UcD2k - 2500W/4 ohms

JohnR

UcD2k - 2500W/4 ohms
« on: 23 May 2012, 08:11 am »
Not sure if everyone is aware of this, but you can get 2500W/4R modules from Hypex for 200 Euros:

https://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=3538

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
Re: UcD2k - 2500W/4 ohms
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2012, 02:27 pm »
any plan to use in your OB?  :green:

cheers
henry

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2012, 02:46 pm »
Is this an OEM item or can we buy them for our own personal use?  Between a pair of these and the matching power supplies we're only in the $1k (pound) area.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2012, 02:50 pm »
I assume you can buy it since it's in the online store.

I don't know anything about how well they perform, but since I saw it, and since this is the Hypex circle and that seems like a bit of a bargain (??), I figured post it...

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2012, 02:54 pm »
any plan to use in your OB?  :green:

well that was the initial thought ;)  but realistically it's wa-ay more than I would ever need.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2012, 02:46 am »
 :D

Great sub amp!

Anand.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2012, 04:01 am »
I guess if you were capable of designing a PS Audio type regenerating power supply this would be a great amp to do it with. USD $550 for the amp and the power supply makes it affordable.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2012, 12:39 pm »
Anybody with any circuit smarts please tell me if this high power version is essentially the same as the 400 unit  everyone is building?  I'd like to know if it is essentially the same unit but just higher powered.  Or is it a high powered unit that is a rougher cut for things like subwoofers or PA use?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2012, 12:41 pm »
Anybody with any circuit smarts please tell me if this high power version is essentially the same as the 400 unit  everyone is building?  I'd like to know if it is essentially the same unit but just higher powered.  Or is it a high powered unit that is a rougher cut for things like subwoofers or PA use?

Not the same.

NCore is new and different.

George

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2012, 01:07 am »
At Hypex' website I thoroughly searched (I thought) at least twice for such a super high-powered amp for my subs and didn't find it. 

Thanks for posting this, JohnR.

I'd appreciate a link to the Hypex power supply for this amp.  So about $550 USD total for amp and ps? 

Not to push my luck, but a link to good-value active LP xo (4th order, 50-100Hz variable for subs), level control, and possibly a parametric EQ would also be appreciated. 

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2012, 01:19 am »
I'd appreciate a link to the Hypex power supply for this amp.

It's right there on the page... ;)

https://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=3435

Connexelectronic is cheaper though...

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2012, 01:21 am »
Not to push my luck, but a link to good-value active LP xo (4th order, 50-100Hz variable for subs), level control, and possibly a parametric EQ would also be appreciated.

See current thread in the Bass Place.

DS-21

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2012, 01:47 pm »

All of the above and more: http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/detail/15-minidsp-in-a-box/flypage/71-minidsp-balanced-2x4?sef=hcfp

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2012, 02:59 pm »
I'd strongly recommend the 2x8 over the 2x4, because if you have hirez music, you can stream it directly to the 2x8, as it handles up to 24/96, while the 2x4 does not.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2012, 04:42 pm »
deleted for new thread

Occam

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2012, 11:26 pm »

The UCD modules are being upgraded to incorporate the first 3 of the 4 upgrades first implemented in the Ncore modules.
From the Ncore white paper -
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/ncore%20wp.pdf
Ncore technology combines the stability of UcD with improved load-independence, lower distortion and lower output impedance. The approach is multi-pronged:

1.) A mathematically exact understanding of selfoscillation.This allows optimization of largesignal performance.
2.) Improved comparator circuitry insures that actual behaviour matches the theoretical model as closely as possible.
3.) New gate drive circuitry improves open-loop distortion at moderate signal levels while significantly reducing idle losses.
4.) A new control loop ups loop gain by 20dB across the full audio range without sacrificing stability.

Amplifiers using all four of the above will be marketed under the name Ncore. Amplifiers using only the first three will still be sold under the UcD brand even though their internals no longer resemble that of the well-known 2001 circuit and their performance is already a clear step up.
numbering added by me.

As to the schedule and availability of these upgraded UCDs, as well as their subjective and objective performance, I've no experience or knowledge. Depending on one's metrics, the upgraded UCD modules might well provide a less steep cost/ performance slope than the Ncores.

Regards,
Paul

kevinh

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2012, 01:38 am »
IIRC the Ncore modules have discrete op amps for the input whereas the updated UcD modules will still have the integrated op amps.

ChrisPa

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jun 2012, 06:01 pm »
IIRC the Ncore modules have discrete op amps for the input whereas the updated UcD modules will still have the integrated op amps.

I believe the most important part of the ncore design is what is going on in the switching circuit rather than the input buffer stage. As I understand it most of the increase in open loop linearity comes from the detailed understanding and improvements in the switching circuit and the commensurate increase in negative feedback.

The nc 1200 has an opamp input and apparently it is noticeably audibly superior to the ucd models

kevinh

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2012, 11:54 pm »
Bruno indicitated they would be close to the NCore's in sound since they were incorporating a lot of the NCore technology.

I was just pointing out where the difference would be.

Initially Bruno was going to go with OP Amps for the Ncore input IIRC the conversation over at DIY the users lobbied for the discrete circuit input.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 15 Jun 2012, 03:31 am »
It's only my opinion, based on what you paid for it.

Still waiting on chassis, but got all my other parts today, IOW, still never heard my Ncore amps.

But it's likely, something that performs at the levels indicated, every single aspect of the design affects performance, some possibly a  little more than others, but the limiting element of every chain is the single weakest link.

Every gram of mass in a F1 race car exists only to contribute to performance or meet the minimum weight rule.