Room Correction graphs/data for SS8's.

yetis

Room Correction graphs/data for SS8's.
« on: 3 Jan 2013, 03:29 am »
Hi,

I am in the early stages of doing some room correction analysis.  After getting my mic and TASCAM unit set up, I took some base line samples and even discovered some connection issues with my amps.  (I am not going to post these today, as I know they have issues, as the mic/amp wasn't set up 100% correctly)  With that, I was wondering if anyone has some waterfall or other others charts of their SS8's. If anyone has some before and after charts, highlighting what changes they made, that would be great.

I am using a Behringer ECM8000 mic and a TASCAM 144 mk2.  This goes into a Meridian 860 processor (which has its own room correction functions and allows the addition of filters), but I am also using the REW room correction software.  Currently getting my mic calibrated... who knew such a thing was necessary! Who knows if it is.  I will know soon enough.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thank you

Austin08

Re: Room Correction graphs/data for SS8's.
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2013, 03:44 am »
There is a catch behind - ready to scratch your head all days long to try to flatten out your curve.  I saw many philes got a stressfull life after they do their measurement. Alot of labor and money involved. just my 2cts.  :thumb:

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2013, 04:30 am »
I have SoundScape 10s and an expensive TACT room correction preamp.  The SS10s are so flat that I don’t have any advantage in using its room correction mode.  I run it flat.  I do have a couple of absorber/diffuser panels that help the response.  I also used the Master Set procedure to adjust the bass modes.  The room correction mode always sounded worse to me.

Bob

Austin08

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2013, 05:09 am »
I love what Audyssey did for ht - specially in lower region and give me a clearer dialog in movie but not so magic when listening to music. Sound thin and compressed. Good thing is it suggested me to crossover my SS8 at 40hz which in turn, I crossed them at 50hz. But anyway, I prefer to listen to music through my BAT preamp.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2013, 02:11 pm »
Yetis what is your room size and speaker arrangement?

the rooms bass nodes can be an issue

acoustic treatments can tame things that are bouncing around
TACT is a great product
just lowering or raising the volume doesn't completely address the issue in some rooms

Bob - good to hear your SS10s are razor flat

yetis

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2013, 06:50 pm »
Ah, I see there are several who have fallen into this trap of wasted productivity!   I am trying to keep everything sane.  I almost gave up on the first day, as it was more than a little trial and error, getting the mic and TASCAM set up.  My processor also has its own set of unique features, which I am only getting to know. 

I will need to get the room measurement for you.   I will note that its NOT an ideal setup.  I live in NYC, so land is at a premium!   

One question for those of you who have done this. I have been using a HTC as a center channel and SS8's and the mains.  While I know that REW is only for two channel, the Meridian has the option of "small" or "large" center channel, with the small directing the bass to the mains.  I have it set up keeping the bass at the center.  I think this might be incorrect?  Simple enough to try both, but just wondering what your thoughts are?  I will keep you updated on how it goes.

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2013, 07:07 pm »
Ah, I see there are several who have fallen into this trap of wasted productivity!   I am trying to keep everything sane.  I almost gave up on the first day, as it was more than a little trial and error, getting the mic and TASCAM set up.  My processor also has its own set of unique features, which I am only getting to know. 

I will need to get the room measurement for you.   I will note that its NOT an ideal setup.  I live in NYC, so land is at a premium!   

One question for those of you who have done this. I have been using a HTC as a center channel and SS8's and the mains.  While I know that REW is only for two channel, the Meridian has the option of "small" or "large" center channel, with the small directing the bass to the mains.  I have it set up keeping the bass at the center.  I think this might be incorrect?  Simple enough to try both, but just wondering what your thoughts are?  I will keep you updated on how it goes.

Cross the center channel to the subwoofer(s). 

REW can measure any speaker in your system, so it's not limited to 2-channel.  You always want to measure one speaker at a time when taking full range measurements, so technically you measure in mono.  If you don't do this you'll get cancellations that will effect the in-room frequency response curve.  Measuring below 3000Hz with both speakers running is fine, but not above that. 

I don't have SS8's yet, but I learned a lot about REW and in-room measurements through my own usage of the program.  As audiotom said, room treatments and speaker/LP placement are the best ways to work out any issues above 300hz or so, while PEQ paired with subwoofers is a good way to "fix" the low end.  Waterfall plots of someone else's room, while good for comparison, won't do you much good because everyone's room, setup and situation is different.  Go ahead and post your measurements when you're ready and we'll do what we can to help you achieve your goal.

P.S.  TACT is sweet - much better than Audyssey IMO. 
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2013, 09:47 pm by Nuance »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2013, 07:29 pm »
One small caveat.

Yes - you should measure 1 at a time.  But you should also measure both together. If there are cancellations going on with both playing, that's what you'll hear and would want to adjust accordingly to avoid that problem.

Bryan

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2013, 07:38 pm »
One small caveat.

Yes - you should measure 1 at a time.  But you should also measure both together. If there are cancellations going on with both playing, that's what you'll hear and would want to adjust accordingly to avoid that problem.

Bryan

In the REW forum at HT Shack it is regularly stated that you're supposed to average the response of each individual speaker because that's more representative of what we hear.  Otherwise measuring both at the same time would show combined signals at the microphone, but that's not how our ears hear.  Is that incorrect then?  Based on what I've read and experienced, the microphone would literally have to be within 1/4 inch exact same distance from each speaker in order for any cancellations to not occur due to slight differences in arrival time.  If said differences in arrival time occur, would it not present itself as a null that isn't actually real while listening? 

How do you adjust to avoid cancellations that are actually real?  Better placement of the speakers and/or the LP, or would room treatments help? 

By the way, thanks for the post, Bryan.

Edit:  I said this in my original post "Measuring below 300Hz with both speakers running is fine, but not above that," but I meant 3000Hz, not 300.  Sorry about that.  My original post has been updated.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2013, 09:48 pm by Nuance »