Rel T7i and IDA-8

damguz

Rel T7i and IDA-8
« on: 4 Dec 2016, 02:22 pm »
I am wondering if it is possible, as with the ref-20, to connect the Rel T7/i to the IDA-8.   After so much listening and some research i leaning towards the Rel T7/i to complement my current KEF LS50 as I've heard their paring and like how they come together. 
Being that I am powering the LS50 out of the amazing IDA-8, my big concern is such a marriage can be made (IDA-8 & Rel T7/i.

Thank you in advance for your imput.

srb

Re: Rel T7i and IDA-8
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2016, 04:01 pm »
From the Nuprime IDA-8 webpage FAQ Section:

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers-and-preamps/integrated-amps/ida-8.html#faq_30

Can the amplifier's speaker terminals be used as source inputs (e.g. to REL Subwoofer) ?

In some applications, the speaker outputs from the power amplifier are used as source signals for devices such as REL sub woofer. For such application, usually the receiving devices should have DC offset blocking capability because some amplifier by design has floating ground (DC offset) on the speaker outputs.

The following models have no DC offset on the amplifier speaker outputs and the negative terminal is also the ground:

NuPrime IDA-9, MCH-K38, IDA-16

The following models' speaker outputs can not be connected directly to sub woofer input:

NuPrime Reference 20, ST-10, IDA-8

Steve

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2016, 05:13 pm »
The IDA-8 has rca outputs... just use one of those to feed the sub.

damguz

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2016, 05:17 pm »
Thank you for your answer. I actually read that piece but remembered having also read this post a few months ago:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140718.msg1540312#msg1540312

Revisiting it, I got the impression that there may be a work arround to the connection issue. In your quote the ref 20 was also listed as not able to connect, but apparently after some work arround and some $$$ in repairs, the member was able to get it to work.  Thus, trying capitalize on previous experience, I just wanted to see if there was a way of pairing the Rel wth the IDA-8.

If not at all, I am curious as to what other subwoofer could also be a good option for the IDA-8 -  KEF LS50 ensemble?

damguz

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2016, 05:20 pm »
The IDA-8 has rca outputs... just use one of those to feed the sub.

The Rel has either a Neutrix speak-on or a full range sub imput, no RCA?   Hence my quandary.  :oops:

srb

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2016, 05:46 pm »
The REL T7i does have an RCA  low-level line input, however it is a mono input and it may not be a good idea to try and combine the IDA-8 stereo sub outputs to mono with a simple Y-adapter.

Your other question is what other subs would be a good match - I don't have personal experience but others have used the Rythmik sealed subs with excellent results and it does have stereo RCA line inputs.  I think the Rythmik F12G with the GR Research paper cone driver would be a good match for stereo music use where its lighter cone and surround would give better results for low level listening as well.

Steve

damguz

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2016, 05:58 pm »
Thanks, for the Rythmic indication. 
Your point exactly on combining stereo to mono sub imput is what  wanted to avoid.  And is what I whanted to say with my version of the full range sub imput. 

Will check the Rythmic out.

Regards

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2016, 06:03 pm »
Buy 2  :green:

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2016, 07:06 pm »
The REL T7i does have an RCA  low-level line input, however it is a mono input and it may not be a good idea to try and combine the IDA-8 stereo sub outputs to mono with a simple Y-adapter.

You should never combine signals with a Y-adapter. Those adapters are typically meant for splitting outputs, not combining which could potentially damage the output stage.

That said, in the sub range most frequencies tend to be in mono already so you can simply try just feeding one channel in. There's no harm in it.

If you're feeding an external analog signal into the IDA-8 to begin with, you might also consider adding an external crossover. This will let you put a high-pass filter on the LS50 to ease the load and possible make it cleaner.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2016, 09:34 pm »
Damguz,

I've had a Rythmik F12G for about three years. It's the best sub I've had in my house. Someday, I want to buy two of the Rythmik double 8" subs to pair with two-way monitors (assuming I don't decide to buy three-way floor standing speakers instead). I personally prefer the double 8" silhouette over the 12" F12G, but I'm told they sound pretty much the same.

Try to find someone near you who owns a Rythmik sub, or just jump in and buy one. Highly recommended!

Michael

damguz

« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2016, 10:09 pm »
Thank you Michael.  I am currently reading at their site and I like what I am reading.  Kind of Nuprime company profile for Subwoofer. I love it. 

JAC_ZAR

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2020, 12:20 pm »
I'm using high level input with REL T/7i and IDA-8
Speakon cable is connected to - not + amp outputs
REL sent me info on connection method via email

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004486607-Class-D-Amp-Connection-Methods

well

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2020, 01:44 pm »
I'm also using high level input with B&W ASW 608 Sub and IDA-8. Its work much better than low level connect (the subwoofer is quiet and better paired with the satellites)