PS4 vs Xbone

Woodsea

Re: PS4 vs Xbone
« Reply #40 on: 8 Nov 2013, 06:05 pm »
I have cancelled my xbox one pre-order.  Too many things I do not like about both consoles this session.  Not being able to communicate to my 360 buddies that have not gotten the one, is a major obstacle.  My 360 is doing just fine.  Plus, I might as well wait for the February sales after all the bugs, and long term user fallout get reported, and sales have started to decline and both companies throw in even more freebies for buyers.  :shh:

MaxCast

« Reply #41 on: 8 Nov 2013, 06:44 pm »
Our ps3 tanked.  Tried to talk the boys into getting a ps4.  They said no lets try to get the 3 fixed.   :scratch:
Thought they'd be all up for it.  I guess that's ok except they want a couple new games which we'll have to get for the 3 assuming I can get it fixed for a decent price.  We'll be waiting too.

Woodsea

« Reply #42 on: 9 Nov 2013, 12:40 am »
Sometimes it is easier to find a used PS3 on Craigslist, than to fix the PS3.  Mine broke (original) had it fixed, and it broke again.  The amount paid would pay for another one.  I can see PS3 going for $75 in about 3 months, you can get one now for $125.

Bemopti123

« Reply #43 on: 9 Nov 2013, 12:51 am »
I used to play an airplane game on Commodore 64 that loaded via an external cassette deck.
It took about 45 minutes to load the game, each time you wanted to play it.  :o

& people moan about content restrictions and the like for the Xbox One and other newer generation consoles.  I think piracy was common especially with the tape format used for data, no? :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #44 on: 9 Nov 2013, 07:16 am »
I have cancelled my xbox one pre-order.  Too many things I do not like about both consoles this session.  Not being able to communicate to my 360 buddies that have not gotten the one, is a major obstacle.  My 360 is doing just fine.  Plus, I might as well wait for the February sales after all the bugs, and long term user fallout get reported, and sales have started to decline and both companies throw in even more freebies for buyers.  :shh:

Don't fret, I think a lot of those players are going to migrate to the ps4. It's cheaper, more powerful, the controller is awesome, seriously,  and they have a whole new online setup going forward. You should consider it to, it's the best one this time, the library is going to be ENORMOUS as well because they have all the Indie support, and making games for the system is reportedly a walk in the park.

gregcss

« Reply #45 on: 9 Nov 2013, 07:53 pm »
I'm undecided between the two. Currently have a 360 which I play from time to time, I would get cod ghosts but waiting to buy for one of the new consoles. My bluray player has been having playback issues lately which doesn't appear to be scratched or dirty discs from netflix and redbox. That said, which ever console I get (if i get) will replace my BD player. The 360 is loud when playing games discs, hopefully both the XB1 and PS4 are quiet when playing discs. My receiver does the decoding and dont care about 3D so either console should be just fine. Is it possible that one console is better than the other for BD playback?

pardales

« Reply #46 on: 9 Nov 2013, 08:23 pm »
My son really wants an XB1. We are coming off a Wii game system and ready to step into the big leagues. He perceives the XB1 as being better if he wants to play with friends who live in other parts of the country who also have 1's or 360's. He believes the XB1 will be able to play all the 360 games; is that true?

Trying to get him to keep an open mind as it appears the PS4 may be the better gaming system, though I am not really sure he would notice the difference. We're coming off the Wii for goodness sake.  :thumb:

Woodsea

« Reply #47 on: 9 Nov 2013, 11:33 pm »
Neither machine is backwards compatible.  The xbox one will be the centerpiece for your family room, whereas the PS4 is just for gaming and it shows in its capabilities.  Both consoles will be overwhelmed by upcoming pc's and incoming consoles from the likes of Steam. 
The 360 and xbox one owners will not at this time be able to communicate with each other.  Big mistake on Microsofts part.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #48 on: 9 Nov 2013, 11:46 pm »
Question:
Let's say you're playing a game that is available on both the PS3 and PS4, will you be able to join with people playing on the other console, or are the servers console specific?

Rclark

« Reply #49 on: 9 Nov 2013, 11:47 pm »
Ps4 has a lot of strength though, instead of esram they packed a ton of compute hardware in there, far more than the 1 has, plus it has Huma, which will also come into play later. It will be a graphics/physics beast for a long time to come.

Ps4 has all that voice control, etc (if you want that), with the seperately sold camera. It's just not packing thermal cameras and all the extra stuff kinect has.

But as far as gaming, ps4 at least isn't getting left behind anytime soon, it's the x1 with that problem.

Rclark

« Reply #50 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:01 am »
Question:
Let's say you're playing a game that is available on both the PS3 and PS4, will you be able to join with people playing on the other console, or are the servers console specific?

I know there will be cross play Ps4-Pc titles such as Final Fanstasy, where both pc and ps4 gamers can play simultaneously,  and I expect more of that, but doubt there will be ps3-ps4 cross play. Imo the ps4 controller is an unfair advantage against ps3, it's THAT much better.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:03 am »
 :(

Rclark

« Reply #52 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:05 am »
Hey, Gamestop will give you normal credit for your ps3's plus another 90% on top of that if you want to credit to a ps4Bob  :)

Edit: tommorrow only!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #53 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:18 am »
I didn't know that. Still no money though, and you've still got to buy the games on top if it. My son and I seem to have a rule that we won't advance our systems and games unless the other one can. Right now, the money for two consoles and the games to go with it just aren't going to happen.
That's why I was asking if PS3 gamers are still able to link with PS4 "in game". I've got a bunch of fellas on my list that will be climbing to number four in a couple weeks.

Bob

Woodsea

« Reply #54 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:24 am »
I have to disagree with you on the left behind part.  Any game developer will tell you that the latest graphics cards with the latest CPU is above both consoles.  But, both consoles will be able to play all their games, but at lower resolution, and less AI that is just the way it is.  Both consoles are using a CPU that is over a year old in development years compared to what is coming by the 1st quarter of 2014.  Plus, as Rclark has already stated the R9 is awesome as a graphics board.

Rclark

« Reply #55 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:35 am »
You can disagree, but you really don't understand the hardware  :D. The gpgpu compute units on the ps4 gpu are like having dual cpu's. The x1 and ps4 are in no way similar, performance wise. Sorry to break it to you.  :thumb:

Yes, a pc can be better, but it won't be cheap, and ps4 has architecture that will continue to shine through 2016 and beyond.

X1 is weak weak weak.

Woodsea

« Reply #56 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:50 am »
You need to prove it rather that spout it.  Where is the proof in all of your fawning over the PS4.  You have not played with the kinect, nor the xbox one.  How can you make your statements without facts.
You keep stating "trust me"  I trust my friends but cut the cards, and I get my information from more than one reliable source.

Rclark

« Reply #57 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:04 am »
Proof, sigh. Ok. Making me work now.

Give me a few miutes.

Rclark

« Reply #58 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:28 am »
Let's start with specs.

X1 and Ps4 both have Jaguar Apu's. An APU is a new concept that bring the cpu and gpu together on one chip, elimination of all the busses and distance that seperate them as in a pc where you have cpu on motherboard, gpu in a seperate card

the difference is the implementation.  Ps4 has a very beefy chip, they were able to jam pack it with hardware, because their memory system is very very very fast, and unified, meaning one pool of memory. Which also enables Huma, a new technology that allows the cpu and gpu to access the same exact data independent ly of each other, without the previous bottlenecks.

Ps4's Jaguar APU has a vastly superior GPU.

It features 32 Rops
18 Compute Units
8 ACE's, 64 que's
1152 texture units

And I could go on.

X1 has have the Rops (rendering units), at only 16
only 12 Compute Units
2 ACE's, 12 ques.
768 texture units.

Secondly, the memory system is far superior on ps4. It has 8GB GDDR5 operating at a very high clockspeed, which enables a consistent 172-176 GB/sec across all 8 gigs.

X1 has 8 gigs of old slow DDR3, which is not suitable for graphics work, and they band aid this by stuffing 32 megabytes of Esram right there on the Apu. It's why the ps4 gpu is so much better. Limited space and esram takes a lot. The DDR3 has a bandwidth of 68GB/sec, the Esram 150 in lab, not real world. And it's complicated to use. Large slow pool, tiny tiny fast pool. No Huma possible in this case.

The games: (so far)

X1

Ryse: 900p 30fps
Dead Rising 3: 720p 30fps
call of duty: 720 p 60fps
battlefield: 720p
Destiny: 720P
forza: 1080p 60fps (but is basically old graphics engine. No dynamic lighting, no weather, no night driving, all static environment. And is quite ugly with bad antialiasing. Very jaggy compared to Drive Club)

Ps4

Killzone;: 1080p 60
call of dury: 1080P 60
Destiny: 1080P
Driveclub 1080P 60
Resogun 1080P 60
The order 1886 900 (but it's 1080P density with black bars for a 21/9 widescreen ratio, not upscaled 900P like Ryse).

And so far everything shown is prettier on ps4.

And it's $100 cheaper. I could go on, there's plenty of proof,  growing day by day, and it's not going away. There is a 55%+ power advantage for ps4.

Hell it has 1.84 Tflops versus xbox 1.18.

Do you understand what that means? The 360 was about a 300gflop machine. The difference in just graphics output, not even counting the other advantages,  is like an x1 with two 360's strapped on.

Let it go  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #59 on: 10 Nov 2013, 01:34 am »
Wow.  :o Not even Google can translate that.