LDRxB.V25 Balanced Passive Preamps

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: LDR3B Balanced Passive Preamp - Any news?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun 2014, 02:22 pm »
End of June?

It's now on the front and center on the big burner. Coming soon. June's a stretch but July is absolute. Will be announcing/posting  pre-order period soon.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
LDRx Unbalanced & LDRxB Balanced Passive Preamps
« Reply #21 on: 1 Jul 2014, 04:45 pm »
Starting a new topic to cover our new LDRx (unbalanced) and LDRxB (balanced) Passive Preamps. Prior posts from LDR3B will be merged here. The LDR3B is now the LDRxB going forward.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: LDRx Unbalanced & LDRxB Balanced Passive Preamps
« Reply #22 on: 1 Jul 2014, 05:13 pm »
As of 7.1.14 we are announcing the upcoming release of our new line of finished LDRx & LDRxB Passive Preamp products. As things stand now, the official release date is July 31, 2014. Despite the epic delay is getting product ready, this is the real deal. It's really going to happen. Soon. No,  really!  :green:

When released, the LDRx will replace our existing LDR3 and LDR6 offerings and can be ordered with 3-6 inputs. The LDRxB is our first balanced passive preamp with a blend of 3 balanced plus 1 alternative unbalanced input, 2 balanced outputs plus also an unbalanced output. Both versions will be housed in our new attractive enclosure design and utilize our latest LDR3x.V2 preamp controller board featuring  auto-calibration.

As of today, we are accepting pre-orders. LDRx & LDRxB product posting with the details can be found on our website: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/product/ldrx-ldrxb-passive-preamps/

Here is our latest CAD renderings. Actual pics to follow when they're available.

Cheers,
Morten :thumb:

« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2014, 05:18 pm by tortugaranger »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2014, 02:29 pm »
We sent a notice out around 10 days ago to everyone with pre-orders that the release date for the LDRx/LDRxB has been pushed out to mid-August. Everything is done and ready except for fabrication of the enclosures which is well underway. We are doing the enclosure fab work in-house except for the anodizing. Milling the parts and the turnaround on the anodizing is the key reason for the pushing out the release date.

The 10% pre-order discount is still available until the release date. More info here: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/product/ldrx-ldrxb-passive-preamps/

The pic below is a set of front panels fresh off the CNC mill before brushing/anodizing. Note the milled out center stripe is for the dark acrylic inlay which will cover up the "window".

Here is a link to a youtube video showing one of these front panels being milled on our CNC machine. We removed the dust/vacuum cover so the cutting would be visible for the video which is why there are cuttings everywhere. http://youtu.be/-Q9WLLeFIuE

robertopisa

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jul 2014, 05:03 am »
Is it better to shield the LDR boards with a metal enclosure? I am using them open-air and no problem so far with EMI/RFI. Today a friend is coming for listening..
-R

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #25 on: 31 Jul 2014, 01:36 pm »
Is it better to shield the LDR boards with a metal enclosure? I am using them open-air and no problem so far with EMI/RFI. Today a friend is coming for listening..
-R

Old school says enclose in a metal box (Faraday Cage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage) but frankly I don't see the need unless you're in an environment with unusually high EMI/RFI. Our development boards are surrounded by noisy equipment including a moveable fluorescent light with magnifying glass that is rarely less than 12-24 inches away from a bare board. I have to put this fluorescent light almost right on top of a V1/V2 board in order to induce noise in the audio. Customers have provided project photos showing enclosures made of wood, stone, corian, plastic and yes even metal.

Being actively controlled passive attenuators with optical isolation between control power and audio signals, our preamps aren't as sensitive to power supply noise as true active preamps but to the extent your power is noisy and becomes an issue I'd recommend using EMI filtering on the AC mains. We're doing this on  our new LDRx/LDRxB products but historically I've not observed a problem with EMI nor have I heard from any customers who have.

J Payton

« Reply #26 on: 1 Aug 2014, 02:07 am »
Any chance the chassis will be available to us DIY folks who always struggle to make our projects look good.

JP

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #27 on: 1 Aug 2014, 02:25 pm »
Any chance the chassis will be available to us DIY folks who always struggle to make our projects look good.

JP

I'm open to possibly offering a DIY enclosure but I suspect the price point may not prove very attractive relative to other options there such as FrontPanelExpress (http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/). Although when you add up all the panels for a complete enclosure the cost with FrontPanel starts to add up as well. You can source decent enclosures on eBay for around $40-75 depending on size etc. One of our enclosures like the new LDRx would likely run upwards of $300 or more although that's just a very rough guestimate since we haven't priced it out for DIY.

We chose to make the investment in being able to fabricate our own enclosures because we wanted:  a) a distinctive high quality look, b) ability to quickly make changes & offer customized options, c) to keep marginal costs down, and very importantly d) we were not prepared to manage the quality control necessary for lowest cost fabrication in China.

For the immediate future it's somewhat moot since we have our hands full getting our enclosure fab operation up to speed for our own finished products. Perhaps down the road a few months we can revisit offering premium enclosures.

We may also offer a complete DIY LDR passive preamp kit sometime down the road but this would likely utilize a variation on the enclosure we used for our LDR1/3/6 which used an extruded unibody aluminum box with custom front/rear panels.

As always, we want to be responsive to the market so anyone reading this who has a want/need/wish along these lines don't hesitate to speak up.

Cheers,
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #28 on: 7 Aug 2014, 01:02 am »
This isn't a very good photo but it shows the 3/8" thick x 3.25" high x 12.5" wide raw front panel with the dark acrylic inlay/lens plus the enameled knurled Telecaster knob after the initial fit-up around a week ago. The panel still hadn't been brushed or anodized. When it's anodized it will be black-knob on black-inset on black-panel. The dual blue displays will only be visible when they're on otherwise they'll disappear.  A very cool look!  :thumb:

bonsai

« Reply #29 on: 7 Aug 2014, 11:40 am »
That will be sharp! 

I was toying with the idea of building on your V board but I'm happy to buy a built unit seeing how your design looks and it coming to life.  Nice!  I think the blue display through that dark/smoked acrylic will be cool.

What will be the dimensions now that you have some faces fabricated and some lots built?  I think you have answered this previously but I thought I'd ask again now that you have some lots built.

Thanks for taking the time to share the photos!
Andy

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #30 on: 7 Aug 2014, 02:13 pm »
What will be the dimensions now that you have some faces fabricated and some lots built?

Nominally 12.5" wide, 3.25" tall (plus feet so figure 4" overall), 10" deep (plus with knob and jacks figure 11.5" overall).

bonsai

« Reply #31 on: 7 Aug 2014, 04:00 pm »
Excellent!  That should poke right in the spot I have reserved for it.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #32 on: 11 Aug 2014, 01:59 pm »
Just a quick note letting everyone know that we are pushing out the release date for the LDRx/LDRxB Passive Preamps until the end of August. Much of our time the past several weeks has been spent on commissioning our in-house enclosure fabrication equipment which among other items includes a CNC router (foreground) and a stroke sander (background) as shown in the pic below. That commissioning work is now essentially done and we can now focus on production work going forward. Some have suggested we simply shop all this out to China at half the cost and skip all the headaches of making things ourselves. I confess there have been moments when this sounded very seductive. But offshore production of relatively low volume product has its own challenges. I'm of the view that you can indeed produce high quality distinctive products cost effectively - domestically. Onwards!  :thumb:

P.S.  Of course this extends the 10% pre-order discount period out until the end of August as well. http://www.tortugaaudio.com/product/ldrx-ldrxb-passive-preamps/

bonsai

« Reply #33 on: 12 Aug 2014, 10:39 pm »
As a paid customer waiting for mine to be built...  I don't mind.  I support "Made in USA" in full

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #34 on: 12 Aug 2014, 10:47 pm »
As a paid customer waiting for mine to be built...  I don't mind.  I support "Made in USA" in full

Thanks bonsai!  :thumb: Soon mon, soon!

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #35 on: 17 Aug 2014, 08:41 pm »
The chips are flying and our first run of aluminum enclosure parts head off to the anodizer later this week. That means we're on track to release by the end of August. Yes, it's really going to happen.  :green:

You have between now and the end of the month to take advantage of the 10% pre-order discount. More info here: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/product/ldrx-ldrxb-passive-preamps/

Cheers,  :thumb:
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Pic of LDRxB rear panel fitup
« Reply #36 on: 25 Aug 2014, 12:29 pm »
Here's a pic of the rear panel of the LDRxB Balanced Passive Preamp showing final fitup of parts. The XLR jacks are heavy duty cast Neutriks with gold connections. The RCA jacks are Cardas. As shown here the panel (3.25" by 12.5")  is raw brushed aluminum prior to being black anodized which happens later this week. The XLR socket in the lower right is standing in for a dual USB socket which uses the same XLR form factor and should arrive from our supplier in a few days. To the left of the power entry module is the 115/230AC selector switch. Above that is the 12V Trigger Out.

We are on track for release at the end of the month at which time we'll start building and shipping units beginning the first week of September starting with existing pre-orders. There is still time to place pre-orders for at 10% discount through Sunday  August 31st. http://www.tortugaaudio.com/product/ldrx-ldrxb-passive-preamps/

Cheers!
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Neotech 26AWG UP-OCC Silver Hook-up Wire Option
« Reply #37 on: 25 Aug 2014, 01:04 pm »
I just posted this on another thread but thought it worth repeating here.

We've decided to offer optional silver hookup wire for audio signal/ground path in our new LDRx/LDRxB Passive Preamps.

We've chosen Neotech teflon coated 26AWG UP-OCC Silver. UP-OCC stands for "ultra-pure ohno continuous cast" which results in extremely large/long silver metal crystals with the absolute minimum grain boundaries. This is state-of-the-art conductor material for the audiophile community.

The Neotech silver wire option will be $100 for the LDRx single ended and $200 for the LDRxB balanced. Contact me if you're interested in this option if you've already placed a pre-order. We'll be sending out notices of this to everyone with pre-orders. The website will be updated soon to reflect this option.

Cheers,
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #38 on: 26 Aug 2014, 01:00 pm »
We've updated our website so that the LDRx and LDRxB each have their own product page including various options such as additional inputs (LDRx only), Neotech silver wire upgrade, XLR connector upgrades (LDRxB only) and transformer upgrades (LDRxB only).

Check them out below. Note that the 10% pre-release discount period ends this Sunday.

LDRx Passive Preamp (singled ended): http://www.tortugaaudio.com/product/ldrx-passive-preamp/
LDRxB Balanced Passive Preamp: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/product/ldrxb-balanced-passive-preamp/

bonsai

« Reply #39 on: 29 Aug 2014, 09:28 pm »
Morten,

Any progress reports on the new units?

Thanks,
Andy