X-LS Encore with Platinum Bypass Upgrade ?

Ron

X-LS Encore with Platinum Bypass Upgrade ?
« on: 3 Apr 2013, 04:21 pm »
  All the X-LS Encores speakers that I have built date have the Sonicap capacitors, Mills resistors, and No-Rez performance upgrades. All of these upgrades did take the performance of the X-LS Encores to a higher level compared to the stock version. My question is would the performance level be upgraded even more with platinum bypass capacitors installed in the high pass filters? If so would the performance level be worth the added cost? I know from experience that the platinum bypass capacitors do provide more detail and more separation between the music in Danny's "N" series speakers, but I don't know if it would provide much of an improvement with the X-LS Encore's which use a dome tweeter?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: X-LS Encore with Platinum Bypass Upgrade ?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2013, 04:39 pm »
The platinums work in the X-series too.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2013, 04:42 pm »
Improved detail, probably, but since the upgrade would cost as much as the rest of the kit combined, I can't see where this is cost effecient.  I think you'd be better off putting the money toward an N2x kit.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2013, 04:55 pm »
Hey Ron
That's an interesting question.    I think  I've read in some of the  X Statik threads of people using the platinum  bypass caps  and as you know,  the X Statiks use  that same tweeter/
Now, if I understood that  article I read the other night on bypass caps,   the purpose of the  bypass cap is to completely discharge the main  cap to prevent "smearing of the music" if that   main cap is not completely  discharged/
I would think that   this would be bemnificial  om most  speakers as  it is going to provode sepereration  and therefpre  greater detail.
Guess  the question is how much  of an improvement  is goint to be  noticed....

I know  that  so far in the OB7's, I am noticing  a  consdierable difference, or  at least what I consder to be ..  In  a way,  it may not be a fair comaprision as  they are different speaker designs  ....on the other hand, they do use the same   tweeter.  I'd have to say  to this point,  I've  heard more  of an improvement than  I had expected and as we discussed,  I think  it will only get better  with  more burn in time,
I wish I  had  heard   a pair of N  series speakers with  no   upgrades so I could compare    how much  the sonicaps alonge made ,  then  how much  of a difference adding the  platinum  bypasses made/

I'm anxious to  hear what Danny  has to say  regarding the paltinum bypasses  pssibly being used in the X LS Encores

-jay
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2014, 07:02 am by Captainhemo »

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2013, 05:00 pm »
Morning,

I put plat bypass caps on the encore xls kit I got from danny this past week.  I can her a very strong difference in the speed and presentation.  I actually tried them on the basic board xo s and i took those out and put in a point to point xo with all upgraded parts.  In both cases there was more than a JND.  I know that the parts cost more than the kit, but I wanted to see what would happen just for the giggles.  Did I pay more than the kit, yep, do i care, nope.  I learned something.   

I also used some Jensen High End Caps too, they were not as beneficial as the plats.

Jon P

brother love

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2013, 05:07 pm »
Ron,

Have you used the Sonicap Gen 2 as bypass capacitors?  I have sampled Gen 2 & Platinum bypass capacitors in GR Research speakers ( N2x & N3's) & av123 speakers (ELT525's).

I currently have XL-S Encores w/ Skiing Ninja Elite upgrades in my 2nd system.  Xovers have Sonicap capacitors but no bypasses of any variety.

Platinum bypass caps is approx. a 5-10% improvement vs. Gen 2 bypass caps to my ears.  Hard to say how much diff. makes it worth the add'l costs...

YMMV.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2013, 05:08 pm »
, but I wanted to see what would happen just for the giggles.  Did I pay more than the kit, yep, do i care, nope.  I learned something.   
if it's an experiment, or for giggles, sure, whatever floats your boat.... but the question was "would the performance level be worth the added cost?"- a question that always has different answers for different people with different incomes and different motivations.

jparkhur

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2013, 05:11 pm »
For 200 dollars for a full xo... no, better to up going up to the N2 and the Neo Tweeter plus bypass there.   Its like putting  a corvette engine in a volkswagon bug.  It goes fast, but is worth more than my car.  It actually has a small block 350 in the front.   I talk to Danny, and if i can quote him correctly, the best upgrade for the xls was the bypass caps alone-if we are being frugal....

So... NO, but Yes....it sounds better...

Im a billionaire.. .so I don't mind...    JK

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2013, 05:21 pm »
It is just like these guys have stated already. It will make the same difference as is made in other speakers.

If it is worth the added cost on a low cost kit of this type? For some maybe, for most, maybe not.

Its like putting  a corvette engine in a volkswagon bug.  It goes fast, but is worth more than my car.  It actually has a small block 350 in the front.

Jon, are you serious? Do you have a 350 in your bug?

Ron

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2013, 01:40 pm »
  Thanks to everyone for you comments regarding my question about upgrading the X-LS Encore crossovers with Sonicap capacitors and Mills resistors and possibly adding platinum bypass caps to improve the sound quality even more. One other idea that I thought of is to leave the exiting non-inductive  resistors and metalized polypropylene capacitors, which are good quality, and bypass them with .1 uf or .033 uf film and foli bypass capacitors. I know that it wouldn't be as good as using Sonicaps capacitors, Mills resistors, and platinum bypass capacitors, but should still improve the sound and would be whole lot cheaper. Your thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2013, 03:31 pm »
Ron, the X-LS Encore crossover boards already have the caps by-passed with a .1uF Gen.2 Sonicap. It is an inexpensive way to take them up a level.

I'd say the next step in taking them up a notch is to replace the standard poly caps with Sonicaps.

emac

« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2013, 03:34 pm »
I'd put Platinums in my X-Omni's with good effect.  Had also tried Gen II's, and found that the Platinums were clearly better.  However, I'm not sure about the cost to benefit ratio.  If you're adventuresome, you can try a quality bypass cap that doesn't cost as much, such as some of the Obbligato's or the AmpOhm's.

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2013, 10:11 pm »
Danny,  what about   going from the stock  caps to  say the  Erse Pulse X like you use  as standard  in the AV and N series speakers  ?  I never did hear the N series without the sonicpas so  I don't know how much  of a difference  they atually made...  just wondering  if you'd get a reasonable   increase in perfroance in the X LS Encores  by going to the   Pulse X caps which are quite a bit cheaper than the  Sonicaps

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2013, 10:18 pm »
Danny,  what about   going from the stock  caps to  say the  Erse Pulse X like you use  as standard  in the AV and N series speakers  ?  I never did hear the N series without the sonicpas so  I don't know how much  of a difference  they atually made...  just wondering  if you'd get a reasonable   increase in perfroance in the X LS Encores  by going to the   Pulse X caps which are quite a bit cheaper than the  Sonicaps

jay

If I had my choice I'd choose the Erse Pulse X over the poly caps that come on the board, but that is not much of an upgrade. They are pretty close to begin with.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2013, 03:18 pm »
I've rebuilt a pair of X-LS's with Erse caps and sonicaps and compared them.  The Erse version was still a great sounding speaker but noticeably warmer sounding.  The sonicap version was more detailed and just opened up more into the room. 

I sold the former to a friend who paired them with an old crappy receiver and they sounded great.  He was blown away and said they were the best sounding speakers he's ever had. :thumb:

I'm still using the sonicap version in my home theater!

jparkhur

« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2013, 10:49 pm »
Suped up xo and it is much more detailed and sound stage is huge