Cheap Phono Preamp Recommendation for an upcoming "Vinyl Head"

alana106

Greetings Gas Guys....

Yes, just as some of you heard from my wife a few weeks ago.  I'm officially now becoming a "Vinyl Head".   I just purchased a CLEARAUDIO  EMOTION Turntable W/ Satisfy Tone Arm and Arum Classic Wood MM Cartridge, from a fellow AC member out in San Francisco.  I'll probably have it in a week or so.  You can take a peek here.    http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1123&pos=0

I don't expect this to receive a tremendous amount of use, but I just had to have one.  :green:  A good friend of mine always refers to the saying "I want it" or "I got it" when attempting to rationalize purchases such as this.  That's how he got his Harley. 8)

I'm looking for a preamp to accompany the turntable, but I hope to stay really cheap.  About $200 if possible.  The Bellari VP-129 was mentioned as a possibility, and I see them on EBay at $200 plus shipping.  Does anyone have any other ideas??  I know this might get more attention at the Vinyl Circle, but I was hoping to get some local feedback if possible.  Thanks in Advance Mens!

Alan

Upstateaudio

Try a Cambridge 640P, can be had new for $170.

http://www.spearitsound.com/Cambridge_Audio/Cambridge_Audio_540p.asp
 :)

Rocket

Hi Alan,

Phonostages are really important to the overall sound of your vinyl system.  I've used a few in my system which included perreaux sxv1, musical fidelity xlps and hagtech bugle.  They sound fine but i have bought a bluenote de medici which sells for $1295us and it is far above the other phonostages that i have used in the past.

It seems a pity to buy a good quality turntable and then skimp on a good quality phonostage.

REgards

Rod

steve k

Alan,
If you don't mind kits, there are a few tube kits close to your price range:

Bottlehead Seduction: $279
DiyHiFI Cole w/ separate power supply: $418

There's also:

Graham Slee Amp 1 for $200
Pro-Ject has the Solid State Phono Box at $119 and $299 and the tube Tube Box II at $349.
Musical Fidelity makes the X-LPS for $399
Graham Slee has the Amp 2 for $399
Antique Sound Lab has the Tube Phono Lux DT w/ separate power supply for $450.
Jolida makes a tube phono pre with MM/MC outputs for $450.

You might find some of these used for around your price range.
steve

alana106

I appreciate the input.  I should have mentioned that I am completely open to the used market for this, and I will budget a little more if it allows me to look at something noticeably better.  Has anyone had any experience or compared any of the units listed above, or any other low cost units.  The Bellari Had caught my attention due to the ability to roll the tube.

Scott had mentioned the Graham Slee a while back, but it seems that the only unit I found listed on Agon was around $600, which is more that I care to spend at this time.

Thanks,
Alan

DeadFish

Hey Alan,

I hadn't seen anyone else mention, but the HagTech Cornet/Cornet II and Bugle come well recommended, especially if you feel like building a 'kit'.  Used ones show up in your price range.
Should you like to try it, I really like my Cornet II, and you can try it if you like.
My vinyl collection dates back to the 50's, so I'll never give it up, but my use is sporadic and I can live without the Cornet for a while if you want to try it.

Just lemme know if you do!

Yer on another 'bumpy road'!

Regards,
DeadFish

Scott F.

Alan,

If the Slee you saw was the Era Gold, $600 is well worth it. That is one of the better phono stages you will  ever hear (seriously). Forget the fact the Fremmer uses it as one of his full time reference sources and still raves about it regularly. It is one of the very few inexpensive phono stages that holds its own against $3-4K dedicated stages.

If you can wait until the bash, I've got the Jazz Club, the Slee 3 (its an affordable high gain MM/MC stage), and the Reflex (which replaced the Era Gold). I'm sure mark would bring the Graham Amp 2 and somebody out there has the Graham Amp 1 (I forget who ended up with that one).
(sorry, I'm a Graham Slee fan)

robert1325

I'm using my jolida jd-9 phono with great joy!      I've had it for 3 weeks now and it sounds very musical.

alana106

Thanks Everyone,

Sounds like a lot of good options.

My knowledge on this subject is equal to that of  Nuclear Submarines, so thanks for all the recommendations. They go under water and the turntable spins.   :lol: 

I really don't need to be In a hurry since I don't have the turntable yet.  It can run through my Adcom preamp tuner on a temporary basis if need be.   

I just saw Tim, and he said that he thought he knew someone selling one of the lower end Graham Slees.

Tim:  If you happen to see this, and know which model, let me know....

Scott:  I'll probably hold off until after the bash, unless something really good surfaces that I don't want to miss out on..

Thanks to all!

Alan

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
Hey Alan - I got a good deal from Walter at Underwood HiFi (www.underwoodhifi.com) on the little Belari.  It sounds very, very nice for the $$, and I'm positive you won't find one for a better price than what he can sell you a new one for.

Thought you'd wanna know -

Kirch

WEEZ

Scott, can you comment on the Gold vs. the Reflex? Curious....

Scott F.

Weez,

Wish I could but I don't have the Gold to compare it to though my Jazz Club is basically the same circuit. Without revealing too much because its a review in the works, the Era Gold Reflex is significantly better than the Jazz Club. More detail, air, everything. This phono stage epitomizes the definition of High End audio (and its musical too boot).

WEEZ

:green:

Mathew_M

I have the Bellari and it's pretty smooth if that's your thing.  Personally I find it ill-matched to my tastes; it's too smooth and kind of boring in my system (VMPS 626r, MMF-5, Jolida 302b).  It's odd because in the past there would be a huge difference between vinyl and digital with my VMPS.  Maybe I need to try rolling a tube in it though it's already got an EH in there which should be pretty detailed.

Scott F.

I have the Bellari and it's pretty smooth if that's your thing.  Personally I find it ill-matched to my tastes; it's too smooth and kind of boring in my system (VMPS 626r, MMF-5, Jolida 302b).  It's odd because in the past there would be a huge difference between vinyl and digital with my VMPS.  Maybe I need to try rolling a tube in it though it's already got an EH in there which should be pretty detailed.

I doubt tube rolling will bring it to your total satisfaction. What you need to do is let us operate on your Jolida (seriously, ask Mike D.). Some quick coupling caps and resistor change outs plus maybe switchable feedback and you'll not recognize the sound of it. You'll think you'd bought a new amp, honest. After that, then when you listen to your Bellari you'll have a better baseline to gauge from. Look at it this way, you owe yourself a nice Christmas present, right?  :green:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
 I have not read through the entire thread but if anyone in your area has a Jolida JD9 phono stage, I strongly recommend auditioning it. Like the other Jolida pieces, you can tweak the hell out of it. It already performs well beyond it's price point in stock form.

I once used mine in a $45k reference system and everyone that heard this system could not believe they were listening to a $450 phono stage.

Maybe I will have to send Scott F. one to listen to in the near future!

Mathew_M

Look at it this way, you owe yourself a nice Christmas present, right?  :green:

I think the Jolida sounds pretty good as is; however I'm sure there's room for improvement.  I've never soldered anything worth over $20 so yeah I would need some help with mods.  Are all of the parts available for order online?

Scott F.

Yep, all the parts are online. You're probably less than $100 all in for the parts.

Bill, the Jolida phono stage sounds interesting, especially for <$500. Knowing Mike, I'd bet that thing could sound like a million bucks with a few part swaps.

alana106

Looks a lot of good possibilities are out there.   It's great to hear experienced views on this.  The Clearaudio Emotion turntable comes with the Aurum Classic cartridge, which appears to be ClearAudios entry cartridge.
 http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Aurum-Classic?sc=2&category=367

The cartridge shows an output voltage of 3.3 mV. Is there some formula on how much gain I should be looking for, from the Phono Stage?
  I'll probably toss this out for discussion at Scott's next week, and see if I get any more ideas.

Thanks again for all the ideas,
Alan

electricbear

The pre that I know is for sale is the Slee Amp2SE. He wants $200 for it. Pm me if you are interested and I'll give you contact details.