NuPrime Amp Comparison

rustydoglim

NuPrime Amp Comparison
« on: 11 Nov 2015, 12:40 pm »
This topic is for comparison of various NuPrime Amps.  If you want to post a short review, please focus on the differences. Review of specific model should be in the respective topic, not here.
Questions and comments are welcome.  We try to be as objective as possible, taking into consideration what we have done in the design so this is not purely "ranking by ear".  When we set out to design a new model, we have a good idea of where we want to position the product and its target customers. And after ten years of designing high-end audio, our team pretty much can precisely control every aspect of the performance and sound characteristic. I am confident to say that there isn't any amp company today that can match our capability in delivering such precise control of the sound.

(comparison table updated Nov 18, 2015)

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers-and-preamps/amp-comparison.html
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2015, 06:22 pm by rustydoglim »

kevb

Re: NuPrime Amp Comparison
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2015, 12:50 pm »
Hi Jason,

Thank you for doing this.  So looking at that chart, does that mean the power amp section of the IDA-8 would be considered slightly better than the STA-9 for dynamics, resolution, high frequency extension and texture?  Or am I not reading this right?

Thanks!

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:08 pm »
I have updated the table. The previous format wasn't clear.  If several amps are in the same cell, they are ranked the same.
For example, for Dynamic, Resolution, Texture, IDA-8 and STA-9 are the same.

STA-9 design is derived from the same amp as STA-8, we made it more tube-like.  But since they are fundamentally from the same design, dynamic and resolution would be the same. For texture, you can argue that STA-9 would be warmer with more even harmonics (seriously, we can control the even harmonics of an amp, scary huh), but the difference is not big enough to separate them.

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:52 pm »
I think while many high-end companies have stopped innovating, NuPrime is ushering a new era of high-end audio.
It is not that we have been over charging customers ten years ago, but it takes many years of R&D to truly understand how to manipulate high power amp and Class-D designs. With each discovery, we are able to improve the performance, gain more control, and find ways to reduce the cost.

Actually what you have seen here are R&D that have been underway for the past year.  We are already hard at work on our new Omnia server and wireless platform.  If you ever think of buying a NAS, a hi-res audio player, a media sever - wait for the Omnia product.  This is a ground breaking product. 

cliffy

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2015, 03:25 pm »
Thanks for this info. It really does present a lot of possible flavours for people to choose from.

Where would amp section of HD-AVA fit into this matrix?

kevb

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2015, 03:35 pm »
I think while many high-end companies have stopped innovating, NuPrime is ushering a new era of high-end audio.
It is not that we have been over charging customers ten years ago, but it takes many years of R&D to truly understand how to manipulate high power amp and Class-D designs. With each discovery, we are able to improve the performance, gain more control, and find ways to reduce the cost.

Actually what you have seen here are R&D that have been underway for the past year.  We are already hard at work on our new Omnia server and wireless platform.  If you ever think of buying a NAS, a hi-res audio player, a media sever - wait for the Omnia product.  This is a ground breaking product.

That will be interesting.  I am definitely intrigued.

I have been looking squarely at the Auralic Aries Mini as a music server into whichever NuPrime product(s) I end up purchasing next, but I can hold off for the time being as I already have a dedicated PC for the task. The PC is fine, just too big and bulky with too many unnecessary features.  Which is why I am looking for smaller for a music server.  But I also want it to be headless and be able to control it remotely like I can with my PC.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2015, 07:21 pm »
Thanks for this info. It really does present a lot of possible flavours for people to choose from.

Where would amp section of HD-AVA fit into this matrix?

It is the same amp section as the IDA-16.

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2015, 01:56 am »
That will be interesting.  I am definitely intrigued.

I have been looking squarely at the Auralic Aries Mini as a music server into whichever NuPrime product(s) I end up purchasing next, but I can hold off for the time being as I already have a dedicated PC for the task. The PC is fine, just too big and bulky with too many unnecessary features.  Which is why I am looking for smaller for a music server.  But I also want it to be headless and be able to control it remotely like I can with my PC.

PM me and I can tell you more about the Omnia server. It is expected to ship sometime late January if we are lucky.
I started an Omnia topic here and gave away some spec and features for the Omnia.  Or we can continue the Q&A on that Omnia topic.

mr_bill

« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2015, 04:42 am »
I'd like to know more about the Omnia.

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2015, 06:30 am »
I think Rustydoglim was suggesting that more Questions and Answers regarding OMNIA could be posted HERE

That thread already has some info.

in case some didn't recognize that HERE above is a link, here is the actual URL of the thread Rustydoglim mentions below.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137367.msg1461310#msg1461310
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2015, 04:53 pm by John Casler »

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2015, 04:48 pm »
I mean post questions about Omnia on the Omnia topic, not here. Omnia is a complex platform and shoud have its own topic.

KLH007

« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2015, 03:32 am »
I'm surprised to see the ST-10 at the bottom of the warmth category? In earlier posts the IDA-16 was listed as less warm than the ST-10.

JackD

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2015, 03:43 am »
007KLH

Two people who have had all three in their system have told me that the ST-10 is between the IDA-16 and IDA-8 in terms of warmth.  They both described the 16 as "lean."

KLH007

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2015, 04:32 am »
007KLH

Two people who have had all three in their system have told me that the ST-10 is between the IDA-16 and IDA-8 in terms of warmth.  They both described the 16 as "lean."

Jack, Thanks for the reply, I figured the ST-10 would not be as "lean" as the IDA-16.

rustydoglim

« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2015, 06:20 pm »
I updated the Comparison table on the website

ChuckT

« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2016, 06:53 am »
I notice there is a product missing in the Nuprime line, and that is the integrated amp. I wanted to upgrade my IDA-8 but the next one up is the IDA-16, but I want a separate dac input to a pure integrated amp. Any plans for that hole to be filled?

rustydoglim

« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2016, 07:39 am »
I guess you want more analog inputs. Because we put very good (switch resistor design) preamp and volume control into our DAC and integrated DAC.  There is just no demand anymore for integrated without a DAC. If we make one, you won't pay for it anyway because it will be too expensive. The price of a product goes up dramatically if it is only made for a few. This has nothing to do with the actual cost of material.

ChuckT

« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2016, 02:35 pm »
I found that very odd since if you consider how many pure dac are made and sold every year, this will be the number of potential integrated amps + preamp & amp in buyers (assuming they ditch their old system).
Unless you assume that all who buys a pure dac will only buy a separate preamp and amp, but I can tell you this is not the case. I, for one, wants a good integrated amp. The IDA-8 is not good enough since I found the RCA input do not live up to the amps potential, any external dac I use for input will go thru the IDA8 ESS dac and I don't want that. To give you some ideas, I am planning to play with some multibit and R2R dacs.
Give me a ST10 or STA9 with a good preamp section and I will buy it immediately.

rustydoglim

« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2016, 03:58 pm »
What would considered pure DAC? All DACs have preamp built in.
So if you have DAC-9 or DAC-10 with a stereo amp, why do you need a preamp?
We had integrated amp before with Nuforce models and the message we got from sales channels is that people want integrated with DAC.

HPA-9, DAC-9 and STA-9 together is an incredible set. throw in ST-10 and DAC-10 in the mix.

Jason

audioguy213

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:31 pm »
Does the ST-9 move on the chart when used a a monobloc?
I see the bridged power goes up, what about soundstage, resolution bass extension, etc.
Does a mono bloc ST-9 start to approach the ST-10 in that regard, or does the sonic tuning mean it is consistent on the chart, just with more headroom when used as a mono?