BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

Xinon

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #720 on: 8 Mar 2011, 09:00 pm »
I took my Bdp1 to the next level .
Hooked it up to the home network , and bought the I-Pad ,  brilliant stuff   :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #721 on: 8 Mar 2011, 09:06 pm »
I took my Bdp1 to the next level .
Hooked it up to the home network , and bought the I-Pad ,  brilliant stuff   :thumb:

Hi Xinon,

Yes I have the same setup and using the iPad as the interface is just excellent. The new Linux based MPD interfaces like MPoD and MPaD are a joy to use :thumb:  I love the fact that this is all based on an open source technology (Linux) :D

I think one of the problems we are having with some reviewers and the BDP-1 is they do not really understand how all the building blocks go together to provide a state of the art playback system. They seem to focus more on why it does not make tea in the morning rather than how it sounds :duh:

james

Xinon

« Reply #722 on: 9 Mar 2011, 06:48 am »
The music first........and the sound with the Bda1 is the best I've heard  , all the other stuff is just a bonus  :lol:

I will try out some of the players for sure , but I really loved the Max interface .

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #723 on: 9 Mar 2011, 11:42 am »
The music first........and the sound with the Bda1 is the best I've heard  , all the other stuff is just a bonus  :lol:

I will try out some of the players for sure , but I really loved the Max interface .

Yes the Bryston MAX is great because it gives you a lot of specific info - ex - file type and sample rate :thumb:

james

Vipers

« Reply #724 on: 9 Mar 2011, 06:45 pm »
I think one of the problems we are having with some reviewers and the BDP-1 is they do not really understand how all the building blocks go together to provide a state of the art playback system. They seem to focus more on why it does not make tea in the morning rather than how it sounds :duh:
james

I think the above statement sums up the review in Hi Fi News this month tbh, it's a very positive review, with the reviewer agreeing that network streamed audio can prove dispapointing in his experience and applauds the use of USB storage devices to achieve the best sound quality possible, good news so far, but then condradicts himself in his summary by stating that the BDP/BDA combo is capable of making fine music but  represents an expensive way to achieve this level especially as it doesn't offer streaming or have internal storage that some competing products offer :duh:

As a side note, he also states that he preffered the audio from a flash drive over the HDD and that he compared 2 different S/Pdif cables and 2 different AES-EBU cables and preffered the Naim S/Pdif connection which is what I'm starting to find, the S/Pdif connection seems to give a livelier presentation which can be more engaging.

werd

« Reply #725 on: 9 Mar 2011, 07:15 pm »
I think the above statement sums up the review in Hi Fi News this month tbh, it's a very positive review, with the reviewer agreeing that network streamed audio can prove dispapointing in his experience and applauds the use of USB storage devices to achieve the best sound quality possible, good news so far, but then condradicts himself in his summary by stating that the BDP/BDA combo is capable of making fine music but  represents an expensive way to achieve this level especially as it doesn't offer streaming or have internal storage that some competing products offer :duh:

As a side note, he also states that he preffered the audio from a flash drive over the HDD and that he compared 2 different S/Pdif cables and 2 different AES-EBU cables and preffered the Naim S/Pdif connection which is what I'm starting to find, the S/Pdif connection seems to give a livelier presentation which can be more engaging.

At first i gravitated to the s/pdif - bnc connection. The bnc is somewhat of a bandaid for many recordings it seems. In 192khz this player is all xlr imo. I have been through three cables in xlr and currently use a Cardas. I just find the dynamics to kick in really nice in balanced. My favorite so far has been a .5mtr Empircal audio xlr i used for my balanced analogue connects in the past. Its lets you see really far into the recording with  a lot more air. Its a nice xlr and beats everything i have heard so far... bnc included.

JBLMVBC

« Reply #726 on: 10 Mar 2011, 05:20 am »

My experience is with flashdrive and the Bryston AES-EBU over the S/Pdif and for $100 the Bryston AES-EBU feels simply transparent, direct. :P

Vipers

« Reply #727 on: 10 Mar 2011, 10:16 am »
I have to admit I quite like having the different presentations offered by both the S/Pdif and AES connections, I find for up tempo music the S/Pdif really works but for vocal and laid back tracks I prefer the AES, also if I have a bright recording, switching over to the AES can really smooth out the top end and make it far more listenable.

werd

« Reply #728 on: 10 Mar 2011, 05:44 pm »
I have to admit I quite like having the different presentations offered by both the S/Pdif and AES connections, I find for up tempo music the S/Pdif really works but for vocal and laid back tracks I prefer the AES, also if I have a bright recording, switching over to the AES can really smooth out the top end and make it far more listenable.

I am opposite, i find the SPDIF to ease the bright recordings. This could be more cable related then actual BNC bdp1 characteristics. I have yet to hear a 192khz recording that is bright on bnc or xlr.

I find the digital connect to be dependant on the power cables employed too. Some power cables just enhance the high freq energy and i just end up using a digital cable to compensate to my own taste.

My power cables atm are a Wywire juice 2 on the bdp1  :thumb: and a Harmonix x-dc2 on the BDA, thats another big  :thumb:. These cables are permanent and i use the digital connects to tweak.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #729 on: 11 Mar 2011, 07:26 am »
...using Mpod with my iphone4 is just great :thumb:. and it shows the kbps/khz of the current played song, too!!!

al

pimandro

« Reply #730 on: 12 Mar 2011, 02:08 pm »
How do you see kbps/ khz on the ipod with mpod?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #731 on: 12 Mar 2011, 02:25 pm »
How do you see kbps/ khz on the ipod with mpod?

In the top corner where you see the album - touch that and the album cover opens - then touch the album.

james

pimandro

« Reply #732 on: 13 Mar 2011, 02:18 pm »
Thanks james, I thought he referred to the mpad.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #733 on: 13 Mar 2011, 03:19 pm »
Thanks james, I thought he referred to the mpad.

Yes it is confusing. IPOD is for MAC iTouch iPhone and iPad. IPOD is just for iPad.

James

srb

« Reply #734 on: 13 Mar 2011, 03:55 pm »
Yes it is confusing. IPOD is for MAC iTouch iPhone and iPad. IPOD is just for iPad.

Huh?  MPoD for iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad and MPaD just for iPad?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #735 on: 13 Mar 2011, 04:11 pm »

Huh?  MPoD for iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad and MPaD just for iPad?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thats how I understand it - can you load these apps on other than MAC products?

james

skunark

« Reply #736 on: 13 Mar 2011, 04:15 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thats how I understand it - can you load these apps on other than MAC products?

james

You run the mPod on either but if you have an iPad you will want mPad since it is formatted differently for the larger screen.  Both are great apps though.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #737 on: 13 Mar 2011, 04:21 pm »
Sent: March-13-11 11:07 AM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: Software update BPD 1

James

I have the wonderful BDP/BDA - 1 combo. Yes the BDP plays even better with the BDA than my dCS Paganini DAC :-)

Both is purchased at LYRIC HiFi - Oslo, Norway

NB: also very pleased with my 28B SST^2 Monoblocks, any upgrade suggestion for those ?? I use WW gold electra power cables wich increase dynamics and bass resolution :-)

Best regards,
Håkon Gjerde
NORWAY

saveloy

« Reply #738 on: 18 Mar 2011, 02:23 pm »
I have my unit on order. I was informed initially that the BDP-1 was in stock by distributor, PMC. Unfortunately it isn't.
The next batch of units should be with PMC by 26th March. And with me shortly after.  So I shall have to continue being patient till then. It isn't easy!

Kyri

Vipers

« Reply #739 on: 18 Mar 2011, 04:59 pm »
I have my unit on order. I was informed initially that the BDP-1 was in stock by distributor, PMC. Unfortunately it isn't.
The next batch of units should be with PMC by 26th March. And with me shortly after.  So I shall have to continue being patient till then. It isn't easy!

Kyri

Hey Kyri,

As frustrating as the wait is, I know as I had the same issue before getting mine, PMC told me it was in stock but I had to wait a month or so, believe me when I say you won't be disapointed, the BDP-1 is one of those very special pieces of HiFi equipment.

If you are in the London area you maybe interested to know that Zinc HT in Borehamwood are holding a PMC/Bryston day next Saturday 26th showcasing the BDP-1 and PMC's PB1i Signatures  :)