Re: Captainhemo's OB-7 Build
« Reply #40 on: 16 Mar 2013, 12:56 am »
Very nice Jay, I love the clean lines.

Neil

Captainhemo

« Reply #41 on: 16 Mar 2013, 05:07 am »
Thanks Neil  .
I  have sealed them up with a glue /water mix  now and sanded the glue smooth.  Might try and get them primed in the next day or so.  Still trying to make a final  call on the paint.   I put that sample I sprayed up on top of my speakers  now,  and    nt sure it is going to look as good in the room as I  had first figured .  A dark gun metal or charcoal might be better

-jay
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2013, 06:59 am by Captainhemo »

Captainhemo

« Reply #42 on: 18 Mar 2013, 12:08 am »
Here is another  bit of an update...

I got some  more Behr Premium paint/primer combo  to use as  primer again.  I just get it tinted black. You can get the little  "sample " pint s for $5  a piece at Home Depot.   Here are  a coouple photos   after a good coat on each speaker.  I haven't sanded   yet ... will probably give  them  just a light  sanding  then  roll one more coat.

Here's another...

The  copper idea is   done for sure.     Final color is  back  to my very original thoughts  which   is a  charcoal.  I went out and looked at paints this am  and found    some   metallic charcoal that     I hope I'll be happy with

If the weather  up here co operates,  I'll   get them sprayed this week.  Today it is really chi9lly with  North winds blowing

-jay

NeilT

« Reply #43 on: 18 Mar 2013, 01:13 am »
Looking good and getting closer to a smoke test, can't wait to hear your evaluation.
Are you going with a black grill cloth?

Neil

Captainhemo

« Reply #44 on: 18 Mar 2013, 01:25 am »
Looking good and getting closer to a smoke test, can't wait to hear your evaluation.
Are you going with a black grill cloth?

Neil

Hi Neil
Yeah,   getting   closer,  getting more  anxious too :)
Yes, gill cloth will be black.  Hoping there will be  a bit of contrast between    the paint and the drivers    or grill cloth when the grill s are on.  In that regard,  I think the copper would have looked great,  just didn't really fit the room.,
I did do a basic   test of the cross overs when I recieved them from Ron and everything  was wroking. 

Danny,  I'm assuming tht even with the  sealed  lower cabinets I should still use an ounce of acutsta stuff at the back of the cabinet behind each woofer ?

-jay

Ron

« Reply #45 on: 18 Mar 2013, 11:11 am »
  They are looking great Jay!  :D I think metallic charcoal is an excellent choice for the final finish. Really anxious to see pictures of the finished speakers and to read your impression on how they sound.

Ron

Captainhemo

« Reply #46 on: 18 Mar 2013, 02:01 pm »
  They are looking great Jay!  :D I think metallic charcoal is an excellent choice for the final finish. Really anxious to see pictures of the finished speakers and to read your impression on how they sound.

Ron

Thanks Ron.
I'm    anxious too, can't wait  :o

Supposed to stay kind of cold the next few  days though,  actually suppposed to get some snow this am

-jay

lacro

« Reply #47 on: 18 Mar 2013, 11:19 pm »
Jay,
 You and I were working on cabinets at the same time last summer. You have moved light years ahead of me with your build speed and new projects. I am just finishing my FIRST build! Your latest project is looking great, and I am sure you will now have the ultimate in sound! Where do you go from here?
 Great work, can't wait to see the final finish... :thumb:

Larry

Captainhemo

« Reply #48 on: 18 Mar 2013, 11:38 pm »
Jay,
 You and I were working on cabinets at the same time last summer. You have moved light years ahead of me with your build speed and new projects. I am just finishing my FIRST build! Your latest project is looking great, and I am sure you will now have the ultimate in sound! Where do you go from here?
 Great work, can't wait to see the final finish... :thumb:

Larry

Hi Larry
Good to hear from  you.   Thanks for the compliments  on the 7's so far, I am really pleased with how they are turning out.
Yup,  I remember  reading your  thread as I was doing the N3 TL's last summer.  .  I've actually been watching your thread again as  you put the finishing touches  on the speakers and stands. Man,  they look  awesome.  I'm anxious to see  your speakers parked on top of those stands .  I built a pair of  Encores for my neice for Christmas and I think you are going to be  surprised at  just how good they sound,  I was impressed
As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread,  this build was  sort of unexpected as I hadn't  planned on    getting rid of the N3's,  I love them.   But my folks really wanted a  pair and  it  gave me the chance to   move up   a level so I'm pretty excited.

I'm planning on giving my folks  my current sub as well so  my next build will probably be a  servo sub to go with the  OB7's but that will be a few months down the road

Hoping the weather warms back up so I can     finish up these cabinets.  It was snowing here this morning  :duh:

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #49 on: 18 Mar 2013, 11:54 pm »
Here is another quick update. 
Cabinets  were lightly sanded  and a  2nd coat of primer rolled on.
Too cold to be working for long out in the gargae so  decided to   cloth the grill frames.  This is not my favorite part of building speakers but I guess it has to be done.  I think they will look good ove the charcoal once I get the cabinets sprayed

Decided to  do the grills full length (- 1/2" all the way around) after photoshopping Neils pics and seeing how they'd look :)
Here is  shot of one of the cabinets  with the 2nd coat of primer and  a completed grill . Sort of a preview I guess

-jay

NeilT

« Reply #50 on: 19 Mar 2013, 01:35 am »
Damm, that looks good Jay.  :thumb:
I really like the grills.

Neil

Captainhemo

« Reply #51 on: 19 Mar 2013, 05:58 am »
Thought you might like to see that one Neil as I know we were  discussing the full length grills
I was a little worried at first as I only  used 6 pairs of magnets on each  (1/4" x 3/8"  N52's.  No  issues, lots of  holding pwer

-jay

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #52 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:07 pm »
Very nice grills !  Could we get more detail on how they are made as I have never made grills.  Where is the material from?

Captainhemo

« Reply #53 on: 19 Mar 2013, 07:02 pm »
Very nice grills !  Could we get more detail on how they are made as I have never made grills.  Where is the material from?

Yup,  the grills are pretty easy to make actually,  I  just don't like doing the cloth stage

To start I  just used 1/2" MDF .  Because I wanted  1/2"   smaller than the baffle all  the way around,  I  cut 2 pieces  48.5 x 7"  .  Once the blanks are cut,  I layout the magnet positions on the frames ( I used N52 1/4" x 3/8" magnets).  Once  I have the positions marked,  I drill  small pilot holes for each.   I then clamp the blank to the front baffle   and position it correctly before  drilling    the holes throught the blank into the baffle.   You can do it by measuring  them out on the baffle as well, but with my lijmited vision, there is less chance of me making mistakes  Then roud the outside edges with a 3/8" radius  bit 

Next  I just laid out the  center points for all the holes exactly the same as the front baffle  - 1/2" to make up  for the shorter lenght the grill s will be..  Next I drilled all the  center points with a 1/8"  bit for the circle jig .  Before cutting out the circles,  counter sunk the rear of all the woofer holes 1/4" deep to a diameter of 6.375.  After all lthe woofer holes are coutersunk, you  can cut out the   thru holes to 5.5"

Now I clamped the  frames to some scrap  MDF.  I then took a long  piece of MDF and clamped it to the frame in such a way that it would act as a quide  for a flush trim bit to  cut out the pieces between the woofer holes   You could leave a "bridge" between    #2 and #3  lower woofers if you  wanted but I didn't think it was neccessary so I cut them out to have one large opening for the lower section.

I just rounded all the inner edges of the  cut outs  with a piece of   course  andpaper as there isn't a whole lot of material left  after   the countersinks on the  rear  of all the woofer holes to use a  router bit.

You can then   drill out the magnet pilot holes to the right diameter and depth for the magnets.   When I epoxy the magnets in, I revers the polarity on   the 2 grills and speakers  so  that each grill only attacheds to  the speker it was laid out on.  After the epoxy is dry,  just fill the  little pilot holes  behind the magnets and sand smooth You  can  then paint the frames

Finally wrap em in cloth and  that is it.  I used cloth from  CSS (creative Sound Solutions ) .  I think  it is the same stuff that  PE sells.  It is a very open weave and is supposed to be  acoustically transparent.  Most of my listening will be done "grill less "  anyhow. 

-jay

« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2013, 11:56 pm by Captainhemo »

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #54 on: 23 Mar 2013, 02:48 am »
Thanks for the info!  How did you attach the grill cloth,  spray adhesive?

Captainhemo

« Reply #55 on: 23 Mar 2013, 04:35 am »
Thanks for the info!  How did you attach the grill cloth,  spray adhesive?

Yup, no worries . Hope it comes in handy
.Spary adhesive,  staples,   or both work well for attaching the cloth

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #56 on: 26 Mar 2013, 05:24 am »
Well, it finally warmed up here today so I got the color on the first cabinet  Color is  Metallic Charcoal over  spray on bed liner for textrure.  When the light hits the paint at certain angles, there is a lot of metallic.  I had to finish off the 2nd grill  just to see how it was gong to look (still needs vacumming). Here it is

I am glad I went with the  metallic charcoal rather than the aged copper

I am  spraying the 2nd cabinet tomorrow   and then I guess it will be on to final assembly.  Feel like I am getting close now... looking forward to seeing them with all the  drivers in place    and finally  having a listen  :)

Danny,  still wondering if you reccommend  the  ounce of acusta stuff behind each  of the  M130X's ?

-jay

Nick77

« Reply #57 on: 26 Mar 2013, 09:12 am »
   Danny,  still wondering if you reccommend  the  ounce of acusta stuff behind each  of the  M130X's ?                                                             

I used a half pound per cabinet and seemed to work out perfect, bass was fast and tight.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #58 on: 26 Mar 2013, 02:24 pm »
Nice work there, Jay - I like your grill design.

Guy 13

« Reply #59 on: 26 Mar 2013, 02:39 pm »
Hi Captainhemo and all Audio Circle members.
Really nice looking enclosures. :thumb:
I am anxious to read your comments on how they sound.
I wish I had a garage and some tools,
then I would try to compete with all of you.  :lol:

Guy 13