Klipsch Powergate Integrated Amp

david45

Re: Klipsch Powergate Integrated Amp
« Reply #60 on: 10 Mar 2019, 09:40 pm »

the Bluetooth streaming Tidal from my iPhone sounds better than I thought it would

Hey Chris

Are you saying the only way for you to stream Tidal with your iphone is to use bluetooth? For some reason I was under the impression we could use the Play-fi app for that with the option of simply running the app in the background and use the actual Tidal app and its user friendly interface in order to search for songs?

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #61 on: 10 Mar 2019, 10:04 pm »
Hey Chris

Are you saying the only way for you to stream Tidal with your iphone is to use bluetooth? For some reason I was under the impression we could use the Play-fi app for that with the option of simply running the app in the background and use the actual Tidal app and its user friendly interface in order to search for songs?

Hey Now,

Nope, not saying that at all. That is how I do it due to my circumstance. I can stream Tidal through the Powergate just fine.

You see, I live out in the countryside away from easy broadband access. I have to use satellite internet and there is a data allowance cap each month. If I stream Tidal through my satellite internet, I go through the data pretty quick. The way I stream Tidal is to use my iPhone via LTE then connect via Bluetooth to manage my data allowance. If I stay up late (I mean real late) I have a bonus period for additional download allowance, I have streamed some MQA for comparison, but upsampling regular FLAC to DSD256 uses less data and better hours, it is hard to tell which is better. MQA seems to go through my data allowance pretty quickly. My speeds are not that fast with satellite, I can stream FLACs okay, but video is real tough to watch, especially HD video. I wouldn't mind trying Qobuz, but I doubt I can stream hirez content.

I also had to change my wireless network recently because if I used my iPhone as a hotspot, my iMac disconnected from the network completely. I now use GoogleWifi and I can use the iPhone as a hotspot via LTE and maintain my network and use Roon in the house along with my KEF LS50Ws networked. Things are working pretty good now-a-days.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

p.s. I was unable to get the Gate or Powergate to recognize my iPhone hotspot as a legitimate network.

david45

« Reply #62 on: 10 Mar 2019, 10:10 pm »
Ok thanks for explaining how it works for you taking into account your restrictions.

Can you please confirm that it is possible to use the actual Tidal app with your iphone if running the play-fi app in the background? (as opposed to having to deal with the play-fi interface)

Regards,

David

Hey Now,

Nope, not saying that at all. That is how I do it due to my circumstance. I can stream Tidal through the Powergate just fine.

You see, I live out in the countryside away from easy broadband access. I have to use satellite internet and there is a data allowance cap each month. If I stream Tidal through my satellite internet, I go through the data pretty quick. The way I stream Tidal is to use my iPhone via LTE then connect via Bluetooth to manage my data allowance. If I stay up late (I mean real late) I have a bonus period for additional download allowance, I have streamed some MQA for comparison, but upsampling regular FLAC to DSD256 uses less data and better hours, it is hard to tell which is better. MQA seems to go through my data allowance pretty quickly. My speeds are not that fast with satellite, I can stream FLACs okay, but video is real tough to watch, especially HD video. I wouldn't mind trying Qobuz, but I doubt I can stream hirez content.

I also had to change my wireless network recently because if I used my iPhone as a hotspot, my iMac disconnected from the network completely. I now use GoogleWifi and I can use the iPhone as a hotspot via LTE and maintain my network and use Roon in the house along with my KEF LS50Ws networked. Things are working pretty good now-a-days.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

p.s. I was unable to get the Gate or Powergate to recognize my iPhone hotspot as a legitimate network.

chrshanl

« Reply #63 on: 10 Mar 2019, 10:42 pm »
I’ve had the Gate for a few weeks and just took possession of the Powergate a few days ago. I too could not get Airplay to work but for me that’s not a deal breaker. Using the Powergate as a streamer into my integrated sounds as good as the Gate does. I also like the fact that I can use regular rca’s vs the 3.5mm to rca cablle. It also has usb and optical input, 2 aux inputs  as well as bluetooth capability and Subwoofer output.

Having bluetooth is especially nice for the times like this winter when my internet went out during a blizzard but I had cell service. I have an ipad that has it’s own data plan so I used that to stream music to my node 2i, very handy.

The amp section in the Powergate sounds pretty good. I used it with a pair of Proac Studio 3’s that can sound thin on some amps and the little Powergate does a pretty job with those 10” ATC drivers and packs a pretty good punch if it is in the recording. Perhaps a wee bit thick in the lower midrange and not as well defined as my much more expensive amps but for the price its rather amazing actually.

Soundstaging is another area where the Powergate falls a tad short in comparison to my much more expensive amps but that is obviously not an apples to apples comparison. One person I know that bought the Powergate mentioned to me he thought the sound was a bit homogenized. I would tend to agree with that assessment my initial impression was “relaxed” and may not necessarily be a bad thing depending on your choice of speakers.

Perhaps voicing the amp as such may have been intentional to compliment some of the speaker offerings from Klipsch? At any rate the Powergate is quite a bargain even without the amp section. I plan on keeping mine, for the streaming features and flexibility alone make it worth more than the paltry asking price imho.

ccklone

« Reply #64 on: 11 Mar 2019, 12:10 am »
Can you please confirm that it is possible to use the actual Tidal app with your iphone if running the play-fi app in the background? (as opposed to having to deal with the play-fi interface)

Regards,

David

Hey Now David,

I just tried using Tidal app once I was streaming Tidal from the PlayFi app with my iPhone. The Tidal app just played through the phone's speakers. I could only use the Tidal app within PlayFi to stream to the Powergate. It is very similar and had all my music available with the same search function I believe. Easy enough to use.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

p.s. I did discover I had to go into the settings of the Tidal app within PlayFi to select the streaming to be HIFI. The default appears to be NORMAL.

witchdoctor

« Reply #65 on: 11 Mar 2019, 12:58 am »
Hey Now,

I bought a Powergate (at $149.99 a real audio bargain), so now I have a Gate and Powergate. I still cannot get them to work with AirPlay . . . . I have tried all the suggestions. I would really like to know if anyone has connected their Gate or Powergate to use AirPlay????? I don't see anyway it can. Even though it is on my only network, it never appears in iTunes or Sound Preferences for selection or Roon (automatically connects to all AirPlay devices). When I run LANScan, it appears with an IP address. Go figure.

Sure wish it had a Roon Endpoint or even work with AirPlay. I set Kodi up as a UPnP/DLNA server and I can stream from my music library HD, but it is cumbersome at best (Kodi interface is rather inelegant ). Some have suggested using PLEX, but I just used a Raspberry Pi 3 I had laying around with Ropieee as an Roon Endpoint and connect to the USB input. I am able to upsample my files to 192kHz from Roon and use it's interface. Works and sounds good.

This thing sounds crazy good for the $$$, true cheap and cheerful. I am just using it in the kitchen for background music, but it sounds very good and the remote works well for me. I have a tuner connected to the phono input, the Bluetooth streaming Tidal from my iPhone sounds better than I thought it would, USB is my RPi3, the Aux in is my Walkman ZX2 through an iFi iTube to increase gain by 6db and for some tubey goodness for Tidal offline downloaded files, and I am thinking of a way to use the optical for the TV. All in all this is very versatile and great sounding for the money spent on it at Amazon. I tried the Ethernet input and output, but it caused a bit of buzziness, so I nixed that. I am also using the subwoofer out to a Crown XLS-1500 in bridged mode into a DIY sub.  I am driving a pair of Role Audio Kayak speakers. And did I mention it has a remote, that doesn't need to be line of sight  8). I'm liking it.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

It seems you put it through the paces and still have room for a TV yet, all good. What is your opinion about adding the itube?

david45

« Reply #66 on: 11 Mar 2019, 01:15 am »
Thanks Chris!! I should be getting mine fairly soon and now feel like I have all the info I need... well almost  :green:

How do you like the iTube with the Powergate if you don't mind me asking? I posted one for sale a few days ago and also have a Dodd Audio tube buffer in the main system... I guess we can say I'm a fan lol.

Cheers,

David

Hey Now David,

I just tried using Tidal app once I was streaming Tidal from the PlayFi app with my iPhone. The Tidal app just played through the phone's speakers. I could only use the Tidal app within PlayFi to stream to the Powergate. It is very similar and had all my music available with the same search function I believe. Easy enough to use.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

p.s. I did discover I had to go into the settings of the Tidal app within PlayFi to select the streaming to be HIFI. The default appears to be NORMAL.

Doublej

« Reply #67 on: 11 Mar 2019, 02:11 pm »
Has anyone asked Klipsch about Airplay? I am wondering what their response is/will be.

ccklone

« Reply #68 on: 11 Mar 2019, 02:27 pm »
Hey Now,

I am using the iFi iTube to increase the gain primarily, the tubey goodness is a bonus. Although the Walkman ZX2 is a terrific sounding DAP, the analog line out is very low output and needs a boost. I will say that the sound from the Walkman ZX2 is the best sound out of the Powergate through the iTube. The ZX2 has a DAC that is no slouch, does hirez up to DSD and has 128GB of storage for Tidal offline files! In my other system I use the digital out from the ZX2, so no concern with the low volume of the line out.

@ David - I was tempted to put an offer on your iTube, I think they are good pieces of kit  Wink2. GLWTS.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

cornpop1

« Reply #69 on: 15 Mar 2019, 04:04 am »
Hi, Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I just got the Powergate, and for the price I really enjoy it.
One question, not sure if you guys could help, I noticed when using the Sub Out, my subwoofer has to be on a very high gain. Using a Rythmik L12 at the moment  :)

I have a Yamaha AS-300 that I use too, and with that Sub Out, my gain is very little on my subwoofer for it to be audible and pleasant.

Is this normal? And is there adjust ability either through the Klipsch Powergate or the Stream App?

Thanks!

witchdoctor

« Reply #70 on: 15 Mar 2019, 05:18 pm »
Hi, Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I just got the Powergate, and for the price I really enjoy it.
One question, not sure if you guys could help, I noticed when using the Sub Out, my subwoofer has to be on a very high gain. Using a Rythmik L12 at the moment  :)

I have a Yamaha AS-300 that I use too, and with that Sub Out, my gain is very little on my subwoofer for it to be audible and pleasant.

Is this normal? And is there adjust ability either through the Klipsch Powergate or the Stream App?

Thanks!

Cornpop, the remote control has volume control for the sub, did you try turning it up?

apstoltz

« Reply #71 on: 16 Mar 2019, 11:23 pm »
For guys who have this amp, what is the sound signature like? Warm, flat, open, how is soundstage and imaging?

witchdoctor

« Reply #72 on: 17 Mar 2019, 03:53 pm »
For guys who have this amp, what is the sound signature like? Warm, flat, open, how is soundstage and imaging?

It sounds better than $1500 of Parasound Z component separates in my office system. If you want to hear the sound signature of the DAC order a $30 Klipsch Gate, that will give you an idea. The amp has excellent control on the bass, a wide soundstage but to say more than that will depend on what speakers you are using. If I were to describe in one word it would be "sweet".

estuardo4

« Reply #73 on: 21 Mar 2019, 06:40 am »
Witchdoctor,

One more question. I appreciate all the time that you're taking answering them.

I see that you are also recommending the Paradigm PW Amp, but I haven't read a comparison from you about the two amps. My guess is that you prefer the Powergate, but I'm really intrigued about the ARC system included with the Paradigm. I don't have a subwoofer on my listening room because it's a small one, but I've never used an audio correction system before and maybe the PW is the better option.

I don't have enough money to buy the two at the same time, so I have to choose one and your input is crucial to let me decide which I buy first.

Thank you for your help.

witchdoctor

« Reply #74 on: 21 Mar 2019, 01:52 pm »
Witchdoctor,

One more question. I appreciate all the time that you're taking answering them.

I see that you are also recommending the Paradigm PW Amp, but I haven't read a comparison from you about the two amps. My guess is that you prefer the Powergate, but I'm really intrigued about the ARC system included with the Paradigm. I don't have a subwoofer on my listening room because it's a small one, but I've never used an audio correction system before and maybe the PW is the better option.

I don't have enough money to buy the two at the same time, so I have to choose one and your input is crucial to let me decide which I buy first.

Thank you for your help.

The Paradigm Amp is more of a power amp, it lacks the features of the Powergate. I found it integrates subwoofer and satellites so good you are wrapped in a bubble of sound. The DAC was a little grainy compared to the powergate. If you already have a nice preamp and dac use the Paradigm. If you want a true integrated amp with the remote, the connectivity features and a better dac IMO choose the powergate.

Mojo Warrior

• Reality Star
« Reply #75 on: 1 May 2019, 03:55 pm »
Here is the the Klipsch Powergate put on a test bench and reviewed by a respected independent enthusiast, amirm.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-klipsch-powergate-dac-amp.7376/

Sparky14

« Reply #76 on: 1 May 2019, 07:25 pm »
Nice review.

I will add that I had an operation question that I sent to Klipsch. In the response, they specifically stated that the units being sold for $149 on Amazon are NOT sold by an authorized dealer and therefore do not have warranty status through Klipsch.

Luckily, mine is working great, and I did buy the $9 SquareTrade 4-year warranty on it through Amazon (although it looks like the current SquareTrade offering is $21.99 for 3 years).

witchdoctor

« Reply #77 on: 19 Oct 2019, 03:27 pm »
I just got a subscription to Roon and enabled MQA unfolding to the Powergate so it is now MQA enabled WOW! I am listening to a Masters Playlist of electronic music and the room is rocking. This device keeps getting better and better. The Playfi app feeds it hirez tracks from amazon NP. Now roon feeds it fully unfolded MQA tracks and the sound is stellar. This now sounds more like a $1500 integrated than a $150 integrated. I'm going to add an upgraded power plug next and lets see what that does,

witchdoctor

« Reply #78 on: 22 Nov 2019, 03:48 pm »
The Powergate and Amazon Ultra HD is a wonderful team. I stream either from the amazon app on my PC or the DTS Playfi app on my tablet. Sounds like $$$ rather than the $ cost of this setup, almost shocking.

LateApex

« Reply #79 on: 26 May 2020, 05:59 pm »
Hi Guys,  Just bumping this topic up to see what the best 2020 thinking is.  I'm looking for a C&C integrated and leaning towards a Powergate.  Couple questions:

1.  Lowest I have seen is $199.  Is that the best price in May 2020?  I haven't been able to find the $149.99 referenced in the thread earlier.
2.  I'm looking for:  Remote, wireless streaming & MM vinyl preamp built-in.  For $200 has anything eclipsed the Powergate I should consider?

Thanks!