Medium/High Power amplifier recommendations

jtcf

Re: Medium/High Power amplifier recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jul 2022, 05:58 pm »
Just my two cents.... but I think you might be better off replacing the passive sub with a powered sub.Why add another component? The 12" SVS sub with DSP is an excellent choice.Try before you buy directly from SVS or Crutchfield. Crutchfield will even pay return shipping.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jul 2022, 06:55 pm »
Just my two cents.... but I think you might be better off replacing the passive sub with a powered sub.Why add another component? The 12" SVS sub with DSP is an excellent choice.Try before you buy directly from SVS or Crutchfield. Crutchfield will even pay return shipping.

I just noticed this went up today, if the OP is interested in such:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649880491-svs-sb16-ultra-subwoofer/

artur9

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jul 2022, 08:27 pm »
I need more power for my passive subwoofer.  It is a sealed design with 10" Dayton woofer (8ohms and rated at 350 watts RMS).

Curious, did you make this yourself?

Mine are a pair of Velodyne SC-8 and a pair of TBI Magellans.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jul 2022, 09:12 pm »

Partly.  It's a 12" Dayton Titanic in a Genesis Advanced Technologies cabinet.  The cabinet, plus some internal blocks, made the volume perfect for a Titanic in a sealed enclosure. 

The original servo amp had failed, so I re-used the cabinet.  Been very happy with it for a good 15 or 20 years.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #24 on: 22 Jul 2022, 02:03 pm »
Since you already have a Dayton woofer, pair it with a 1,200-watt Dayton Audio Class D amplifier with DSP: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-APA1200DSP-1200-watt-Power-Amplifier-with-Integrated-Digital-Signal-Processing-300-1000

I looked at that amp.  I'm a bit skeptical.  It measures terribly and I tried the Dayton SA1000 and didn't really like it much.  Maybe this other Dayton amp would sound already on a sub.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jul 2022, 02:07 pm »

Yes, I made the sub.  The problem is not with the design or size of the sub.  I made it myself because there aren't many options out there for sealed subwoofers and I enjoy making my own speakers.  The sub sounds great.  It does what I want.  The sealed design is so much tighter and cleaner than ported enclosures.  Plus, the phase response is much easier to pair with my mains. I am quite happy with it.  I just want some more power to drive it. 

DannyBadorine

« Reply #26 on: 22 Jul 2022, 02:15 pm »

A passive sub with DSP and an amplifier is the same as a powered sub.  I have DSP and a sub already and I love how this sub sounds.  I just want a more powerful amplifier to control the low end better.  Headroom can really help when you're dealing with frequencies under 30Hz.  Class D amplifiers are much more efficient so I won't be concerned about my current draw.  I'm not asking for recommendations on subwoofers.  I'm asking for people's experience with Medium/High powered amplifiers, specifically Class D. 

DannyBadorine

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jul 2022, 02:17 pm »
If I was going to buy another subwoofer, I would get the GR Servo sealed kit.  That would probably do what I want, but the amps are forever on back order so I'm trying different amplifiers with mine until I can get that kit and build it.

JMW73

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jul 2022, 02:19 pm »
I run dual Stereo Integrity DIY sealed subs (that are passive).  They require a TON of power, so I got a Behringer DSP amp and it works flawlessly. 

DannyBadorine

« Reply #29 on: 22 Jul 2022, 02:22 pm »
I run dual Stereo Integrity DIY sealed subs (that are passive).  They require a TON of power, so I got a Behringer DSP amp and it works flawlessly.

I've never seen those.  They look great.  And yeah, sealed enclosures need a lot more power but they're so much more realistic and controlled.  How do you like the sound of yours? 

/mp

« Reply #30 on: 22 Jul 2022, 03:58 pm »
The sealed design is so much tighter and cleaner than ported enclosures.

The canonical difference. Sealed for timber, ported for impact.
À chacun son goût a/k/a your mileage may vary.
I'm not familiar with the competing amps in your target zone. Bag End has made home/pro sealed subs for long enough. Never heard them but read about them from time to time. They use big amps w/rising levels at decreasing frequencies EQ to compensate for sealed (sub)woofer decreasing output at decreasing frequencies. The idea is an old one of Roy Allison IIRC. This is the roundabout way of suggesting checking out their website to see what they use for amps.
Good luck getting your room dialed in to your preferences & Happy listening.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jul 2022, 05:15 pm »
If I was going to buy another subwoofer, I would get the GR Servo sealed kit.  That would probably do what I want, but the amps are forever on back order so I'm trying different amplifiers with mine until I can get that kit and build it.

Why don't you just buy a Rhythmik sub with the GR driver?  It is basically the same sub.  It is still listed on their site as for sale.  But maybe it is still back ordered.

https://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12G.html

JMW73

« Reply #32 on: 22 Jul 2022, 05:26 pm »
I've never seen those.  They look great.  And yeah, sealed enclosures need a lot more power but they're so much more realistic and controlled.  How do you like the sound of yours?

Mine sound amazing, and play FLAT to just under 10hz in room, which is amazing (yes, you can't hear it, but you can feel it.  But I ended up tuning a little of that out because the bounce and rattle was counterproductive).  So I still get plenty of slam.  I did have to cross them over somewhat higher than expected to get the right slope overlap with my mains; otherwise it sounded slim. My mains are Dali Halicon 400, which play to 35 Hz in room.  I tuned it all with REW, so I'm not bragadocious.  The DSP amp sets the crossover and slope, and I do a little room correction above that using the PEQ in Roon.

artur9

« Reply #33 on: 22 Jul 2022, 09:05 pm »
Yes, I made the sub.  The problem is not with the design or size of the sub. 

I apologize if I gave the impression that you having made them was problematic.
I wish I could make subs, seems like a fun hobby!

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jul 2022, 10:10 pm »

You can!  One good starting point is Parts Express.  They have some excellent subwoofer drivers, and also sell knock-down cabinets designed to work with them if you don't want to build a cabinet from scratch.  Plate amplifiers too if you are not looking for a passive subwoofer.  It's a good way to get your foot in the door, and pretty easy to build.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jul 2022, 06:44 am »

All good!  I didn't mean to be snarky about it.  I'm just confident in the design.  And you can definitely make your own speakers!  It's fun.  Start with a kit from GR Research and go from there.  There are many online calculators to help you if you want to design your own.  People on here, including me, will help you with the process.

charmerci

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jul 2022, 03:23 pm »
There's also meniscus.com which has a lot of good speakers too

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #37 on: 23 Jul 2022, 06:41 pm »
There's also meniscus.com which has a lot of good speakers too

I just ordered the BMR kit from Meniscus.  Anxious for its arrival and construction!

DannyBadorine

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jul 2022, 08:47 am »
I just ordered the BMR kit from Meniscus.  Anxious for its arrival and construction!

Very cool!  Share a post with your work when you've got it going.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #39 on: 24 Jul 2022, 02:19 pm »
Very cool!  Share a post with your work when you've got it going.

Will do!