Poll

Do you plan on getting vaccinated for H1N1?

Yes
31 (45.6%)
No
32 (47.1%)
Not sure
5 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

To vaccinate or not?

Wind Chaser

mjosef

Re: To vaccinate or not?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2009, 08:05 pm »
Nope...going H2H with it, may the best species win. I'll kick his azzzz.  :lol:

owenmd

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2009, 09:06 pm »
God bless Gary Null for having the balls to speak publicly about these criminals...!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2009, 09:21 pm »
I had the experimental vaccine for Botulism, and Anthrax during the first Gulf War, along with plenty of others.    I also had a non-FDA approved shot for the nerve agent resistance taken just before combat.   

I also had an interview with a couple researchers after returning from the Gulf War who were researching Gulf War Syndrome.    I don't have any symptoms that I know of..... it might explain some of my irrational behavior.   :)      The researchers were laying the groundwork for bad results in my opinion.   If you ask people, in large number if they are suffering from some widely spread unknown disease, you will scare the crap out of some of them and get a false positive.    They also lead me in the questioning.   They insinuated that large numbers of soldiers from my unit had reported having symptoms, they told me that there was suspected exposure of my unit to high levels of chemical agents.    So..... I'd be surprised if they got good data out of that survey.   

Also.. .there is a financial incentive for people to have Gulf War Syndrome.   You get paid for having symptoms.   

I voted "NO" on the H1N1 vaccine though.   Not that I'd worry about getting it, but because having my entire family vaccinated is $160-$200.    The kids have likely already had it too..... with 10% of our local school population out with the flu.   

dangerbird

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2009, 09:29 pm »
Just got mine,, I work in a Hospital,, and when I see respected knowledgable physicans (who work with H1N1 patients) step up to get one,, it kinda pushed me over the edge,,so I somewhat hesitentetly jumped in ,so they say.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2009, 09:42 pm »
Firstly, according to my reading, I and most of you are old enough to be well immunized by past illness earlier in life.
Secondly, I feel that our media are used to sell us more often than they are employed to educate us. Someone stands to make inestimable money selling these vaccinations and needs us to buy them up in a panic. I believe the "shortages" are just another aspect of their marketing plan designed to create a sense of urgency in the market.

Some 35,000 people die in this country every year from ordinary flu and this H1N1 has not begun to approach that. So Why panic? Why buy something you don't need? Why fall for this scam?

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2009, 09:58 pm »
I think scam is too harsh.  I am sure the product works.  People have died from it.  Also the comparison to "regular" flu is moot.  If a new one cameout that kills more then it is ok to get it?  Way is the regular varient the metric for safety?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2009, 10:03 pm »
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/10/31/CDC-Says-Kids-That-Die-From-Swine-Flu-Have-Coexisting-Bacterial-Infections.aspx

The other side of the story on Swine flu and what the CDC does not tell the public but can be found on their own website. 
Underlying health issues or the onset of pneumonia can be the cause of death but they mark it off as the flu instead.

Why the "need" to vaccinate for such a mild flu?  A healthy immune system is my main defense.  No vaccinations in my household!!

There is something going on and while scam may not be proper, I lean toward something nefarious somewhere.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2009, 10:31 pm »
I don't think there is a scam.   You just have to understand that the Govt. nor the doctors and scientist know how serious a given strain is going to be until it is too late.   

The 1918 influenza virus killed more people than died in WWI.   We just don't know when the next virus mutation that does the same will appear.    It is like Russian Roulette with micro organisms.   Eventually we are going to have to take the bullet.

Just keep in perspective, a virus like the 1918 influenza virus would make 9/11 look like small beans.   It would bring the world economy to a halt, much more so than our little self-induced real estate and bank fiasco.   

The Govt knows that.... they have smart guys/gals who sit around and dream up how to deal with this stuff and their vaccination recommendations for a new/updated strain of influenza has to take the worst-case into account. 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2009, 11:02 pm »
It looks like they let the full blown Spanish Flu loose in the Ukraine...bio-terrorism at it's best.

I wonder how long it will take to get to North America?  Probably about the time of the Winter Olympics..

I'm hoping we can shut things down during the summer so I can take some time off and go hiking.   

There were many conspiracy theory people that thought the Spanish Flu (1918 influenza) was biological warfare that the Germans let loose.    H1N1 or Swine Flu actually has some relation to the Spanish Flu.    One of the reasons it was so deadly had to do with the fact that large portions of the population didn't have immunity or antibodies that would recognize the virus.    The mutations that occur within the protein coating on the virus are those that change its structure enough to get around recognition by our immune system.   The other factor was the virulence, which gave it the unusually high mortality rate.   

That is why they get all excited about a new strain.   This one doesn't seem to have the mortality rate of a 1918 Spanish Flu, but it has spreads in the population quickly due to the lack of an immune response recognition.    It spread around our community faster than crabs in a whorehouse.   

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2009, 11:18 pm »
I don't think there is a scam.   You just have to understand that the Govt. nor the doctors and scientist know how serious a given strain is going to be until it is too late.   

The 1918 influenza virus killed more people than died in WWI.   We just don't know when the next virus mutation that does the same will appear.    It is like Russian Roulette with micro organisms.   Eventually we are going to have to take the bullet.

Just keep in perspective, a virus like the 1918 influenza virus would make 9/11 look like small beans.   It would bring the world economy to a halt, much more so than our little self-induced real estate and bank fiasco.   

The Govt knows that.... they have smart guys/gals who sit around and dream up how to deal with this stuff and their vaccination recommendations for a new/updated strain of influenza has to take the worst-case into account.

Not true according to researchers.  The flu didn't actually kill them.

Never trust the government! :duh:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2009, 11:19 pm »
Interesting article:

http://www.theflucase.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=700:microbiologist-alleges-baxter-qswine-fluq-vaccine-is-a-bioweapon&Itemid=64

Ha....  that is an "earth friendly" conspiracy theory.   Knock down the world-population to half a billion, make them Rockefellers and Rothchilds, and you won't have as much Global warming, deforestation and other environmental problems.   

There is one problem with it though.   The Rockefellers and Rothchilds wouldn't have anyone to look down upon.   Half the fun of being rich and powerful is to know that your better than the poor saps who don't have your influence and power.    :lol: 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2009, 11:35 pm »

There is one problem with it though.   The Rockefellers and Rothchilds wouldn't have anyone to look down upon.   Half the fun of being rich and powerful is to know that your better than the poor saps who don't have your influence and power. 

-------------------------------------------------------

Good one, Kevin. Same sentiment on exhibit with ultra high end audio ownership.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2009, 11:35 pm »

Not true according to researchers.  The flu didn't actually kill them.

Never trust the government! :duh:

The government isn't actually organized or efficient enough to pull off a good conspiracy theory.   Hell.... they cannot manage to buy a half-way affordable toilet seat so how is it that they are going to fool so many people, on multiple levels necessary for a good conspiracy?   

Cash for Clunkers is a great example.   A program to stimulate our flagging auto industry.   We spent $24K per stimulated vehicle sale and most of those sales went to Toyota and Honda.    We crushed and destroyed our wealth (cars), and stimulated our foreign competition and pushed consumers into even more debt, at a time when the American consumer needs to less not more debt.     That is simply brilliant example of government efficiency putting your tax dollars to work.   

Browntrout

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2009, 11:37 pm »
Firstly thanks to Windchaser for posting this, it's nice to see that some people on your side of the pond are also suspicious.
  Kevin I have no wish to get into an argument with you so shall just say I disagree with what you say about Gulf War Syndrome entirely.
  The virus that was reported to have originated from South America is interesting. The idea put forward that clever people in government would develope a contingency plan for a highly contagious flu which was aimed at minimising deaths is bizzare.
  There is nothing that can be done by a government reactively to a pandemic. When I first saw reporters from our ITV channel over in Mexico asking people what they were doing to protect themselves against this virus the people they spoke to did not know anything about it! How can we know about a contagous disease days before the people who are supposed to be suffering and living in fear of it? That does not ring true to my ears, straight away I was naturally suspicous.
  In my country (it used to be Great but is nothing of the sort now) Britain we were told that if we experienced bad flu like symtoms we were not to go to the doctors for fear of spreading the disease but to phone up a helpline and follow the advice given. Now how can my government give that advice then present in the BBC news statistical data for the number of reported cases and portray this as credible evidence of the number of people having caught this?
   The only deaths that were given as being caused by the virus in this country that I can remember were of very old people who also happened to have pnumonia or were suffering from terminal cancer or were very near to death anyway.

Does anyone who reads this know someone personally who has had a confirmed case of this virus? I don't know anyone and I asked others at work and nobody knows anyone that has had it. If you do please say so.
  In Britain at the moment there are quite a few strikes going on, steel workers, postal workers, the prison service is on the verge of walking out as the government is privatising the prisons on the sly and hardly any of this gets into the news. Why? because they don't want people to know, this is not something new or something that only happens in books by Orwell it's real and very obvious if you are brave enough to realsie the consiquences of openeing your eyes to the truth.
  Since we joined the European Union we hear nothing about what is happening in France or Italy or Germany, our closest countries and nothing, on the internet I read about strikes in France, riots in Italy the rise of Neo Nazism in Germany, all things caused by teh policies imposed by the Unified Europe mainly uncontrolled immigration. Our House Of Commons has no power at all, the only things it can discuss are fox hunting or other trivial matters.
   The news has to show news and rather than talk to us about the major failings of our governments or how they have handed over power to non elected maniacal europhiles by re-holding referendums in Belgium and Ireland with blanket media coverage in support of the YES vote they would much rather concern us with the impending doom of a virus from South America. We are on the verge of a totalitaran dictatorship in Europe and it is scary.
  That needed to be writen, I hope you can understand I live in geniune fear of the changes that are happening to 'Democracy' in Britain and Europe and it is not just this eccentric audiophile that feels it. Please be considered in your replies. :D

sts9fan

« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2009, 11:54 pm »
And the pub makes the classic blunder into politics.  Second only to getting into a land war in Asia.

EDS_

« Reply #16 on: 2 Nov 2009, 11:55 pm »
To any doubters.

1. Right now nearly every case of type-A flu in the US is H1N1.
1a. According to my doc; more people are sick in the wrong time of year and more people are dying than during a normal "flu" year. 
2. Here in Texas we've had a good number of young people die from H1N1 and it's derivative diseases.
3. My son had it as did his room-mate as did my son's girlfriend who attends a different university in a different state.  The room-mate was extremely sick, my son was given Tamiflu at the onset of symptoms and was far less sick for less time.
4. IMO the story is being under-reported vis-a-vis it's impact on college campuses.  These schools have been slammed with H1N1 - Georgia, St. Louis University (at SLU kids were quarantined) , Baylor, TCU, University of Texas, Rice and I'm sure there are others.  Apparently Georgia sent word to students that classes might be shut down - although closure was averted.

doorman

« Reply #17 on: 3 Nov 2009, 12:05 am »
As of today (Nov. 2/09) there have been 94 confirmed deaths linked to the "swine-flu'in Canada.
"Seasonal flu" deaths to this same period are said to range between 4000-8000!
There's "shenanigans" afoot, folks!
Both my wife and myself have had occasion recently to visit our respective Dr's. on other matters.
Both have denounced the present hysteria, and advised against vaccination!!
Best, Don

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #18 on: 3 Nov 2009, 12:07 am »
To any doubters.

1. Right now nearly every case of type-A flu in the US is H1N1.
1a. According to my doc; more people are sick in the wrong time of year and more people are dying than during a normal "flu" year. 
2. Here in Texas we've had a good number of young people die from H1N1 and it's derivative diseases.
3. My son had it as did his room-mate as did my son's girlfriend who attends a different university in a different state.  The room-mate was extremely sick, my son was given Tamiflu at the onset of symptoms and was far less sick for less time.
4. IMO the story is being under-reported vis-a-vis it's impact on college campuses.  These schools have been slammed with H1N1 - Georgia, St. Louis University (at SLU kids were quarantined) , Baylor, TCU, University of Texas, Rice and I'm sure there are others.  Apparently Georgia sent word to students that classes might be shut down - although closure was averted.

Our local school district has 1000 kids out with the flu or some other bug.   That is 1 in 10 students.   In terms of cases being "confirmed" H1N1, the hospital has but most of these cases are mild and the kids don't go to the hospital.    One of my sons friends was hospitalized though and it was confirmed H1N1. 

I don't work at the hospital so I have no idea how many cases are actually getting tested.   I'm not sure there is much value in testing for it.   All that can be done is to treat the patients for flu symptoms, which might include something like Tamiflu or other anti-viral prescription.   There isn't much value in testing for anything more than a sample of the population at this point to get good statistical data.   That may be interesting for those researching, not real helpful in treating an individual case. 

As an aside.... I'm joking about all the conspiracy theory stuff.   This is just sitting around the Pub shooting the bull for me.    What people believe is scarier than the flu.   :lol:   I hope most of you are joking.   

Dan Banquer

« Reply #19 on: 3 Nov 2009, 12:21 am »
My wife is an R.N. and both of us will be getting vaccinated for the seasonal flu and H1N1.
d.b.