Super 10 Alnico Monitor!

zmaggio

Re: Super 10 Alnico Monitor!
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2020, 05:59 pm »
Congrats on snagging these beauties!  When they posted, I almost bought them thinking I would just tell Louis to keep the sub - that price would be amazing just for the speakers alone!  (I too thought my wife might kill me, though, as I really have no idea what I would do with my current pair of SAM XRS).

When you get them do report back with your impressions!!

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2020, 08:14 pm »
Congrats on snagging these beauties!  When they posted, I almost bought them thinking I would just tell Louis to keep the sub - that price would be amazing just for the speakers alone!  (I too thought my wife might kill me, though, as I really have no idea what I would do with my current pair of SAM XRS).

When you get them do report back with your impressions!!

I will! I spoke with Louis a little bit ago and I'm excited to hear these. He said they're extremely fast and recommends using the included sub. I figure I'll do that and do something else with the REL's for now. I've been really impressed with the REL's, especially considering I don't usually like subs in 2-channel systems, but these have been great. So I'm excited to hear what his 10' sub will do. I figure at this price, worst case is they don't work out (or my wife serves me papers  :wink:) and I'll sell them to someone else. I will start a new thread here once I get some time to listen.

Factorz

« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2020, 09:22 pm »
Congrats on the new speakers.

I own the monitor version and enjoy them very much. My space is also on the smaller size, but in talking to Louis he didn't think it would be a issue and he was right. Please report back when you get them.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #23 on: 19 Oct 2020, 10:24 pm »

I own the monitor version and enjoy them very much. My space is also on the smaller size, but in talking to Louis he didn't think it would be a issue and he was right. Please report back when you get them.

That's good to hear. What amp are you using?

Factorz

« Reply #24 on: 20 Oct 2020, 12:47 am »
Black Ice Audio F22

Maven86

« Reply #25 on: 20 Oct 2020, 05:05 pm »
I will! I spoke with Louis a little bit ago and I'm excited to hear these. He said they're extremely fast and recommends using the included sub. I figure I'll do that and do something else with the REL's for now. I've been really impressed with the REL's, especially considering I don't usually like subs in 2-channel systems, but these have been great. So I'm excited to hear what his 10' sub will do. I figure at this price, worst case is they don't work out (or my wife serves me papers  :wink:) and I'll sell them to someone else. I will start a new thread here once I get some time to listen.

Congrats!  I literally saw these an hour after checking earlier but was probably 55 minutes too late.  Would be curious to know how well they do with amps under 4 watts.  Was initially planning on going more efficient with the 8XRS but I just keep hearing good things about that "alnico magic".

seikosha

« Reply #26 on: 20 Oct 2020, 05:13 pm »
Don’t sell the 8xrs short.  It can more than hold its own against the SAM.  I’ve got both speakers and neither is better than the other.  Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Maven86

« Reply #27 on: 20 Oct 2020, 05:58 pm »
I've heard the 3XRS and they were great.  I would imagine the 8XRS would be a step up (3xrs on steroids as Louis put it).  What would you say are the areas where both speakers tend to show different strengths relative to the other? 

seikosha

« Reply #28 on: 20 Oct 2020, 07:38 pm »
As you know, the Alnico has a beautiful tone about it.  There are areas of the midrange where it really can shines and does things that the rs5 and 8 inchers can’t.  However, both the 3xrs and 8xrs to me have a smoother response in the treble region vs the Alnico.  I’d bet that a frequency response graph of all 3 drivers would show that the Alnico might be more jagged than the ferrite models in some of the higher frequencies.

I find that the 8 has an edge in micro dynamics, speed and resolution as well.  It’s really is a “big boy” version of the 3.  All are excellent speakers and I rotate all within my system.

Maven86

« Reply #29 on: 21 Oct 2020, 04:07 pm »
Thanks for the comparison.  It's probably going to be tough choosing between the 8xrs and 10 alnicos.  I'm wondering if tube rolling might help tame some of the rough treble spots you mentioned in the alnicos.

seikosha

« Reply #30 on: 21 Oct 2020, 04:43 pm »
Unfortunately I’m a bit of an equipment hoarder.  I’ve got tube amps (SET, SEP, and Push Pull) and solid state (Class A, AB and D) and I’m always tube rolling and switching equipment in and out of my systems.  Consistently, they all will reveal the same general characteristics of all 3 Omega drivers in my rooms and yes, you can often address small issues by tube rolling or even cable swapping, but you always have to be aware that if you fix one issue, you might create another!  It can be maddening.

Depending on what your ears, room and tastes in music are like will really decide which speaker is best for you.  There is not one absolute best and to me, all are exceptional.

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #31 on: 25 Oct 2020, 06:29 am »
Hello everyone!   :inlove:
Guess what. DynaTen haha. I actually wanted the 10" towers but maybe I've been dealt an Ace. The room fit TBD. I'm betting on another card in the Omega deck!

I have an 8" tower, The Hoyt-Bedford (disontinued) ferrite whizzer bottom port tower (fine). 3 pairs of 3XRS (an original, & 2 newer's (fine, fine, fine). I'll take a family photo when the DT's arrive!

These DynaTen are:
"24" tall, 14" wide, 11 1/2" deep"

90db though. Let me try the Adcom 535.  8)
I've queried HQ on the freq's. Pending.

Just wanted to keep the fam posted so here's inbound. Omega 2-ways! OMG

« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2020, 04:27 pm by SuperXRSSeattle »

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #32 on: 25 Oct 2020, 06:42 am »
ps. I was looking at JBL's, Klipsch IV series, Orangutan's, other multi-drivers. Recording 3-ways. Can you believe Louis did this! I simply have to hear them. Back with a video.  :duh:

I'll let you know about those stands

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #33 on: 25 Oct 2020, 01:10 pm »
DynaTen?

sunnydaze

Les Lammers

« Reply #35 on: 10 Nov 2020, 12:24 am »

A monitor version of the 10 inch Alnico?  :scratch:

Kray

« Reply #36 on: 13 Mar 2021, 10:44 pm »

Hi abd1, just curious how these speakers worked out?

I currently have Super Alnico (6.5”) XRS towers, but have been considering either the High Output version or some 10” Alnicos XRS like yours. I also currently use a REL T5i with good results.

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #37 on: 16 Mar 2021, 01:14 pm »
This thread is now six months old and still no critical listening commentary. I'm fascinated by the 10" AlNiCo (I have CAMs currently). Would love to understand how they differ / change / improve / degrade / etc.

TIA!

Doody

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #38 on: 16 Mar 2021, 01:17 pm »
I’m curious too. I still have not heard any of these speakers and hopefully will soon. These 10” speakers really interest me.

zmaggio

« Reply #39 on: 16 Mar 2021, 04:50 pm »
I saw that someone just sold a pair of Super 10 Alnico Monitors on USAM.

I find it odd that these 10" models are not listed among the other production models on the Omega website.