High humidity and planars

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
High humidity and planars
« on: 23 Jul 2018, 02:29 pm »
There is a good possibility that I will be moving to Florida in about a year or so.  That said, I have a pair of 2.5’s that I restored several years ago using the “Peter Gunn” method of regluing several delaminated wires. I have had no problems since.  I also replaced the ribbon tweeters by exchanging the original ones ( one was dead).  I’ve heard that humidity can be a problem with magnepan’s, is this a fact? If so, are there precautions that can be taken to mitigate possible delamination?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: High humidity and planars
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2018, 03:47 pm »
Depends on how you use your air conditioning. You can leave it on all the time, just lowering the temp a few degrees. the main effect is to lower the humidity. or/Plus most folks own and use dehumidifiers.
You Do have to lower the humidity somehow or face a lifetime of mold growing on everything plus the stink of mildew on EVERYTHING. Particularly LP jackets/
Newbies first mistake is NOT thinking of results of high humidity as a nightmare.
So the same day you get there, buy a dehumidifier! a BIG one.Use it!!!
You really need to keep the whole house humidity lowered..
Then no problem with your Maggies.
If you do not squeegee your shower walls now. You absolutely must buy a shower sqeegee and clear the water off the curtain/door and all the shower walls EVERY TIME. (This is something popular in California too.) To prevent mold growing like crazy in the shower.

Emil

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2018, 04:38 pm »
Don't move to Florida. Seems like to much trouble. :D

Avoid direct sunlight also if I'm not mistaken

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2018, 05:05 pm »
Florida is NICE. Aside from the hurricanes, the mosquitoes, The endless slow drivers who seem to have no idea where they are going, then the young crazy drivers who have gone crazy due to all the old farts driving like old farts.
Then the sinkholes.. Which are really only a problem if you buy a house. Getting it tested for sinkholes BEFORE you buy it, is a MUST.
Alligators sneaking under your car...Or in your drainage ditch.
If you live inland. the HEAT. If you live near the water, the PRICE. And Hurricanes... If you buy a house near the water, check how high it is about high mean tide..  Some land is only like two feet over high tide. LOL
On a beautiful day, with the (now rare) Mockingbirds singing.. NO lovebugs, wow.
Oh, yeah, love bugs.. They can clog your windshield so bad you can't see, and the roads so bad it is hard to drive for all the lovebug guts..
Google Lovebugs and Florida... LOL

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2018, 05:14 pm »
I would normally recommend contacting Magnepan for a precise answer, but not knowing what glue was used or the quality of the rebuild, they would only be guessing. The glues used today do not suffer from the same environmental constraints as the glues of the past. And if it is safe to assume you will be buying a home with air conditioning, I don't see it being a problem. Protecting any speaker from direct sun light is always good advice.

-Dieter

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2018, 06:12 pm »
Thanks...yes, a dehumidifier is in the plan and I never expose my 2.5’s to direct sunlight.

Pryso

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2018, 06:30 pm »
I'm not sure how Elizabeth missed humidity as one of her "aside from" list.  :roll:

But to the question at hand, I would think it might be more helpful to ask PG about the effectiveness of his method for customers in the southeast than questioning Magnepan.  I don't know what part of PA he lives in but from my past experience eastern PA can be very humid itself.

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2018, 07:43 pm »
  I don't know what part of PA he lives in but from my past experience eastern PA can be very humid itself.

boy, that's an understatement !   8 plus inches of rain in the past week and dew points in the low 70's !

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2018, 08:37 pm »
There were only a few delaminations and the typical end curl that were cleaned with acetone and dap glued lightly.  It’s the original glue from magnepan that is now 31 years old, but is holding up so far

josh358

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2018, 04:32 pm »
There is a good possibility that I will be moving to Florida in about a year or so.  That said, I have a pair of 2.5’s that I restored several years ago using the “Peter Gunn” method of regluing several delaminated wires. I have had no problems since.  I also replaced the ribbon tweeters by exchanging the original ones ( one was dead).  I’ve heard that humidity can be a problem with magnepan’s, is this a fact? If so, are there precautions that can be taken to mitigate possible delamination?
The early Maggies used an adhesive that was sensitive to ultraviolet. Later, they changed to a more environmentally-friendly adhesive that was sensitive to moisture.

I'm not sure which you have on the 2.5's -- Magenpan would be able to tell you.

The current adhesive isn't sensitive to either, but if your PG repair is holding up, you shouldn't have to worry about it. My IVa's have the water-sensitive adhesive and it's tacky but they've been fine since I reglued the loose ends. If the adhesive does fail on a larger scale you can get the rebuild kit from Magnepan and rewire the panels from scratch.

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2018, 05:13 pm »
Josh:

Good to know!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2018, 07:13 pm »
  Not for anything but you will have an central AC system ? Just adjust the humidity control. our residences in Flor. Boca and Wellington never have a humidity issue inside that is.
 You can move to friendly Calif and deal with Quakes,  Fires, Floods, Quacks and now radiation from Japan, oh my !!. Move and be happy.

charles

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2018, 10:00 pm »
As a random side note: if you'll be getting a new central A/C installed, make sure the contractor knows what they're doing and sizes the unit properly. A very common mistake is oversizing the A/C "just to be safe", which has the very unexpected result of actually increasing the relative humidity in the home.

mav52

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2018, 11:19 am »
I've been here 65 years, come on down your speakers will be fine . They make
Air conditioners and dehumidifiers for a reason , now if you like to leave your windows open pick a northern state. But like anywhere, it depends on Where you live.  My best advice stay above / north of Orlando and away from the coastal areas.  Too many darn people.  😀