budget gear

Magnus

budget gear
« on: 31 Dec 2019, 04:33 pm »
Dear GAS members,
    For a time money was tight, and I had to sell my gear. However, I've reacquired my Rega Brio after having a kind acquaintance give me his turntable when he decided to upgrade. I'm close to getting what I think will be a good used CD player. I'm now looking for speakers that are either comparable with some bookshelf ones I had by Jamo that I purchased from Sound Central on South Lindbergh for around $200 in 2000 or so, or anything else (any size) that would match well with my Rega Brio. 19th and 20th Century Classical is my preferred type of music, with some rock and jazz mixed in. So, something too laid back might not be my thing.
As much as I love Record Exchange for good records/cds, I'd like to avoid their used gear; although I'm not adverse to it from elsewhere. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Steven   

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: budget gear
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2019, 05:22 pm »
If you can, highly recommend JBL 305 Mk2, small active 2-way studio monitors, currently $200/pair on Amazon.  Sound better than any sub $500/pair passive speakers I've heard.  And no power amp required, can fill a medium sized room (rated up to 108 dB), F3=49 Hz. 

Magnus

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2019, 05:51 pm »
If you can, highly recommend JBL 305 Mk2, small active 2-way studio monitors, currently $200/pair on Amazon.  Sound better than any sub $500/pair passive speakers I've heard.  And no power amp required, can fill a medium sized room (rated up to 108 dB), F3=49 Hz.

Thank you for the recommendation. I hate to sound ignorant, but since they have their own power; how does the sound get from the gear to the speakers? Is it still cables from the preamp...or what? In looking at the ports on the back, from pictures from Amazon; I can't tell. Intriguing.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2019, 06:09 pm »

Well, on my pre-amp out (not sure if it's the best way), but I use something like these.

I imagine that something like this would be fine.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2019, 06:39 pm »
Yes, music gets to active speakers in a variety of ways: wirelessly (digital or analog); wired analog (RCA, XLR, or TRS); or wired digitally (typically AES/EBU).  The JBL 305 MkII uses low voltage analog XLR input (XLR is the "balanced"/grounded/self shielded professional version of RCA that avoids hyped designs and high prices).  The source in the case of the JBL 305 MkII's would be an analog preamp, ideally with XLR outputs as various RCA/XLR adapters are available but not recommended due to possible grounding related issues.   

Many variations of active/powered speakers exist.  Active routes the digital or low voltage analog signal through the crossover before sending signals to each power amp/driver.  This has a number of technical advantages as the amp is matched to the driver by the speaker designer (versus the user) and the connection is very direct/short.  Sonically active speakers are much more dynamic, frequency response is incredibly flat, imaging is improved, and bass is unbelievably deep/full.  Powered speakers simply move the amp inside a passive speaker (crossover is between amp and drivers).  Active/powered speakers are nearly all powered off the wall receptacle. 

Some active speakers can accept digital inputs (have their own DAC's) so would be fed from a digital source.  Many active speakers make extensive use of digital technology (class D amps, DSP, DAC, crossovers), so if they also accept analog inputs use of an external DAC would be redundant.  Note that active speakers are preferred in the studio, but audiophiles tend to prefer pick amps and keep them external to the speaker.

justauby

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2019, 06:59 pm »
Since you already have an integrate amp w/ phono input and the record player & CD player your sources and amplification are pretty set.  That's not a bad setup and i'd be happy to have it.  Given that you already have these things i wouldn't recommend actives unless you plan to sell your REGA Brio integrated amp.  Actives are great, i have a pair in my office, but you already have most of the gear needed so you should probably go with a nice set of passive speakers.  I'd basically recommend a used pair of Klipsch Heresy's or some DIY Kits, hard to beat there value.  Below are a few i've found, some are close to St. Louis.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649551465-klipsch-hersey-speakers-with-risers/
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/481047866003799/
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/616576212419863/
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/964804757192230/

Or you can DIY it yourself and get a lot of value:

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speaker-kits/home-theater-series/home-theater/ht-12-kit.html

kentj1948

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2019, 07:19 pm »
Don't buy a used speaker from the late 1970s.  Check out what is available from Wharfdale, Elac, and similar brands.  I've heard $200 Elacs and they are stunning.  Check out Audio Advisor and Music Direct.  Both often have demos, B stock, photo shoot and other deals.   Kent

Here is an example:  https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/wharfedale-reva-1-bookshelf-speakers

sturgus

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2019, 10:56 pm »
Dear GAS members,
    For a time money was tight, and I had to sell my gear. However, I've reacquired my Rega Brio after having a kind acquaintance give me his turntable when he decided to upgrade. I'm close to getting what I think will be a good used CD player. I'm now looking for speakers that are either comparable with some bookshelf ones I had by Jamo that I purchased from Sound Central on South Lindbergh for around $200 in 2000 or so, or anything else (any size) that would match well with my Rega Brio. 19th and 20th Century Classical is my preferred type of music, with some rock and jazz mixed in. So, something too laid back might not be my thing.
As much as I love Record Exchange for good records/cds, I'd like to avoid their used gear; although I'm not adverse to it from elsewhere. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Steven   

Steven pm me. I might have something for cheap to help you along.
Sturg

Magnus

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2020, 07:14 pm »
Steven pm me. I might have something for cheap to help you along.
Sturg

Done!

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2020, 10:41 pm »
Klipsch was a deaf former artillery engineer from WWII who decided to build speakers.  The sound reflects this.

I second the JBL powered monitor recommendation.  STUNNINGLY good for the money.