Stacking Amps

Vince in TX

Stacking Amps
« on: 29 Nov 2021, 09:41 pm »
Any concerns here?   I know heat rises, but they seem to be doing okay.   The mono amp is on the bottom, stereo on top.   Thanks!

Oh, and you can welcome me to the family, too.   My first Odysseys.    :thumb:

JMW73

Re: Stacking Amps
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2021, 10:02 pm »
Welcome!

It looks like there is a good amount of airflow there.  I wouldn't worry about it myself.  However, you can get a rack mounted AC Infinity to put in there.  They have lots of options and are inexpensive.

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2021, 10:24 pm »
If it works for you then go for it, I am more into using dedicated audio racks rather than server type racks.

Vince in TX

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2021, 11:46 pm »
Welcome!

It looks like there is a good amount of airflow there.  I wouldn't worry about it myself.  However, you can get a rack mounted AC Infinity to put in there.  They have lots of options and are inexpensive.

Thanks!   I'll look into the AC Infinity.   I have a fan on top that pushes warm air out and keeps some induction happening, but it's not that aesthetically appealing.

If it works for you then go for it, I am more into using dedicated audio racks rather than server type racks.

I agree the dedicated rack would work best, but as a theater room that occasionally doubles as a stereo listening room, I didn't want lights up front, and I like the lights on the Odyssey amps.   :)

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2021, 12:13 am »
I have to admit I don’t like lights, well bright lights anyway. I don’t need distracting lights, I don’t want to see the equipment just want to see the sonic image the system paints. I often listen with the lights off, the brightest thing I have is the Farad Super 3 power supply for my turntable the light is so bright that is distracting. I have put some double sided clear tape on it to tame it down a bit.
See attached image, that bright blue light in the bottom left-hand corner is super annoying.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2021, 12:19 am »
See if Klaus responds, but I don't think that's enough ventilation. The Odyssey amps have horizontal not vertical fins on the heat sinks. I imagine he'd rather see them out in the open. Are there open grilles on the cabinet sides?

Vince in TX

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2021, 12:59 am »
See if Klaus responds, but I don't think that's enough ventilation. The Odyssey amps have horizontal not vertical fins on the heat sinks. I imagine he'd rather see them out in the open. Are there open grilles on the cabinet sides?

Yes, the sides and back are open.

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2021, 01:10 am »
I have to admit I don’t like lights, well bright lights anyway. I don’t need distracting lights, I don’t want to see the equipment just want to see the sonic image the system paints. I often listen with the lights off, the brightest thing I have is the Farad Super 3 power supply for my turntable the light is so bright that is distracting. I have put some double sided clear tape on it to tame it down a bit.

https://www.lightdims.com/index.php

mick wolfe

sturgus

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2021, 07:04 pm »
If it's bothering you, try a fan cooling unit made for racks.
https://www.amazon.com/rack-fan/s?k=rack+fan

Vince in TX

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2021, 09:26 pm »
If it's bothering you, try a fan cooling unit made for racks.
https://www.amazon.com/rack-fan/s?k=rack+fan

My only concern with rack mount fans is noise level.   I would need to test drive them first, but this is a possibility.