Fet Valve 200R, Why not, Frank?

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
Re: Fet Valve 200R, Why not, Frank?
« Reply #40 on: 11 May 2014, 01:34 am »
The designer has two options:

1st. Narrow bandwidth operation and thus ensure that the MOSFET can afford low impedances. Chosen by Frank / AVA.

2nd. Making the most bandwidth but limit the power for lower impedance, ie, delivering the same power at 8 ohms to 4 ohms. It is chosen by others, who boast high bandwidth.

If the speakers are 8 ohms nominal, both options work properly.

The problems come with the second option, when the speakers have lows below 2 ohms impedance, which often happens with electrostatic speakers.

Therefore, the choice made by Frank / AVA is best for Janszen. Or the most common Magnepan.

Am I right?

you're wrong! :green:

maty

« Reply #41 on: 11 May 2014, 06:21 am »
G Georgopoulos

The third amp option, with ECX10N20R & ECX10P20R and 900Khz of bandwith (3dB) has problems with speakers like Magnepan (with minimum impedance below 2 Ohms). And it offers the same power at 8 ohm and 4 because it expressly limited.

The worst thing is that the manufacturer is hiding it, so someone may have a nasty surprise if he use 4 ohm speakers poorly designed (impedance).

Fet Valve 400R/600R amplifiers are the best technical choice, I think.

Rocket

My problem is not only the money: I do not live alone and most important for me is a good harmony and affection that buying an object. WAF problem here.

ricardojoa

« Reply #42 on: 11 May 2014, 06:36 am »
Why not the synergy line? I think you can get the silver plate for additional cost, thats what i was told a very long time ago though. You could get the available option offered and still be under 2 grand for the unit.

maty

« Reply #43 on: 11 May 2014, 06:58 am »
Why not the synergy line?

Because they are ALL black with a with a red button too pro.

I did not tell you that I hope to regain use of the music hall for two years. Then the new amp would go there. WAF is really a woman problem  :?

ricardojoa

« Reply #44 on: 11 May 2014, 07:20 am »
Like i said, i did inquired about the silver plate  for extra cost and it was a while ago. Dont know if Frank would offer now though.

avahifi

« Reply #45 on: 11 May 2014, 02:20 pm »
Yes, the thick machined silver faceplate, complete with blue LED is available on all new AVA units except the small basic power amp chassis.

The price is $200 for preamps and DACS, $300 for full size power amp chassis. The power amp faceplate upgrade also includes a built in HumDinger.

Frank

maty

« Reply #46 on: 9 May 2018, 11:22 am »
I have optimized the photo of Fet Valve 400R from:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649334161-fet-valve-400r-hybrid-amp-w-black-facplate-blue-led-power-light/images/1457592/

It looks, inside and outside, like a DIY amplifier, old style.

By the way, I have not bought a new amplifier yet. I decided to bet to clean first my disastrous mains and I guessed right!

aln

And the point of all this is?
« Reply #47 on: 9 May 2018, 02:19 pm »
NT

dB Cooper

« Reply #48 on: 9 May 2018, 04:25 pm »
But I live out of USA

to Spain => [(2.700$ + shipping) + ( ) x 21% VAT/IVA] + [ ] x 4% duones = much money!!!

If shipping? 250$ => 3.712$ = 2.710 €  :duh:
  • Custom built hybrid 200wpc power amps are expensive. I can't afford a Fet-Valve either, but that isn't Frank's fault.
  • High end audio is an expensive hobby, period.
  • If the Fet-Valve is too expensive, look for something cheaper and/or used that is already local and had the VAT applied.
  • "Looks like a DIY amp"? Yeah, whatever. What an obnoxious statement especially considering you were starching your shorts over getting one just a few posts ago.

maty

« Reply #49 on: 9 May 2018, 04:34 pm »
Quote from: maty on  3 May 2014, 08:23 pm

maty

« Reply #50 on: 9 May 2018, 04:39 pm »
DIY amp != bad amplifier. It was only an observation, like old style.

I think that more DIY amplifiers are much better than other from brands that spend a lot of money in the case, audiophile connectors and in the advertisements. And recently I found that two brands do not even respond to my mail.

I am one of those who do not buy with their eyes and that prefers that the money be spent on what is really important: the circuits. It is the same AVA's philosophy.

When something I do not like I emphasize it, usually using the color red and some emoticon. I do not see any of that in the preceding comments. Well, only about my awful mains.

maty

« Reply #51 on: 9 May 2018, 04:52 pm »
With this modular design the repairs and the updates are more easy and cheap. It is designed to last for many years.

All the elements are well away from the big toroidal transformer.

Improvements? maybe an audiophile tubes. And RF/EMI filter inlet, maybe. Both are trial and error.

To finish, how many beautiful amplifiers do you know with so many voltage regulators?

Very clean power is very important, not only at mains.

maty

« Reply #52 on: 9 May 2018, 06:02 pm »
Other good design decision: power modules are very near to the RCA outputs, aka short paths in audio signals.

avahifi

« Reply #53 on: 9 May 2018, 07:03 pm »
As mentioned earlier, we can't build a low powered Fet Valve amplifier because the needed overheads (three raw power supply voltages, lots of regulators at various voltages, and assembly cost) make this uneconomical to build.

However we can build a low priced lower power amplifier with nearly the same performance as the Fet Valve amplifiers, namely our new Vision SET 120 ($899 for this little gem).

In design concept it is closer to the Fet Valve amps than you would think, just done all solid state instead of tube hybrid.  However, it only needs one raw power supply and three regulated power supplies per channel and at this lower power rating, can be built on only three circuit boards (two audio and one raw power supply).  The heat sinks are simple and are internal, and it all fits in our standard small chassis (17" wide x 3.5" high x 12" deep).

We have a history of building pure tube, tube solid state hybrid, and all solid state amps very successfully and well received.  Our new SET (single ended transistor) amps continue that legacy.

Give our 30 day satisfaction guarantee and $55 shipping anywhere in the USA you are not out all that much to try one.

Frank

maty

« Reply #54 on: 9 May 2018, 07:18 pm »
Yesterday, by mail, someone from other community where I am very active in the forums from many years, ask me about a poweramp with watts to move expensive electrostatic speakers.

Just now I answered him with three options. One of them is the Fet Valve 400R.

Class D (for now in quarantine). Class AB (SS) and Hybrid. Three technologies. Topologies very different. Three continents.

The three are very DIY building.