One of the niggles with the SP1.7 (or less recent ones, anyway) is that the display is rather hard to read at long distances, and that it remains rather brightly lit (which is a nuisance for people who use front-projection systems that require a darkened room). I gather that recent SP1.7s do a better job of this - the display goes dim (or dark) after a few seconds of use, and it is sharper and easier to read. (Did I hear that it's bright characters on a dark background rather than vice versa, or did I imagine that?)

Will this change (or something like it) be included in the 1.7 to 2 upgrade? If so, will it cost extra?

No - HDCD

Shame.  :| Is there some reason why it's harder to implement this than it is to support (say) DTS 24/96?

The upgrade will be $1,495 US from an SP1 to and SP2 and $1,195 from an SP1.7 to an SP2.
Not sure on the upgrade being done by the distributor. Some have the expertice (PMC) but most do not have the specialized test gear.

The issue there, obviously, is cost. Thinking back to the price of upgrading an SP1 to an SP1.7, I recall that the price of doing this in the UK was very nearly double what it was in america. A $1200 upgrade isn't exactly cheap, but, if it turns into a $2300 upgrade because the processor has to be shipped to Canada and back, that really is prohibitively expensive.

Had not considered the Video Output but the SPV1(and soon to be SPV2) has On Screen Display if used with the SP1.7 or the SP2.

#The SPV1 isn't cheap, though. It's a great solution for someone who actually wants a high quality video switcher, but it's too sophisticated and expensive if all you want to be able to do is switch to a different TV channel/input to get a big onscreen display, and then switch back to whatever it is you were watching. If you could produce a low-quality, monochrome, composite-only video signal that is output-only (no video input at all) that might conceivably be a bit cheaper. (Or it might not, I don't know).

I'm not too fussed about this myself, but it was mentioned earlier in this thread.

that's a Shane question

Get Mr Parfit over here and hold him down till he gives us some answers.  :mrgreen:

MattH

« Reply #90 on: 10 Dec 2005, 10:47 am »
Nic.. my 1.7 has yellow letters on a dark background and turns itself off after a few seconds of inactivity

Cheers

Matt

Levi

« Reply #91 on: 10 Dec 2005, 03:16 pm »
SP2 having 6db better noise floor, 7x greater processing power, Lower distortion and new LCD seems to be a worth while upgrade.  I wonder how does it translate to a real world application.  

James, I can only imagine.  How is the movie experience compaired to the SP1.7?  The two by-pass mode sounds the same?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #92 on: 10 Dec 2005, 03:43 pm »
HI Levi,

Yes the 2-channel bypass was untouched so no changes there.

I have been listening and comparing on and off now for about 3 weeks.
The SP2 certainly sounds less 'in your face' and I have noticed that the sub integration is much better - not sure why on that one.

The spacial information is superb wih a real sense of being inside a pocket of sound.

The nice thing is with the new microprocessor we developed there are no 'clicks or pops' during bitstream changes or input changes and the speed of change from one source to another is much quicker and smoother.

I love the new look as well.

james

Adz523

« Reply #93 on: 10 Dec 2005, 06:19 pm »
So what was an earlier observation by Nicholas that the available extra processing power of the new DSP/ciruit board etc, may result in improved HT performance is actually bearing out to be the case, at least based on your listening experiences so far.   That is fantastic, if you saw my face right about now....... :D

gaderson

« Reply #94 on: 13 Dec 2005, 12:28 am »
Yes it is available in Silver or Black - 17 inch or 19 inch.

james

Will the 19" be 'rackmountable'?  I like the pro-rackmount esthetic, so wondering if the new 'C' style faces can be mounted in a rack.  This would along with my SP1 to SP2 upgrade.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #95 on: 13 Dec 2005, 12:44 am »

The C-SERIES amplifiers are not available in RACK MOUNT -- if you want to Rack Mount order the 19 inch Pro style faceplates as shown above. They can be ordered in Silver or Black.

james

gaderson

« Reply #96 on: 13 Dec 2005, 04:28 am »

The C-SERIES amplifiers are not available in RACK MOUNT -- if you want to Rack Mount order the 19 inch Pro style faceplates as shown above. They can be ordered in Silver or Black.

james

Sorry, I was refering to the Processor--I though the new face of the SP2 was based off the C-series, thus calling it a 'C' face.  I was specifically wondering about getting a 19" rackmount face with my SP2 upgrade.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #97 on: 13 Dec 2005, 12:10 pm »
OK sorry,

Yes the SP2 has the new C-Series faceplate in 17 inch and 19 inch - but the 19 inch does not have mounting holes for rackmounting.

What we are going to do for those that what to racmount the C-Series SP2 is use a 17 inch version and then add 'RACKEARS' to the sides of the 17 inch version which will allow for rackmounting. We are doing that now for the preamps and integrated amps.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #98 on: 13 Dec 2005, 12:48 pm »
Quote from: gaderson

james

Sorry, I was refering to the Processor--I though the new face of the SP2 was based off the C-series, thus calling it a 'C' face.  I was specifically wondering about getting a 19" rackmount face with my SP2 upgrade.

HI,

IMPORTANT point - the SP2 upgrades will only change out all the 'guts' ---the faceplate will remain an SP1.7.

james

gaderson

« Reply #99 on: 14 Dec 2005, 12:42 am »
HI,

IMPORTANT point - the SP2 upgrades will only change out all the 'guts' ---the faceplate will remain an SP1.7.

james

So, does that mean I could just get the SP1.7 19" rackmount faceplate, and be ok?