Voltage consistently 125v- Do I need to address this?

schw06

I have measured the voltage from my outlets and it appears to be a consistent 125v. There doesn't appear to be significant spikes or sags and the waveform appears to be smooth. Does that pose a problem to my audio equipment? Particularly, does that shorten tube life in tube amps? Does it alter the bias setting in SS amps? Am I concerned about nothing or does this need to be addressed with voltage regulation? Thanks in advance for the input.
David

doctorcilantro

Re: Voltage consistently 125v- Do I need to address this?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2014, 07:53 am »
Good question. My P3 can go up to 125v and I see the tubes bias up closer to 40mA as opposed to running 110 or 120v.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2014, 11:06 pm »
Now 125V is becoming the new nominal 120V.
I have a little 'Kill-a-Watt' meter plugged in all the time. Over a period of a few months, the voltage ranges from 115.9V to 125.1V.
But during the last few weeks of rather cold weather (about 0F, plus or minus) I sometimes see it at 125.5V which surprised me.

Modern designs should handle 125V very well. But legacy and boutique equipment that was designed for 110V or 115V or even 117V might have problems and the problems might start with the power transformer overloading.

schw06

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2014, 11:14 pm »
Thanks so much for the response Speedskater. I was concerned that I would need to purchase a voltage regulator like the Furman SPR-20I so that gives me some mental and fiscal relief. Much appreciated.
David

One and a half

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2014, 02:21 pm »

But during the last few weeks of rather cold weather (about 0F, plus or minus) I sometimes see it at 125.5V which surprised me.

The colder temperatures allow for better cooling of the overhead wires and transformers than at 75F, the losses are less, so the voltage increases.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2014, 01:21 pm »
You could use a bucker transformer to knock down the voltage. I use one for my system since my wall voltage is high at times.

tx2sturgis

• Texas Panhandle
« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2015, 04:36 am »
I know...old topic....but here goes:

I recently bought a chinese intergrated amp, and I notice the power connector says 110v.

Ok....

Measured my AC and its about 125v.

Ooops.

Opened the amplifier, and measured the filament voltage across the EL84s: 6.5 volts, supposed to be 6.3.

Next, I measured the plate voltage and its about 470, with a couple of 450v caps..

Ooops.

SO...I ordered a variac and a stepdown transformer...when I get those in I will do some more testing.

You know, this little amp might last 100 years or it may go thru tubes every 2 months....and blow those caps too...

Updates will follow...
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2015, 10:39 pm by tx2sturgis »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2015, 12:38 am »
There seems to be a very common belief (and not just in audio system areas) that the US normal line voltage is 110/220 Volt. It's been well more than 1/2 century since that was true.

For those competent to work safely with AC line voltages, consider a DIY buck/boost transformer. To lower the line voltage.