Sniff, sniff - my fave record store packing up after 39 years in Mill Valley

TheChairGuy

BTW, a great tweak. Get your ears flushed out.. I do this every 8 to 12 months. It's amazing what you might be missing in your stereo. It's not the amp, it's your ears!!!!

Gary

Yeah, you're right (and I've forgotten all about it - thanks)...flushing the ears is a great 'tweek'.  I have one ear (the right) with considerable build-up that requires flushing each 5 years by the Doc (they usually check both but invariably the left is in good shape)....but the kits you buy at the Drugstore are the same active ingredient I was told. 

I've used them, too...they don't seem to be as effective to me afterwards...as the Doc's $100 visit is  :(  :scratch:

John

TheChairGuy

Somebody kindly corrected an earlier statement I made via PM just now - that CD is incapable of producing ultrasonic frequencies...not, as I incorrectly indicated, infrasonics.

I've had quite a pressure-packed 60 days in my life - that ended, thankfully, today.  It's a wonder I got anything relevant or worthwhile out in print the past 60 days here at AC  :dunno:  My brain just plain hurts now  :wink:

Ultrasonic - Of or relating to acoustic frequencies above the range audible to the human ear, or above approximately 20,000 hertz.

That's what I meant...thank you kind sir for pointing out my flub  :thumb:

eric the red

Sorry to hear that, TCG.  Hopefully you'll be able to stockpile enough to tide you over until The Great Vinyl Resurgence!   :green:

A 20-25 year hole in new music basically means a whole generation of young guys like you won't ever hear your favorite music on the only current technology that depicts music as it's heard and played.....instead of pretending to portray it with an inadequate 44.1 sampling rate.

The interest in vinyl that exists today is likely to be short-lived and there will be no great vinyl resurgence.....you tend to listen to music you first heard when you were 10 or 12...and for you it was derelict CD technology; fortunately for me, it was superior analog  :green:
So what are you REALLY trying to say here John?  :lol:

TheChairGuy

Awww shucks - I was beating around the bush again instead of being candid  :oops:  :wink:

eric the red

....you tend to listen to music you first heard when you were 10 or 12...
That IS an interesting theory

dick

TheChairGuy

Heyyyyyyyyy....I res-emble that remark  :thumb:

ctviggen

....you tend to listen to music you first heard when you were 10 or 12...
That IS an interesting theory

And it's totally wrong.  I don't listen to anything from my younger years.  Then, I listened to heavy metal (Led Zep, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, etc.).  I have less than a handful of CDs from those artists.  Now, I listen to Johnny Cash, Jack Johnson, Ray LaMontagne -- the antithesis of heavy metal. 

Berndt

I could use the tendency quote to include motorcycles I had or wanted when I was 10~12.
There is a reason I collected suzuki gs-1100's for a while, not to mention Tm-400's...
I have a hard time listening to my musical choices from that era, only sooo much Ted Nugent I can listen to, and I think I passed my sell by date.

TheChairGuy

Village Music is gonzo on September 30, 2007....I've been stocking up a-plenty.  Bought 9 albums for $13.20 today while I was waiting for my sweet potato fries across the street at Pearls Phatburgers  :)

I'll go in at least once more, maybe twice before they close.  $50 buys a lot of albums there....future pickins' apt to be a lot more expensive anywhere else I find treasured LP's  :(

low.pfile

John, you might have a few more vinyl heads in the aisles than normal at Village music since they wrote this: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/04/MNTDRT85B.DTL&hw=records&sn=002&sc=803
I might head up on a weekend soon.

enjoy your music ~ed

TheChairGuy

Hey, thanks, I hadn't read that until now.  I get the Marin Independent Journal up here for local news (supplemented by USA Today)....The Chronicle gave up any real coverage of North Bay a years ago.  They don't even have movie times noted now for the North Bay edition. It's particularly odd that their coverage here is so slight as Executive Editor Phil Bronstein (yes, the guy once bitten by a Komodo Dragon and then-married to actress Sharon Stone) lives only a few miles from me in Marin.

Village Music was quite a bit busier than normal mid-week yesterday...I had just chalked it up to folks (like me) getting their last visits in.

Ed, $50.00 and a few dollars for Golden Gate or Richmond Bridge tolls buys you a lot of great albums still there.  The backroom stock, according to John, were only recently depleted (a first in over 30 years), but the store itself still has a pretty good selection of most genre's left. 

Someone(s) picked thru the reggae offerings (never overly large) sometime in the past couple months, tho, I noticed  :(

Frankly, one would never know how many were sold the past 9 months since he announced his retirement lookign inside that store yesterday - it's quite a selection still left  :)

John, you might have a few more vinyl heads in the aisles than normal at Village music since they wrote this: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/04/MNTDRT85B.DTL&hw=records&sn=002&sc=803
I might head up on a weekend soon.

enjoy your music ~ed

TheChairGuy

I made my last pilgramage to Village Music yesterday - 'twas a sad day  :(

Gone on September 30, 2007 - after almost 40 years in business under the same ownership.

I carted out a boatload of albums...including some of my first Opera discs (Placido and Pavarotti)

$50 goes a long way if you're in the area  :thumb:

Charles Calkins

Chair guy:

Were you living around here in the 1970's? Go to Berkeley on Shattuck ave. and browse through all the audio stores? There must have been dozens between Ashby and University. All gone now. Only one left in Berkeley that I know of.
Not talking about Circuit city or Best buy. I'm talking about high end audio stores.
Lot of those high end audio gear makers are gone too.
Lucky for us we have the circle.

Charlie

TheChairGuy

Sorry Charlie - I missed your post a couple months ago.

I've been here less than 5 years now...I'm a NY/DC transplant to the Bay area.

John