Klipsch Powergate Integrated Amp

witchdoctor

Re: Klipsch Powergate Integrated Amp
« Reply #40 on: 6 Mar 2019, 02:01 pm »
I tried that, the green wi-fi setup light never goes solid as Klipsch says is needed. Well, I say never, I quit waiting after 30 minutes of slow blinking. I am thinking it might be an issue with our work wi-fi. We are not supposed to have anything blocked, but maybe something in the router is preventing it.

I may try at home to see, but since this is needed at work, may or may not.

Did you get it to update OK?

Sparky14

« Reply #41 on: 6 Mar 2019, 05:42 pm »
Did you get it to update OK?

Not yet, I'm going to take it home this weekend and try it on my home wi-fi.  Our work wi-fi is not supposed to be blocked from music streaming, but our IT person thinks there may be something that is unintentionally being blocked. I can't really ask him to look into it, so I'll try at home this weekend.

But I am really happy with it at the office playing music from my PC. Any of this streaming stuff will just be icing on the cake.

Branson4020

« Reply #42 on: 6 Mar 2019, 06:07 pm »
Does this gadget use Upnp to get connected?  Most corporate routers will have that disabled.

estuardo4

« Reply #43 on: 6 Mar 2019, 07:54 pm »
I checked with Klipsch tech support and they told me they don't publish those specs.

Thank you for asking. I believe it's an expected answer. Let's hope some reviewer can decode the innards of the Powergate.

I have another question Witchdoctor: You wrote that you have a Parasound Zamp v.3 and that you prefer the sound from the Powergate. The Parasound Zamp has been well reviewed for many years and I was leaning to purchase one, but then I read your review and stopped from buying it. I know that I won't get audiophile sound from neither of these amps, but in your opinion, which one is the closer to audiophile sound? Not your preference, just the one closer, as I'm guessing you've heard dozens of audiophile amps in your life, and I don't. Thank you.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #44 on: 6 Mar 2019, 10:41 pm »
Could anyone help with the server aspect . I am a luddite . I have a iTunes library . I would like to access the library through the Powergate . I assume the server is the function to use ? When I click on it it looks for music but does not find any . I have opened my iTunes preferences and clicked on sharing . Still does not work . Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated . Thanks ,mike.

OzarkTom

« Reply #45 on: 7 Mar 2019, 01:45 am »
Could anyone help with the server aspect . I am a luddite . I have a iTunes library . I would like to access the library through the Powergate . I assume the server is the function to use ? When I click on it it looks for music but does not find any . I have opened my iTunes preferences and clicked on sharing . Still does not work . Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated . Thanks ,mike.

These constant problems so many here is having makes me wonder if the design is flawed. People on Amazon is complaining also. Is that why prices have dropped so dramatically?

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #46 on: 7 Mar 2019, 02:01 am »
Hey Now,

I just a got a Gate and could not get my iTunes library
to be recognized. Read somewhere on the inter webs
that it is not designed for that. I downloaded a program
called Kodi and used that to create a UPnP/DLNA
server. Pretty easy. Download Kodi, launch,
Go to music, go find iTunes music folder, select to ingest music
and then from the Klipsch Streamer app select
Media Server and make sure Kodi is up and running on
your Mac or PC. Streams well and sounds very good
does hirez.

Finest kind,
Chris

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #47 on: 7 Mar 2019, 02:28 am »
So , now it found my Sonyhapzies  It shows my albums , I click on one and get a message -No Audio Content Found-

when I click on the Senseme Channels on the hap, it slowly pulls up Elvis 30 #1 hits . I can play those songs !
The Senseme channels are different categories like Morning , Daytime, Night , relax , ect.....

I haven't done the utility update yet though on the Powergate . Hopefully that will help

witchdoctor

« Reply #48 on: 7 Mar 2019, 03:59 am »
Thank you for asking. I believe it's an expected answer. Let's hope some reviewer can decode the innards of the Powergate.

I have another question Witchdoctor: You wrote that you have a Parasound Zamp v.3 and that you prefer the sound from the Powergate. The Parasound Zamp has been well reviewed for many years and I was leaning to purchase one, but then I read your review and stopped from buying it. I know that I won't get audiophile sound from neither of these amps, but in your opinion, which one is the closer to audiophile sound? Not your preference, just the one closer, as I'm guessing you've heard dozens of audiophile amps in your life, and I don't. Thank you.

The Zamp is very smooth and pleasant to listen to. I listened to it primarily in my desktop system driving a pair of JBL 230 speakers. The surprising thing about that amp is it has a good size power supply in a small package and the flexibility of using it as a 2 channel or a mono block. The JBL's are not that efficient and the soundstage of that amp extended a little beyong my desktop. The highs were clean, the bass was clean but the dynamics were what they were for a 40 watt a channel amp. The Parasound PW Amp includes a sub out and can be used as a streamer with the Play-Fi app. The killer feature is the ARC room correction. Even though it is a 50 watt amp the ARC integrates the sub and speakers so tight. Then it just immerses you in a bubble of sound.
The Powergate blows both of those amp away when you compare features. It is a true integrated amp where the others are basically power amps. As for the sound it is just the most natural, relaxing, and clearest of the three. It is articulate without being bright. It does everything the entire Z system I have can do (Zpre/Zdac/Zamp) and then some. The Z system lacked a sub out, an app for streaming, took up 3 times as much space, needed more cables, and cost more. Just the Zdac was 3 times the price of the Powergate. The Z System sounds great and when it came out class D amps and dac/amp/pre integrated amps were just starting to come into their own. Times have changed and now Klipsch can get all of that into one package (and then some).
Hope that helps.

witchdoctor

« Reply #49 on: 7 Mar 2019, 04:05 am »

Sure, read this:

https://play-fi.com/faq/entry/supported-media-servers

then this:

https://play-fi.com/faq/entry/recommended-media-server-software

and then get plex here:

https://www.plex.tv/

If you want more info on Plex check youtube.

Doublej

« Reply #50 on: 7 Mar 2019, 12:36 pm »
These constant problems so many here is having makes me wonder if the design is flawed. People on Amazon is complaining also. Is that why prices have dropped so dramatically?

It sounds more like Klipsch design choices and the limitation of technology. The lack of Airplay support IMHO is a fatal design decision which is why it does not work natively with iTunes. Audiophiles aside (which is a TINY market) people want seamless integration with what they have and I am guessing the market leader by far is iTunes libraries.

For wireless setup of a device to a network, WPS works great sometimes other times not well at all. It depends upon the quality of your wifi router. And the quality of wifi routers range from total garbage to spectacular. Guess how the Klipsch gets rateds if one has a crappy router and it's not Klipsch fault completely.

OzarkTom

« Reply #51 on: 7 Mar 2019, 01:21 pm »
It sounds more like Klipsch design choices and the limitation of technology. The lack of Airplay support IMHO is a fatal design decision which is why it does not work natively with iTunes. Audiophiles aside (which is a TINY market) people want seamless integration with what they have and I am guessing the market leader by far is iTunes libraries.

For wireless setup of a device to a network, WPS works great sometimes other times not well at all. It depends upon the quality of your wifi router. And the quality of wifi routers range from total garbage to spectacular. Guess how the Klipsch gets rateds if one has a crappy router and it's not Klipsch fault completely.

Can you recommend a great router?

witchdoctor

« Reply #52 on: 7 Mar 2019, 03:23 pm »

Here is a FAQ about Play-Fi and Airplay, does this help?

https://play-fi.com/faq/entry/how-do-i-use-airplay-with-a-play-fi-product

witchdoctor

« Reply #53 on: 7 Mar 2019, 03:25 pm »

IDK if they are great but I really like Netgear.

witchdoctor

« Reply #54 on: 7 Mar 2019, 03:30 pm »
BTW, listening to Daft punk Random Access memories album through the Powergate this morning, I love how it controls the bass when you crank it.

Doublej

« Reply #55 on: 8 Mar 2019, 02:47 am »
Here is a FAQ about Play-Fi and Airplay, does this help?

https://play-fi.com/faq/entry/how-do-i-use-airplay-with-a-play-fi-product

witchdoctor,

I think this is a brilliant find that may solve the problem. Through the wording is not very clear, if I am interpreting the statement correctly, Play-fi devices will appear as Airplay speakers in iTunes or iOS.

Once the Klipsch device is connected to the network, if one opens iTunes and clicks on the Airplay icon ot the right of the volume slider, one should see the Klipsch Gate or PowerGate and be able to select it, thereby sending the output of iTunes to it. No need for a Plex server or anything else.

It should just work!!! ...and from iTunes on a PC too!

More broadly one should be able to send the audio of any iOS app to the Klipsh.

More detail on Airplay here --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809

If this works it truly is brilliant and one of the most under communicated features of Play-Fi.

Chris, give this a try and let us know how you make out.

Question 2 is can a gate be added to a network without using the WPS button? To do this one would like use something in one of the Klipsch apps to connect the phone or tablet to the Klipsch by selecting it as the wifi network in your phone/tablet wifi settings.

Then one would open the app where it would tell you to enter the network SSID and SSID password that you want the Klipsch to connect to. The app would load that into the Klipsch putting the Klipsch on the network.

Lastly regarding wifi routers, I would look at Ubiquiti, Eero which is being bought by Amazon, and Linksys Velops. The downside is price and if in addition to wireless you want to used wired connections you need to add another box. I'd also look at Asus.

I run a $20 N300 wifi router which totally sucked until I replaced the manufacturer's software with DD-WRT and since then it's been spectacular. Has 4 wired ports too.

apstoltz

« Reply #56 on: 8 Mar 2019, 02:00 pm »

I would use a mesh network system, like the google wifi, linksys velop etc.... I switched over my old netgear to the google wifi and have been very pleased with the results. Very easy to setup and manage.

witchdoctor

« Reply #57 on: 8 Mar 2019, 03:10 pm »
witchdoctor,

I think this is a brilliant find that may solve the problem. Through the wording is not very clear, if I am interpreting the statement correctly, Play-fi devices will appear as Airplay speakers in iTunes or iOS.

Once the Klipsch device is connected to the network, if one opens iTunes and clicks on the Airplay icon ot the right of the volume slider, one should see the Klipsch Gate or PowerGate and be able to select it, thereby sending the output of iTunes to it. No need for a Plex server or anything else.

It should just work!!! ...and from iTunes on a PC too!

More broadly one should be able to send the audio of any iOS app to the Klipsh.

More detail on Airplay here --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809

If this works it truly is brilliant and one of the most under communicated features of Play-Fi.

Chris, give this a try and let us know how you make out.

Question 2 is can a gate be added to a network without using the WPS button? To do this one would like use something in one of the Klipsch apps to connect the phone or tablet to the Klipsch by selecting it as the wifi network in your phone/tablet wifi settings.

Then one would open the app where it would tell you to enter the network SSID and SSID password that you want the Klipsch to connect to. The app would load that into the Klipsch putting the Klipsch on the network.

Lastly regarding wifi routers, I would look at Ubiquiti, Eero which is being bought by Amazon, and Linksys Velops. The downside is price and if in addition to wireless you want to used wired connections you need to add another box. I'd also look at Asus.

I run a $20 N300 wifi router which totally sucked until I replaced the manufacturer's software with DD-WRT and since then it's been spectacular. Has 4 wired ports too.

Yes, a Gate (or any play-fi product) can be added to a network without a WPS button. The Play-Fi app has a wizard to add a product. Every play-fi product has a wifi button on the back. You hold the button down for around 8 seconds until the wifi light pulses slowly, then walk through the add a product wizard. It will scan your network, find the product, run a software update, have you name it, and add it to the network. When adding a product it is best to do it close to your router. After you update it you can place it where ever. Some products also have a "utility" app to run firmware updates. Make sure to run those too.

gwing

« Reply #58 on: 10 Mar 2019, 01:21 am »
I hate to be the bearer of not so good news, I have 4 Gates, 1 PowerGate and a PR5 none of which show up as Airplay targets on my network.  All software has been updated but other than a couple of receivers, Airport Express and a couple of Kodi boxes they just don't show up.  I went as far as to swap out my router to see if that made a difference. Play-fi talks about Airplay and Phorus makes mention on their site but I don't remember seeing it on the Klipsch site except in reference to the G-17 speaker.

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #59 on: 10 Mar 2019, 07:35 pm »
Hey Now,

I bought a Powergate (at $149.99 a real audio bargain), so now I have a Gate and Powergate. I still cannot get them to work with AirPlay . . . . I have tried all the suggestions. I would really like to know if anyone has connected their Gate or Powergate to use AirPlay????? I don't see anyway it can. Even though it is on my only network, it never appears in iTunes or Sound Preferences for selection or Roon (automatically connects to all AirPlay devices). When I run LANScan, it appears with an IP address. Go figure.

Sure wish it had a Roon Endpoint or even work with AirPlay. I set Kodi up as a UPnP/DLNA server and I can stream from my music library HD, but it is cumbersome at best (Kodi interface is rather inelegant ). Some have suggested using PLEX, but I just used a Raspberry Pi 3 I had laying around with Ropieee as an Roon Endpoint and connect to the USB input. I am able to upsample my files to 192kHz from Roon and use it's interface. Works and sounds good.

This thing sounds crazy good for the $$$, true cheap and cheerful. I am just using it in the kitchen for background music, but it sounds very good and the remote works well for me. I have a tuner connected to the phono input, the Bluetooth streaming Tidal from my iPhone sounds better than I thought it would, USB is my RPi3, the Aux in is my Walkman ZX2 through an iFi iTube to increase gain by 6db and for some tubey goodness for Tidal offline downloaded files, and I am thinking of a way to use the optical for the TV. All in all this is very versatile and great sounding for the money spent on it at Amazon. I tried the Ethernet input and output, but it caused a bit of buzziness, so I nixed that. I am also using the subwoofer out to a Crown XLS-1500 in bridged mode into a DIY sub.  I am driving a pair of Role Audio Kayak speakers. And did I mention it has a remote, that doesn't need to be line of sight  8). I'm liking it.

--
Finest kind,
Chris