Idea for new line in Daedalus speakers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Idea for new line in Daedalus speakers
« Reply #20 on: 3 Oct 2019, 12:36 am »
Enclosures are need only to make bass, If this speaker will not make bass it dont need a box enclosure just the baffle and the right driver.

WC

« Reply #21 on: 3 Oct 2019, 03:31 am »
The general rule is:

Small size
High efficiency
Deep bass

Pick 2!  :lol:

:thumb:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #22 on: 3 Oct 2019, 05:10 am »
Daedalus has been successful in the past without polling AC members. Frankly, we don't have a clue.

With that being said and since you asked for opinions, here's mine -- Daedalus is at the top of my wish list of speakers to buy & try, but they're cost prohibitive. An entry level monitor in your lineup would be great, but at $5,000, it's way too pricey, IMO [NOTE: I paid about $2,500 for my current monitors].  Many high end companies of all kinds have entry level products that are designed to entice new customers who aren't able or willing (at least initially) to dive straight into their higher end models. Whet their appetite and leave them drooling for more.

I agree. $1.5K to $3K budget two way bookshelf.

cementhead

« Reply #23 on: 3 Oct 2019, 09:08 am »
I agree with Early B.  I currently have 3 sets of monitors in the 2-4K list price range.  While the Daedalus line is beautiful, these are pretty much all to big for my set up, (no floor standers).  A monitor in this range will be very intriguing.

mick wolfe

« Reply #24 on: 3 Oct 2019, 06:55 pm »
I agree. $1.5K to $3K budget two way bookshelf.

Yep, totally agree. Not to mention many of the monitors in this price range, especially factory direct offerings, offer a liberal audition period.  Not sure that's an option (audition) with a custom built all wood offering.

Jarbs

« Reply #25 on: 3 Oct 2019, 11:00 pm »
An enclosure protects the wiring and working parts from cats, small fingers, and such. IMO looks more consistent with the price point. A bread board with drivers mounted looks bricolage.

How bout a two-way, 1” Eton, and dual 6” in compound load. Compact with controlled bass. Efficiency might be possible.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #26 on: 4 Oct 2019, 12:55 am »
If a box is inevitable, a hybrid box could lower the price, Baffle in real wood and sides in Baltic Birch.

Brettio

« Reply #27 on: 4 Oct 2019, 02:50 am »
Aside from Lew and the sound quality of his speakers, to me the components, the cabinetry, the care and the build quality are what define this company.  I think you’re diluting the brand by not including them in a lesser cost build. Can you include those in a $5,000 build and still make it worth your while?  If so I say make it and the orders will come.

kingdeezie

« Reply #28 on: 4 Oct 2019, 01:54 pm »
Lou, can you do something similar to the Muse Studio with a smaller driver (s)? That driver configuration worked very well in a nearfield arrangement, which makes it a good option for monitors. Smaller drivers in that configuration in your excellent cabinetry at 4-5K could be a strong seller.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 4 Oct 2019, 02:08 pm »
Agreed, don't dilute the quality of the work just to appeal to the 3k budget crowd.  Make it at the same level of quality as the rest of your speakers, and let the price fall wherever it needs to.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 4 Oct 2019, 06:48 pm »
Agreed, don't dilute the quality of the work just to appeal to the 3k budget crowd.  Make it at the same level of quality as the rest of your speakers, and let the price fall wherever it needs to.

We never said compromise on what makes a Daedalus speaker what it is. But, there is no reason why he can't make a small bookshelf that fits in that category we are talking about. Even if it's $3K-$4K. $5K is reaching small tower category with some brands.

Early B.

« Reply #31 on: 4 Oct 2019, 08:16 pm »
We never said compromise on what makes a Daedalus speaker what it is. But, there is no reason why he can't make a small bookshelf that fits in that category we are talking about. Even if it's $3K-$4K. $5K is reaching small tower category with some brands.

Most speaker manufacturers provide offerings that appeal to a variety of customer segments based on price. Daedalus won't "dilute the brand" or compromise simply because they choose to offer a less expensive speaker option. Salk Sound, for example, offers "entry level" and "high end" speakers. No one capable of purchasing a pair of high end speakers will eschew Salk because they sell speakers in several different price ranges.

Brettio

« Reply #32 on: 4 Oct 2019, 08:37 pm »
We never said compromise on what makes a Daedalus speaker what it is. But, there is no reason why he can't make a small bookshelf that fits in that category we are talking about. Even if it's $3K-$4K.

I would suggest there may be reasons but it’s not up to me to make that decision.

Tyson

« Reply #33 on: 4 Oct 2019, 08:45 pm »

By definition, 'entry level' anything is a compromise.  In some cases, it's many many compromises. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 4 Oct 2019, 09:01 pm »
Most speaker manufacturers provide offerings that appeal to a variety of customer segments based on price. Daedalus won't "dilute the brand" or compromise simply because they choose to offer a less expensive speaker option. Salk Sound, for example, offers "entry level" and "high end" speakers. No one capable of purchasing a pair of high end speakers will eschew Salk because they sell speakers in several different price ranges.

Let's not crap on Daedalus' section by talking about other brands specifically. But, it does show that you can sell quality speakers (finish and performance) and not totally break the bank. All we are asking for is little smaller speaker that will not break the bank. I am all for options that the newer audiophile can acquire that get's their foot in the door and crave more.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 4 Oct 2019, 09:05 pm »
By definition, 'entry level' anything is a compromise.  In some cases, it's many many compromises.

Agree. But, in this case, we are strictly talking size.

Tyson

« Reply #36 on: 4 Oct 2019, 09:11 pm »
And, going back to read the original post, nowhere does Lou say anything about entry level anything.  Based on the initial post, he wants to build a bookshelf speaker to complement the tower speakers he already makes.  I seriously doubt he's gonna start using MDF or 'cheaping out' in other ways in order to hit a price point. 

I've seen Lou's speakers in person - they are freaking works of art.  A big part of that is because they are made out of 100% natural wood.  And he has a level of performance that matches the beauty of the woodwork.  I suspect that quality of that level simply can't be done for less than $5k or so.  Which means, if you want an amazing, reference level bookshelf speaker in both sound and appearance, you're gonna have to pony up the $$. 

I think it would be quite silly for Lou to come out with MDF (or baltic birch) based speakers, when his reputation is built on his amazing real wood cabinetry.

Early B.

« Reply #37 on: 5 Oct 2019, 04:50 am »
And, going back to read the original post, nowhere does Lou say anything about entry level anything.  Based on the initial post, he wants to build a bookshelf speaker to complement the tower speakers he already makes. 

Well, what Lou really wanted to know is if we think his speaker monitor concept is worth developing or if the market is too saturated.

I don't think the market is saturated in that price range with high efficiency monitors.   

Brettio

« Reply #38 on: 5 Oct 2019, 08:17 am »
I'm thinking about developing a couple of new, smaller speakers. The idea is a two way system based on a 6" driver we can design similar to our 8" driver, and the same Eton tweeter we use in all our systems. 

The cabinets would be solid hardwood of course and I have an idea to make them more rounded and less "boxy".

Perhaps I missed a clue, but does this necessarily mean that the new speaker would be a monitor or bookshelf speaker? Could a floor standing speaker with a smaller footprint than their other offerings be a possibility? I ask, almost hopefully, as I’m in the floor standing speaker camp. 

dodgealum

« Reply #39 on: 7 Oct 2019, 03:17 pm »
I know this will drive up the cost but you may want to think about doing integrated/matching hardwood stands for these which will be beautiful and distinguish them from other monitors currently available. You could do something with inlay that would match the speaker and make for a really pretty combination.