Klipsch Powergate Integrated Amp

david45

Re: Klipsch Powergate Integrated Amp
« Reply #20 on: 2 Mar 2019, 12:52 am »
Hello Witchdoctor, thank you for your report about the Powergate,

I've been searching and searching to no avail, about the class D amp used on this amp. There is a review that shows the innards of the system, showing in detail the power section and the amp section, but I cannot locate the amp details.

https://i1.wp.com/blog.son-video.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Powergate-Generale-02.jpg?ssl=1

Do you have an idea of what type of amp is used? It should be a moderately decent chip, based on the $499 initial price tag.

Thank you for your help.

''I did a little searching to see what we could learn about what class D technology they used; and it looks like the Powergate Max uses Hypex UCD-180 modules''       reddit audiophile forum

I'm guessing this is a possibility  :scratch:

estuardo4

« Reply #21 on: 2 Mar 2019, 01:06 am »
That's the chip used on the Powergate Max. I doubt they used it on the Powergate. But if yes, then the Powergate is the steal of the year.

I also doubt that they used an ICE module, I don't see traces of it on the pic I linked.

I hope somebody can tell us.

witchdoctor

« Reply #22 on: 2 Mar 2019, 04:42 am »
IDK the chip used,if I find out I'll post.

estuardo4

« Reply #23 on: 2 Mar 2019, 06:19 pm »
IDK the chip used,if I find out I'll post.

Based on your comments and appreciation of the sound quality, the Powergate should have decent specs, specially for a $499 list product. The fact that they are selling the Powergate at $150 I suppose is because the problems and returns they probably had with the old firmware.

The same have happened with other products from defunct companies. I appreciate your comments and now I'm looking forward to buy one. If you have more comments about the sound quality, I'd appreciate if you can share them with us.

witchdoctor

« Reply #24 on: 2 Mar 2019, 08:41 pm »
Based on your comments and appreciation of the sound quality, the Powergate should have decent specs, specially for a $499 list product. The fact that they are selling the Powergate at $150 I suppose is because the problems and returns they probably had with the old firmware.

The same have happened with other products from defunct companies. I appreciate your comments and now I'm looking forward to buy one. If you have more comments about the sound quality, I'd appreciate if you can share them with us.

You are correct about the software, most reviews that are negative focus on the Play-Fi app. That app has been updated since the 2016 launch many times and works fine for me. I actually prefer it over Bluos, especially when you have multiple zones setup.
I got the Gate before the Powergate. It took me a while to put my finger on the sound signature but after a lot of comparison I think the best I could describe it is very analog like. Sometimes even very good digital equipment sounds slightly compressed, even equipment that upscales the signal. The gate just has a very, very open, uncompressed, natural SQ. In a nutshell you just don't want to stop listening, the SQ just pulls you in. My "light bulb" moment was wehen I deduced this is a "Klipsch" product (my first actually). Klipsch is all about old school "heritage" products, turn tables and there speakers are very "tube" friendly. That is when I figured out the Klipsch engineers must use vinyll as a standard to voice there digital products.
Next up was the Powergate. I have compared it to both of my desktop amps, the Parasound ZAmp v3 (50 WPC), the Paradigm PW Amp (also a DTS Play-Fi friendly product). I have also compared the DAC section to the Bluesound Node, the Paradigm PW Amp's DAC, and the Parasound ZDac. All of those products retail for around $500. The Powergate amp has a very wide soundstage, treats the midrange and high's very natural, no compression or hashy like brightness that I can hear. The BIG surprise was how it treats the bass. There is NO boominess, every drum hit sounds like a real drum, the stick snap, the brush stroke, the kick drum, the pluck of a bass. I have only heard that type of clear articulate bass on $$$ systems.
The remote allows you to have volume controls for both the speakers and the sub. You can connect multiple ways. It is SMALL and once I listen to it I just get sucked into the music (again). In your heart you know there is better SQ to be had (for more $$$), but the desire to pursue it just isn't there because the Powergate is so satisfying. Your brain is saying "this is only $150 amp so it must be for causal listening" your ears are saying "sweeeet, don't stop the music".

The Powergate also has the flexibilty to use an outboard DAC or turntable, you can use the L-R pre-outs to connect another amp (for another zone, bi-amping, or just something with more WPC).

So, I hope that helps, let me know if you have questions.

chrshanl

« Reply #25 on: 2 Mar 2019, 08:55 pm »
I will be getting a PowerGate next week to power a set of Proac Studio 3’s. Same drivers as ATC scm 50’s. I will post my impressions once I spend some time with it.

witchdoctor

« Reply #26 on: 2 Mar 2019, 09:54 pm »
I will be getting a PowerGate next week to power a set of Proac Studio 3’s. Same drivers as ATC scm 50’s. I will post my impressions once I spend some time with it.

Thank you, I was wondering how it would sound with a bigger pair of speakers. :)

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #27 on: 3 Mar 2019, 03:13 am »
Order the Powergate , Will arrive Monday , My uncle ordered one as well . Will report back

witchdoctor

« Reply #28 on: 3 Mar 2019, 04:41 am »
Order the Powergate , Will arrive Monday , My uncle ordered one as well . Will report back

Have fun playing around with the various connections. Remember to download both the Klipsch Stream app AND the Utility app to do updates. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eok_GjgfZw

This video will get you up to speed on the Stream app after you do the updates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqNTCHKiong

witchdoctor

« Reply #29 on: 3 Mar 2019, 09:19 pm »
I did an A/B comparison with the dac's of the Gate and Powergate using the Powergates RCA outs into my preamp. It was easy to stream to both units at the same time within the playfi app. I was able to toggle back and forth between both with my remote. Very little difference in the SQ of the dacs streaming Tidal from the app.

I also connected a Bluesound Node to the Powergate using the digital out from the Node to the digital in of the Powergate (the Gate lacks the digital in). The SQ was pretty much the same as streaming Tidal directly from the Powergate. I prefer the SQ of the Powergate to the Node, YMMV.

Sparky14

« Reply #30 on: 4 Mar 2019, 03:55 pm »
My Powergate arrived Friday, within 36 hours of my order - nice.

I am using it at my desk, USB audio via PC with Foobar. Connection and playback was simple. Sound through the speakers is good, nothing spectacular, but more than adequate for the task. Difference between a 24/192 FLAC file and a 320 MP3 file is apparent, but not substantial.

The headphone playback on the unit is nothing special. Fortunately, the Powergate has a pre-out should I decide a separate headphone amp is necessary.

I've failed after an hour of attempts to get the Klipsch App on my Android phone to connect to the unit. Once in a while, it says it connects to the Play-Fi unit, but before I can get the Wi-Fi password entered, it loses the connection. That's happened 5-6 times. The phone will see it, but lose it before the next step. Frustrating. I'll try again later.

Pretty handy little unit. Not an audiophile product, but definitely a nice swiss army knife.

witchdoctor

« Reply #31 on: 4 Mar 2019, 05:39 pm »
My Powergate arrived Friday, within 36 hours of my order - nice.

I am using it at my desk, USB audio via PC with Foobar. Connection and playback was simple. Sound through the speakers is good, nothing spectacular, but more than adequate for the task. Difference between a 24/192 FLAC file and a 320 MP3 file is apparent, but not substantial.

The headphone playback on the unit is nothing special. Fortunately, the Powergate has a pre-out should I decide a separate headphone amp is necessary.

I've failed after an hour of attempts to get the Klipsch App on my Android phone to connect to the unit. Once in a while, it says it connects to the Play-Fi unit, but before I can get the Wi-Fi password entered, it loses the connection. That's happened 5-6 times. The phone will see it, but lose it before the next step. Frustrating. I'll try again later.

Pretty handy little unit. Not an audiophile product, but definitely a nice swiss army knife.

Try holding down the wifi button the back for around 8 seconds, the light needs to be pulsing slowly to connect.
Remember to get both the Klipsch stream app and the Utility app to run the firmware updates.

estuardo4

« Reply #32 on: 4 Mar 2019, 07:42 pm »

For me, it is OK. For $150 USD you receive more features and maybe better sound and construction, than a SMSL AD18, at the same price.

I don't have much money to spend, so having an option on a product that differentiates from all the Topping, SMSL and Nubsound products at the same price is a bonus.

Sparky14

« Reply #33 on: 4 Mar 2019, 09:25 pm »
Try holding down the wifi button the back for around 8 seconds, the light needs to be pulsing slowly to connect.
Remember to get both the Klipsch stream app and the Utility app to run the firmware updates.

Thanks, here's what I get....

Power on, hold down Wi-Fi Setup button for 8+ seconds (until I hear 2nd chime). App searches for device. Says 1 Play-Fi found. Click on Set-Up. Enter Wi-Fi password. Says attempting to connect. Says "completed Set-Up"...and then immediately goes into search for device mode again. Comes back with "Devices Not Found".

I have the Utility app as well, but it is not able to connect to anything. It searches...finds nothing.

witchdoctor

« Reply #34 on: 4 Mar 2019, 10:26 pm »
You need to move the device next to your wifi router when you are updating firmware with the playfi app. Move it next to the router and try again.

Sparky14

« Reply #35 on: 4 Mar 2019, 11:26 pm »
You need to move the device next to your wifi router when you are updating firmware with the playfi app. Move it next to the router and try again.

I tried that, the green wi-fi setup light never goes solid as Klipsch says is needed. Well, I say never, I quit waiting after 30 minutes of slow blinking. I am thinking it might be an issue with our work wi-fi. We are not supposed to have anything blocked, but maybe something in the router is preventing it.

I may try at home to see, but since this is needed at work, may or may not.

Doublej

« Reply #36 on: 4 Mar 2019, 11:46 pm »
Just a guess that nothing is being blocked at work but your company does not allow WPS setup. I don't know if an IP address can be manually entered using the Klipsch utility app.

You might also need to register the device with your company network in order for it to be allowed to connect to your company's wifi.

OzarkTom

« Reply #37 on: 5 Mar 2019, 12:13 am »
Thanks, here's what I get....

Power on, hold down Wi-Fi Setup button for 8+ seconds (until I hear 2nd chime). App searches for device. Says 1 Play-Fi found. Click on Set-Up. Enter Wi-Fi password. Says attempting to connect. Says "completed Set-Up"...and then immediately goes into search for device mode again. Comes back with "Devices Not Found".

I am having the same problem with my Bluesound  2i. It will work on Ethernet only.

witchdoctor

« Reply #38 on: 5 Mar 2019, 12:17 am »
Do NOT try to download firmware via wireless on a work network due to firewall precautions from the network administrator.
Do it at home and Ozarktom has a good point, use a wired ethernet connection if possible for the update.
The Gate doesn't have an ethernet port but the Powergate does.

witchdoctor

« Reply #39 on: 6 Mar 2019, 02:00 pm »
That's the chip used on the Powergate Max. I doubt they used it on the Powergate. But if yes, then the Powergate is the steal of the year.

I also doubt that they used an ICE module, I don't see traces of it on the pic I linked.

I hope somebody can tell us.

I checked with Klipsch tech support and they told me they don't publish those specs.