Looking for some help

alexstl

Looking for some help
« on: 21 Sep 2007, 01:06 am »
Hi guys, 

First of all I want to give a very late thank you to Scott and Laura for a great time at their house with the headphone crew.  I was out of town a few times right after the get together and then just kept putting off writing in.  It was fun to meet some new young audiophile addicts, I mean enthusiasts.  Yes, tubes do make a difference.  I was able to try many headphones and headphone amps and amazingly liked my own equipment best, which is a first at a GAS session.  For once I didn’t go home envious of another’s gear and trying to figure out a way to talk my spouse into letting me take out another mortgage to improve my system.   

On another matter, I need some help if possible.  I bought a Decware se84c amp.  It is quite the little gem.  It came with many rectifier, input and output tubes for me to roll, but I am concerned that I don’t really have the proper support to hear the difference.  My speakers are Cain and Cain Abbeys with a Music Hall 25.2 CD player.  I have been using a renovated Scott 400 receiver for about a year and have loved the combination, but of course always looking for improvement. 

My weak link is speaker wire.  For convenience and aesthetics reasons I have the CD and receiver to one side of both speakers and am using relatively inexpensive long run, 18 feet each, flat 16 awg speaker wires.  I know that most of you run the amp in the center of the speakers with short better quality speaker cable runs and a long interconnect if you have the source to one side.  I have room on the mantel, between the speakers, for the Dec amp but not the CD, which needs to be to the side.

So here is the favor.  Could someone lend me an audiophile quality pair of interconnects that are about fifteen feet long and an audiophile set of speaker cables/wire eight feet long to do some testing and comparing of tubes and amps?  If someone has something decent they want to sell because they now have something better, I would also be open to buying.   

Thanks for any advice and to consider lending me some long interconnects and quality speaker wires to make a more informed decision.

Scott F.

Re: Looking for some help
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2007, 02:22 am »
Alex,

I might have a pair that long but I'll have to do some digging. I know I have some long(er) ones but I'm not sure they are 15'. I'll post back either tomorrow or Saturday and let you know.

BRILEY804

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2007, 02:34 am »
Check your messages.....

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2007, 12:00 am »
Alex,

You're in luck. I found a decent pair of IC's that are almost 15' long. Let me know when you want to buzz by and pick them up. I'll do some digging on the speaker cables. I might have a spare pair. Oh, there are a bunch of guys coming out next Saturday after 3pm. If you want to join us, that would be great.

alexstl

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2007, 02:07 am »
Thanks Scott,  almost fifteen will work!  I will try to be there next week.  My four year old has started soccer which is changing my life, again.  Alex