Bryston Current BIT range and pricing

Rod_S

Bryston Current BIT range and pricing
« on: 30 Nov 2021, 09:54 pm »
Hello;

I was wondering if there is a current BIT product listing and associated Canadian MSRP listing? I know Torus has some new products, particularly in the AVR series, 2 items called AVR Elite and AVR-2 Elite so I'm curious if Bryston is offering these units and also if the older AVR units are still being offered. On the Torus site I'm only seeing the RM series for the non AVR series, does that mean the Bryston BIT20 which I believe was/is based on the model that was above the Torus RM line is no longer being produced??

I just got back from out of town and during my power up cycle of all of my gear my Furman IT-Reference tripped and shut off then a burning smell appeared. I disconnected all of the HT gear and then sequentially went though each outlet plugging a simple fan into them and all outlets worked and powered the fan so I plugged my SSP, tv and 3 amps (4B-SST and two 28B-SST2's) in and tried powering up again. The Furman powered the tv, SSP and 4B and when the 1st 28B tried to turn on the Furman tripped again and now is completely dead so unless I can find a repair shop and the Furman can be repaired it looks like I'll be unexpectedly looking for a replacement power conditioner. The more or less Bryston equivalent to my IT Reference is the BIT 20.

I had the IT-Reference connected to a Furman SPR-20 voltage regulator so now I have my SSP, tv the 3 Bryston amps, Xbox One (all normally connected to the IT-Reference) all connected to the SPR-20 which is powering everything just fine so it appears there was no issue with my 28's causing the IT-Reference to blow. I'm thinking since the IT-Reference is probably pushing 20 years some capacitators or transistors have probably failed.

Thanks

Ron D

Re: Bryston Current BIT range and pricing
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2021, 10:29 pm »
Bryston still lists their power offerings on their website so they must still be in power control biz.

As for a Canadian list price I know Trutone in the GTA lists the BIT-20 for $4K Cdn. Can't speak to their reputation as a retailer but you can visit their website to see list prices.
www.trutone.ca

It does not look like they have a price for the monster sized AVR versions but can likely get a price for you...

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2021, 01:38 am »
Nasty stuff for sure
Have been using Torus(60a and 20a) both 240v and not a glitch since 07 I believe.
Use 28s and 7s + components.
Years ago I had four jl f-113s subs,two in wall and two into the Torus..........
Thunderstorm two in wall toast and two plugged into the Torus ...showtime.
Just sayin.
They are my last components I would sell.

Rod_S

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2021, 02:35 am »
Nasty stuff for sure
Have been using Torus(60a and 20a) both 240v and not a glitch since 07 I believe.
Years ago I had four jl f-113s subs,two in wall and two into the Torus..........
Just sayin.

Thanks

I do have a local Bryston dealer it's just they were closed when I ran into the issues. I'll see if they are able to repair the Furman, if not a Bryston BIT may be in my future however I'll also price the current Furman IT-Reference replacement, the IT-Ref 20I which is similar to the Bryston BIT 20 or at least the BIT 20 as I remember it. I say that because in checking the Bryston website under the BIT 15 & 20 they are referenced as the BIT RM series which I think is/was the step down version of the main BIT series from years back.

The one thing I like about the Furman's vs the Torus/Bryston units is that they have 12 outlets vs 10 on the Torus/Bryston. The Bryston is 8lbs heavier though :) The swing vote may be in the warranty, if the BIT's have the 20 year warranty then that substantially beats the Furman.

Rod_S

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2021, 02:41 am »
Nasty stuff for sure
Just sayin.

My Furman is right around 20 years old so it's done me well for a very, very long time so longevity and build quality were not an issue. Owning a number of Bryston components I can say build quality is definitely on par with the Bryston gear.

My main concern about the BIT 20 now is, going off the website they are now only offering the RM series. It's been years since the BIT's were introduced but I swear I remember the RM series was a step down version lacking something of the then main units. It's been so long I just can't remember what the differences were. I have in the back of my mind the old main BIT series offered basically what the Furman IT series did. I hate getting old and forgetful :)

Rod_S

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2021, 02:55 am »
I think I may have gotten my old BIT/Torus models mixed up. I think the step down version may have been called the IS units and it's the RM units that were the standard. I think the IS just provided isolation but not conditioning and surge protection, the RM units provided both.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Ron D

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2021, 06:28 am »
The "IS" versions were less expensive and did not include the surge suppression option.

You can find all the prior versions of the Bryston units on their website under discontinued units.

I'm not entirely sure but I think the warranty period on the BIT units is 5 years????

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2021, 11:25 am »
Hi Folks

Yes 5 years on the BIT's

james

Rod_S

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2021, 11:59 am »
Thanks for confirmation on the warranty period.

If I do have to get a replacement conditioner and go the Bryston route, James what's the supply chain looking like for a BIT 20? I can guarantee my local dealer won't have any in stock so it's something that would have to be ordered in. When ordering do you specify LED color or is that no longer an option with the current units? I would be looking for a 17" silver with blue LED's assuming LED color selection is an option.

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2021, 01:53 pm »
Thanks for confirmation on the warranty period.

If I do have to get a replacement conditioner and go the Bryston route, James what's the supply chain looking like for a BIT 20? I can guarantee my local dealer won't have any in stock so it's something that would have to be ordered in. When ordering do you specify LED color or is that no longer an option with the current units? I would be looking for a 17" silver with blue LED's assuming LED color selection is an option.

Thanks

Its about a 3 week turn around from order.

I will check on the LED colour.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2021, 01:59 pm »
Its about a 3 week turn around from order.

I will check on the LED colour.

james

Thanks

Curious, what is it about the BIT's that make them get just 5 years vs 20 years on the warranty? Don't your amps use the same toroidal transformers, just different sizes based on the amps power rating?

Looking around on-line I see the BIT 20 is about $2k CAD MSRP less expensive vs the Furman IT-Ref 20I so it's much more likely I'll be going with the BIT.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2021, 02:04 pm »
Thanks

Curious, what is it about the BIT's that make them get just 5 years vs 20 years on the warranty? Don't your amps use the same toroidal transformers, just different sizes based on the amps power rating?

Looking around on-line I see the BIT 20 is about $2k CAD MSRP less expensive vs the Furman IT-Ref 20I so it's much more likely I'll be going with the BIT.

The BITS are built for us by Torus and they set the warranty.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2021, 05:56 pm »
Hi James
Lead time is approx. 2-3wks, we can do green or blue on the bit 15 or 20 but the new elite series is only blue. They will have to specify blue as standard is green switch

Thanks
Melissa

Rod_S

« Reply #13 on: 2 Dec 2021, 01:06 am »
Hi James
Lead time is approx. 2-3wks, we can do green or blue on the bit 15 or 20 but the new elite series is only blue. They will have to specify blue as standard is green switch

Thanks
Melissa

Thanks for the response James and that also answers the question I had earlier as to whether Bryston will be offering the new Elite AVR series. I assume they replace the AVR/AVR 2 series.

Rod_S

« Reply #14 on: 2 Dec 2021, 01:09 am »
It's looking more and more likely I'll be getting a Bryston.

After checking in with the 2 local brick and mortar retailers who are Furman dealers neither offer in house servicing anymore (my how times have changed as retailers like this used to have very good repair departments) and one mentioned for items like power conditioners they apparently have typically had to go back to manufacturer to be repaired. With my unit being long out of warranty and the manufacturer out of country not to mention trying to arrange shipping on something that weights 80+ lbs I just can't see it being feasible. Nevertheless I did send off a message to Furman just curious to see, distance and logistics aside of getting the unit to them do they think being able to repair a unit this old would even be possible. Both local retailers did recommend a local generic electronics repair shop but with something this expensive I'm hesitant to go that route but there is the fact as it sits it will not even power up anymore so in that sense it's basically a boat anchor.

I even reached out to the the local music store i.e. musical instruments, PA, etc. knowing that Furman is primarily a pro audio power company but again, with the unit being so old, and me not having purchased it from there they basically said no and recommended the same electronics repair shop that both the audio/video retailer's recommended.

Rod_S

« Reply #15 on: 2 Dec 2021, 02:03 pm »
Follow-up question regarding the BIT's.

Are all outlets and duplexes in the units considered equal? I ask because in the Furman units they have always had certain duplexes labelled for different gear. For example in my IT-Reference are 2 duplexes for high current power amps while the remaining 4 duplexes are for source components and are supposedly isolated from the 2 high current duplexes and each duplex in that group of 4 are further isolated from each other.

drummermitchell

« Reply #16 on: 2 Dec 2021, 02:34 pm »
99% sure they are all the same.
Believe I read that on the Torus PIU site.
I believe they had said wasn’t necessary st least not or their Torus BIT products.
James should know.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2021, 02:35 pm »
Follow-up question regarding the BIT's.

Are all outlets and duplexes in the units considered equal? I ask because in the Furman units they have always had certain duplexes labelled for different gear. For example in my IT-Reference are 2 duplexes for high current power amps while the remaining 4 duplexes are for source components and are supposedly isolated from the 2 high current duplexes and each duplex in that group of 4 are further isolated from each other.

Hi Rod - yes they are all the same.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #18 on: 2 Dec 2021, 02:36 pm »
Thanks for the responses.

Rod_S

« Reply #19 on: 3 Dec 2021, 12:19 pm »
Hi, another question.

Do you foresee any issues plugging the BIT-20 into my Furman SPR-20i voltage regulator just as I was doing with my Furman IT-Reference? I have the SPR-20i connected to the wall.