Recording "quality" and musical enjoyment

Zheeeem

Re: Recording "quality" and musical enjoyment
« Reply #20 on: 6 Feb 2009, 08:57 pm »
Alas, garbage in - garbage out applies to hifi as well.

At some point, listeners need to decide whether they want to be audiophiles or music lovers.  Although many recordings can appeal to both, all too often there is great music poorly recorded/engineered/mixed/processed (etc) as well as crappy music butifully R/E/M/P.  Think of it as two intersecting bell curves.

As a general rule, I want my playback equipment to accurately reproduce what's on the recording.  Unfortunately, this will sometimes mean that the poor quality of the recording will detract from listening enjoyment.  But I also want my equipment to be musical without being (too) euphonic.  Again, there is a bit of a balancing act between "detail" and "musicality" although both are certainly possible.  (And, indeed, the problem with many bad recordings can be somewhat ameliorated with tone controls if the issue is over-brightness.  Another major factor includes room acoustics and treatments.)  In my experience metal drivers and ribbons tend to provide greater high end detail and, occasionally, brightness that users may sometimes want to attenuate. 

Let's set aside for a moment the issue of incompetent music processing.

A number of great classical works are, unfortunately, not the best recordings.  For example, two of my favourites are both Furtwangler - his classic 1942 Beethoven's 9th, as well as a Brahms 4 from the same time period.  For me, these are two of the most emotionally charged symphonic works ever recorded.  They are both live, with audience noise, bad concert hall acoustics, not very good recording equipment, and all of the accompanying hiss, clutter, congestion and other noise you would ever want to not have on your favourite recording.  My approach is:

1.  to position my speakers, listening position, etc. to get the best imaging, soundstage, etc. using an excellent recording, then

2.  I tune the room with treatments, etc. (which may even include some driver attenuation) to make the best of the bad recordings I have.

This seems to work pretty well, though you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear.

charmerci

• My Artistic Adventures
« Reply #21 on: 6 Feb 2009, 10:10 pm »
i wont get into what percentage of my cd's sound good,but just say i think its really quite high.what i want to know is why is there so much variability in the bass,this may sound stupid but are bass qualities harder to capture accurately or what,I don't notice those differences at all in the midrange or highs.

I find it's the piano that most difficult to get right.

I agree with you here.  I listen to some recordings where all starts off well and then the piano piece comes in where some of the notes sound distorted or "un-clear".  Definitely notice it now thru the ST's on tracks I never noticed before.  And No, I don't believe that its a matter of me listening more clearly or anything like that.  Just seems that flaws are now revealed more on piano notes than other instruments.  I'm glad that you mentioned this... was wondering the same thing over the past week or so.

Years ago, I played for my mom a Telarc recording of a classical piano solo (I forget the artist but the cover had a picture of a piano keyboard on it) The sound was impeccable. It sounded like like the grand piano was in the room. Her only comment was that he wasn't very good! :bawl: :banghead: (She was a huge Van Cliburn fan.) I got rid of the CD.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 6 Feb 2009, 10:56 pm »
Way back in the beginning for me there was the standard of "live vs real"....play it, close your eyes and is the illusion there?

I want my speakers to reproduce whats on the media as accurately as possible, whether its 2 CH or 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 or X.1....HT..etc.

I will troll the planet for stuff "media/music/recodings/video" that are both well recorded, mastered and suits my musical tastes.

There are many fine examples in all the various media types.

I have always liked the 2 ch stereo "sound" alot.

I was brought up with this and have many recordings that sound really wonderful...

I hated the beginnings of the 4 ch stereo sound way back when...and fought hard inside myself to come to grips with SACD, DVD-A and HT 5.1 etc..but this has passed.  :D

So now we have come full circle and have many types of 'sound stage images' to enjoy our favorite music by...

I still favor great 2 Ch, but what a treat to watch a HD concert in DTS Master Audio and enjoy the concert in your own home....

I am glad we have these choices!

All the best
Alex