Show coverage day 3

vinyl_lady

Re: My take on RMAF 2011
« Reply #60 on: 17 Oct 2011, 05:26 pm »
Quote from Standub
2. Flash drive from now on.  It seems like this was the cross over year and most every one has gone to computer only as a source.

Interesting.................I saw lots of great analog front ends.

Me too. Lots of analog front ends on every floor in the show. I brought my own vinyl (Neil Young Live at Massey Hall; The Decemberists The King Is Dead; Fleetwood Mac Rumours 45 RPM; The Beatles MoFi Abbey Road; and She and Him Volume II). With a couple of exceptions I focused on rooms with TT and could not get to all the rooms I wanted to hear. If anything, I saw fewer rooms with CD players and some rooms had both a TT and a computer.

Laura

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Show coverage day 3
« Reply #61 on: 17 Oct 2011, 05:32 pm »
Computer audio is coming on strong....more and more rooms going in that direction.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #62 on: 17 Oct 2011, 07:52 pm »
My impressions now posted inline with Pez's pics.

standub

« Reply #63 on: 17 Oct 2011, 08:16 pm »

Me too. Lots of analog front ends on every floor in the show. I brought my own vinyl (Neil Young Live at Massey Hall; The Decemberists The King Is Dead; Fleetwood Mac Rumours 45 RPM; The Beatles MoFi Abbey Road; and She and Him Volume II). With a couple of exceptions I focused on rooms with TT and could not get to all the rooms I wanted to hear. If anything, I saw fewer rooms with CD players and some rooms had both a TT and a computer.

Laura

Yes there were a lot of TT, my comment was more about the few rooms that couldn't play the CD's I brought.  I think we're starting to see the death of CD in high end now, and from now on more vinyl or computer front ends.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #64 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:41 pm »
  Again thanks for the photos. I'm very surprised the Analysis room did not get more  comments. Same for Soundfield speakers room.

charles
SMA

Hi Charles,

Well, there's this company called FedEx... :cuss:
Let's see, lost original shipment, "forgot" one speaker on the truck in the backup Fri morning shipment, etc., etc, etc.
It was only by going down to the FedEx hub on Fri 5pm and appearing ready to go postal, that I finally retrieved the 2nd speaker (when the knucklehead driver returned @ 5:45).
Sooo....Friday was a complete bust. I was only able to display Saturday. Bunch of folks passed thru. Packed up and left early Sunday. Ah well. lesson learned. As Danny Ritchie sez, drive, never ship!
You trust Paul Mah's ears? :wink:

cheers,

AJ

vinyl_lady

« Reply #65 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:57 pm »
Yes there were a lot of TT, my comment was more about the few rooms that couldn't play the CD's I brought.  I think we're starting to see the death of CD in high end now, and from now on more vinyl or computer front ends.

That was part of my point, fewer rooms with CD players. I'm not sure it's the death of CD in high end, but the CD is certainly taking a back seat to computer audio. Last year we did a comparison in Lou Hinkley's Daedalus room between a CD on the AMR 77 CD player (a great CD player) and 24/96 hi rez from his Mac Mini and the computer sounded better.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #66 on: 17 Oct 2011, 10:01 pm »
Hi Vinyl Lady,

I stashed away a couple of Amstel Lights for you in the fridge....

Eric (Standub) and I didn't consume them all :lol:

Tyson

« Reply #67 on: 17 Oct 2011, 11:03 pm »
Too bad, Pez and I came by on both Friday and on Sunday since the SA1's were one of the main speakers I wanted to hear this year.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #68 on: 17 Oct 2011, 11:51 pm »
Too bad, Pez and I came by on both Friday and on Sunday since the SA1's were one of the main speakers I wanted to hear this year.
Go figure :lol:. Such is my luck. No more Fed Ex! :duh:
You'll have to organize one of those Carolina GTG's one weekend, hopefully in South Carolina :green:

cheers,

AJ

shadowlight

« Reply #69 on: 18 Oct 2011, 12:19 am »
Go figure :lol:. Such is my luck. No more Fed Ex! :duh:
You'll have to organize one of those Carolina GTG's one weekend, hopefully in South Carolina :green:

cheers,

AJ

You want to drive up to NJ.  I will organize one.

standub

« Reply #70 on: 18 Oct 2011, 01:27 am »
Peachtree

This system sounded great except for the fact the speakers where too far apart for where they put the seats.  They where talking about how their jitter is so much lower than that of a CD player, yet they couldn't tell their speakers were too far apart.  Come on man.

skeeter99

« Reply #71 on: 18 Oct 2011, 03:39 am »
These were interesting. When we came in it was the little guys on the outside (next to the wall) that were playing. It had a very nice full sound which too me, was surprising considering the size and placement. I did ask the gentleman running the system if they were meant to be loaded on the wall like that due to their construction and he said "no they work anywhere in the room". Shrug.

When I did get tot he sweet spot, it was very hard to actually find the sweet spot. The image was lost. In fact due to the shortness of the speaker I felt like I had to duck down to get the best sound. I think these speakers might work, they just need some help in room treatments and placement and the imaging might get ironed out.

So what were the little speakers on the outside? Make/model/price?

Scott

jimdgoulding

« Reply #72 on: 18 Oct 2011, 03:52 am »
Standub-  Those Sonus Faber's LOOK too far apart to me and too close to side walls by a long shot.  Shoulda just grouped seating tighter. 

Pez

« Reply #73 on: 18 Oct 2011, 03:56 am »
Also, peachtree digital amp? Not really a great match to these incredible speakers. I think they bit off more than they could chew, trying to be like the big boys after coming from making cute little integrated computer audio systems.

Oh wait... Did I just type out loud what I was thinking? :scratch: :duh:

Tyson

« Reply #74 on: 18 Oct 2011, 04:05 am »
Pez, next year we are gonna have to work on getting you to actually type out on the forum half the sh!t you say to me in the halls between rooms :P

Pez

« Reply #75 on: 18 Oct 2011, 04:16 am »
I'm pretty sure I would start contradicting myself inside of 5 minutes.  :wink:

JakeJ

« Reply #76 on: 18 Oct 2011, 12:51 pm »
Again, fellas, a big thank you for all the great coverage!  I can tell it's hard work to hit as many rooms as you guys do and take pics and write commentary.  No small feat and we know it.  :thumb: :notworthy:

rbbert

« Reply #77 on: 18 Oct 2011, 02:36 pm »
Standub-  Those Sonus Faber's LOOK too far apart to me and too close to side walls by a long shot.  Shoulda just grouped seating tighter.

Both times I was in the room, the other system with the B&W's sounded better, IMO.  Part of it was probably the SimAudio amp, but I also think the setup was better there.  The speakers were  closer together, and they were probably fortuitously better placed for the room acoustics.  And I'm not a B&W fan (especially not compared to Sonus Faber)

rbbert

« Reply #78 on: 18 Oct 2011, 02:41 pm »
  Again thanks for the photos. I'm very surprised the Analysis room did not get more  comments. Same for Soundfield speakers room.

charles
SMA

I was disappointed by the Analysis room.  Very small sweet spot, and even there it didn't sound as good as I thought it should.  If they were $10k/pr, maybe, but they weren't close sonically to Sanders, for example.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #79 on: 18 Oct 2011, 02:47 pm »
That was part of my point, fewer rooms with CD players. I'm not sure it's the death of CD in high end, but the CD is certainly taking a back seat to computer audio. Last year we did a comparison in Lou Hinkley's Daedalus room between a CD on the AMR 77 CD player (a great CD player) and 24/96 hi rez from his Mac Mini and the computer sounded better.

A total computer DUMDUM like yours truly has to stay with CD's. Anytime I try to get into computer audio technical stuff I screw things up BAD!!! Oh Well!! That's Life.

Cheers
                                                  Charlie