Hypex Ncore Amps Announced

roscoeiii

Re: Hypex Ncore Amps Announced
« Reply #100 on: 21 Feb 2012, 03:04 pm »
Jack, I think you need to eat more toast.

srb

« Reply #101 on: 21 Feb 2012, 04:06 pm »
Although it doesn't make it sound any better, I do like the look of a simple 1/4" to 3/8" thick flat aluminum front panel on an amplifier.  But on these, I would imagine you are probably sinking > $1,000 into aluminum clothes.  Each.

I would like to see the inside as I'm curious what the [big and beefy?] linear power supply looks like, though.

Steve

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #102 on: 21 Feb 2012, 04:45 pm »
I know they are relatively very lightweight, so I was surprised by their larger than expected size in these shots.

I think the apparent size is an illusion - it is simply close to the camera. The scale can be judged by looking at the size of the connectors on the back, more clearly seen here: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/ncore/1.html

mhconley

« Reply #103 on: 21 Feb 2012, 05:12 pm »
Only $12,000 a pair.

I wrote Bruno about the possibility of buying NC1200 modules, or the demo units, and he replied, "For the time being the NC1200 is being kept off the DIY market in order not to cause a perception that we're competing with our own customers (who sell finished products based on the NC1200)."  I understand and accept his decision.  It's a free economy and I support capitalism 100%.

Then again I'm cheap.  I wouldn't spend $12k on a pair of NC1200 based monoblocks just like I would not spend $6k on a pair of B&O ICEpower 1000ASP based monoblocks.  With the 1000ASP you could get a pair for under $2k from sources like D-Sonic and Red Dragon.  I purchased a pair of modules for $630 and built a pair of monoblocks for just under $1200.  I love the sound of my amps.

I'll wait for less expensive implementations or until the NC1200 is offered to the DIY crowd, either directly or surreptitiously.

Martin

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #104 on: 21 Feb 2012, 05:21 pm »
It still would sound better on batteries, at least 10-20%.  Maybe I can hunt down someone that can make a battery power supply for the Hypex.

I'm running a pair of Hypex UCD180s off SLA batteries.  I use four 12v 10ah batteries configured for +/- 24vdc rails.  It actually puts out +/- 27vdc.  The spec sheet states that +/- 30vdc is the minimum but this works and actually sounds better than when I tried it with +/-36vdc (six 12v SLAs). Go figure.  I'm probably only getting 60wpc into 8ohms instead of 90, but that's enough for my Zu's.

It sounds really nice this way.  It is the most "relaxing" amp I've had in my system, but not in the sense of sounding laid back or recessed.  It sounds very fast, clean and resolving.  But when I play music through this amp, I relax and I can feel the tension drain from my body.  I've never had another component do that for me.  It's a strange phenomena that I'm not sure I can explain beyond that.

Russ

fredgarvin

« Reply #105 on: 21 Feb 2012, 06:07 pm »

This is the back of the TBI Millenia. You can see that you can use 24V AC or DC to get the 32 watts per channel. You can even use 8AA batteries and get 8 watts per channel. This amp will sound great on AC, but is at least 40% better on DC.

I wished that Bruno would make a Hypex that would run on batteries.

Tom, what power supply is being used with the TBI? I'm thinking of picking one up.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #106 on: 21 Feb 2012, 06:26 pm »
That Theta amp looks like a fancy toaster!  Mine only makes two pieces at a time, this one looks like it makes 4.  The slots are big enough for bagels! :thumb:

Remote "darkness" control, direct via user-implanted chip...receives current from scalp-implanted solar cell...  One Theta user said the toaster is exceptionally quiet, even on darkest setting...my favorite Pop Tart flavor is..................................... .cherry! 
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2012, 02:28 am by James Romeyn »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #107 on: 21 Feb 2012, 06:42 pm »
I'm running a pair of Hypex UCD180s off SLA batteries.  I use four 12v 10ah batteries configured for +/- 24vdc rails.  It actually puts out +/- 27vdc.  The spec sheet states that +/- 30vdc is the minimum but this works and actually sounds better than when I tried it with +/-36vdc (six 12v SLAs). Go figure.  I'm probably only getting 60wpc into 8ohms instead of 90, but that's enough for my Zu's.

It sounds really nice this way.  It is the most "relaxing" amp I've had in my system, but not in the sense of sounding laid back or recessed.  It sounds very fast, clean and resolving.  But when I play music through this amp, I relax and I can feel the tension drain from my body.  I've never had another component do that for me.  It's a strange phenomena that I'm not sure I can explain beyond that.

Russ
have you tried running the amps w/lab-grade dc power supplies?  search on ebay, and you will find hundreds of these; either brand-new from china, or used from usa; such as hp, lambda, bk-precision, etc...

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #108 on: 21 Feb 2012, 08:28 pm »
It will be interesting if someone tries to get batteries to work and compare. I've got a few things on my plate before I can step up to these.

.. I'm really excited to be able to run my speakers completely full range with these amps. My current amp I have hipassed just because it's a lot better this way, but there won't be the same limitations with the ncores. Can't wait to have some real power/control to play with.

srb

« Reply #109 on: 21 Feb 2012, 08:33 pm »
.. I'm really excited to be able to run my speakers completely full range with these amps. My current amp I have hipassed just because it's a lot better this way, but there won't be the same limitations with the ncores.

Most people high-pass speakers so that the speaker doesn't have to reproduce deep bass and therefore can run with less distortion, clearer midrange and higher SPL, not because the amplifier can't handle it or will sound better.

Steve

Rclark

« Reply #110 on: 21 Feb 2012, 08:44 pm »
True, but my speakers used to be quite constrained in this area and needed the high pass. Now I'm stuck with it even though the bass quality is much improved post mod. I should have mentioned that.

They only go to 50hz or so but would sound great with a little more force at the bottom from a more robust amp.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #111 on: 21 Feb 2012, 08:59 pm »
It will be interesting if someone tries to get batteries to work and compare. I've got a few things on my plate before I can step up to these.

.. I'm really excited to be able to run my speakers completely full range with these amps. My current amp I have hipassed just because it's a lot better this way, but there won't be the same limitations with the ncores. Can't wait to have some real power/control to play with.

According to the link you provided earlier, in which Bruno Putzeys says this about the power requirements:
The same voltage as the NC1200 runs on 700 (roughly +/-90V). The NC400 runs on the same UcD400, but the security is panning as what more precisely so that I now sit at 72V. The NC400 also has a bunch of irregular power supplies of +/-16 a +/-25V needed for the input buffer. You can continue with an external VDR (15 a 20V referred to the negative voltage, same system as the UcD700) a three watt knockout.
- battery powering would be a challenge, both from the point of view of providing ±72-90v and providing multiple other voltages for different stages. I'm no engineer, but this does look daunting - much as I am attracted to the idea both of DC power and the huge amperage reserves promised by lead acid batteries (and capacitors).

Rclark

« Reply #112 on: 21 Feb 2012, 09:16 pm »
Yeah, not really worried. The amp seems capable of plenty with the "stock" supply   :icon_lol:

I do love my battery PS on my amp, but I've also never listened to top top drawer ac amps either.

OzarkTom

« Reply #113 on: 21 Feb 2012, 11:40 pm »
You might want to hurry and order if you want a Ncore on the 11th week. I see many others on DIY buying them. One from the Netherlands said he bought five Ncores with five power supplies last night.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #114 on: 21 Feb 2012, 11:55 pm »

This all reminds me of the high hopes when digital amps came on the scene. A lot of people were talking about the death of conventional amps. After living with these digital amps most seemed to ditch them for Class A or Class A/B. While this holds much more promise we will have to see how it pans out.

Rocket_Ronny

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #115 on: 22 Feb 2012, 12:24 am »
Ronny, it's panning now.  Many (did not count) new user reports in the same DIY thread in the last 24 hours...burned up a lot of the day reading.  No marginal reviews yet.  Users have the highest level of expertise, no beginners, reviewed in studio with well known master recordings, etc.

Again, I never read of anyone with earlier class D replacing the amps owned by and replaced by Ncore now.  I'm glad I don't have a costly amp! 

Unfortunately not much local audiophile presence here beyond Duke LeJeune, and the only studio I like employs active monitors. 

I'll compare mine to the superb AKSA Naksa 100 (here now) and Ampzilla MkII (TAS Product of the Year) late April.  The Naksa 100 is killer. 

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #116 on: 22 Feb 2012, 12:31 am »

Thanks James.

Maybe the Hypex might live up to the Hype, long term. If so, sure will be a game changer, although tube junkies will have a hard time flipping.

Rocket_are those tubes on - yeah_Ronny

OzarkTom

« Reply #117 on: 22 Feb 2012, 01:06 am »
Remote "darkness" control, direct via user-implanted chip...receives current from scalp-implanted solar cell...

I use two of those small gel cell 12V batteries that sells on Amazon fairly cheap. Get a 24V smart slow battery cgarger to usem but make sure you don't leave the charger hooked up while playing music, it blows out the 4amp fuse. I guess that is more than 24V. When I play music for background music, I use AC, for seriously listening, I use DC.

Another small improvement is use Moongel drum pads under the amp, that gives a little better focus. The pads can be had on Ebay for $6.95 for a set of four, including shipping. My buddy and I compared these to a lot of different isolation feet, including Stillpoints, and these came out on top. This is the cheapest improve,ent you can make in your system that I know of.

They should work nicely under the Hypex Ncore amps also.

Rclark

« Reply #118 on: 22 Feb 2012, 01:22 am »
Thanks James.

Maybe the Hypex might live up to the Hype, long term. If so, sure will be a game changer, although tube junkies will have a hard time flipping.

Rocket_are those tubes on - yeah_Ronny

I don't envy the people with mega dollar tube amps right now. There will be denial and backlash.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #119 on: 22 Feb 2012, 01:24 am »
regarding the p/s for the nc400, from what i could make from the smps600's data sheet, is that it outputs a max of 74v and a max of 0.5a.  (but it also says "max output short-circuit current = 7a" - not sure what this means?)  and, another issue that is confusing to me, is that the specs on the 600 reference typical 230vac euro power - not sure what the deal is w/120vac power.

link for datasheet: http://www.hypex.nl/docs/SMPS600_Datasheet.pdf

can anyone enlighten me as to what min woltage/amperage requirements, (i.e.: at least equal to the smps600), would be required to drive the nc400 w/a lab-grade dc power supply?

thanks,

doug s.