Super V sound after the build

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: Super V sound after the build
« Reply #100 on: 1 Jun 2012, 01:17 pm »
Bad news.

We'll have to bail out of this since one of our guys is allergic to seafood. :(

I was really looking forward to explore that restaurant.

Sorry.
Went ahead and made reservations for 7:45 outside overlooking the water (they have heaters if it gets cold)

If anybody needs adjustments, let me know so I can change it.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #101 on: 1 Jun 2012, 10:15 pm »
Sorry to hear. They do have steaks (which is what I'll order).
Steve (Cheeseboy) and I are cruising around the show. If I donMt hear from you in a couple hours, I'll change the reservations

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #102 on: 2 Jun 2012, 12:02 am »
They have steaks? :)

Please swing by Atrium # 220 then.

tasar

« Reply #103 on: 5 Jun 2012, 02:40 pm »
Once they are burned in then you really shouldn't hear any adverse effect, just a shift in tonal balance. You are pulling the bottom end away from your P-Audio driver. This effects them well up into the mid-bass and lower vocals.

If the use of the cap gives you to thin of a sound in that lower range then increase the crossover point slightly on the sub amp and the tonal balance will come right back to where it was without the Platinum cap in line with your amp.

Danny......perhaps you could "stickie" this subject with some pictures to boot. The ins and outs of LF limitation. Since most are running Vs low level feeds, perhaps the preamp is the place to populate one "out" side with these Sonicaps or other.

The cap protects the P-Audio driver from being over driven with low frequency and relieves your main amp of any low frequency duties or current demands.

Danny Richie

« Reply #104 on: 5 Jun 2012, 03:54 pm »
Tasar, I might just have to make these guys some custom Y adapters with the Platinum caps installed so that it is as easy as plug and play with no adverse effects.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #105 on: 5 Jun 2012, 07:17 pm »
Danny,

At THE Show we were able to hear the Emerald Physics open baffle speakers with a single REL sub.  My friend it was good real good.  But it did not even come close to the Super V I heard at Michaels house even with the crossover opportunities he has finally resolved.  I may have to make a change at our house.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #106 on: 5 Jun 2012, 07:35 pm »
Danny,

At THE Show we were able to hear the Emerald Physics open baffle speakers with a single REL sub.  My friend it was good real good.  But it did not even come close to the Super V I heard at Michaels house even with the crossover opportunities he has finally resolved. I may have to make a change at our house.

.... ruh roh...................

Cheeseboy

« Reply #107 on: 5 Jun 2012, 09:45 pm »
Helen is softening on the idea of a different speaker in the house.  Servo bass may solve alot of my room load issues.  What can I say.  It's her living room.  I just share it. 

Of course to make this change I'll have to invest is a nice tube amp too.  We'll see on fathers day.  I'm king for a day. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #108 on: 5 Jun 2012, 09:51 pm »
Helen is softening on the idea of a different speaker in the house.  Servo bass may solve alot of my room load issues.  What can I say.  It's her living room.  I just share it. 

Of course to make this change I'll have to invest is a nice tube amp too.  We'll see on fathers day.  I'm king for a day.
:icon_twisted:  Make sure you get input from Elena before you make the final call... :green:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #109 on: 5 Jun 2012, 10:01 pm »
Michael is bouncing off the walls because he has resolved the crossover issues and guess who is a happy camper as well?

That's right!  The princess of dynamic range. 

tasar

« Reply #110 on: 5 Jun 2012, 10:33 pm »
Tasar, I might just have to make these guys some custom Y adapters with the Platinum caps installed so that it is as easy as plug and play with no adverse effects.

Danny... Put me down for a pair.... I'll always have 2 outs and it seems logical to do this unbalanced at the preamp outs rather than get inside my pretty new SET mono's. Being able to remove is a logical plus should one change speakers or amps down the road. All considered the Super V bass will see me to eternity.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #111 on: 5 Jun 2012, 11:05 pm »
Tasar,

Your Super V build is in my mind the most elegant I've seen.  Very well done sir.

tasar

« Reply #112 on: 6 Jun 2012, 01:07 am »
Cheeseboy your just too kind ....thank you. Truth told I'm a boatbuilder because cabinets are just too easy .... Analogy you ask ? Good boats always have good lines, so it should be with anything to be admired. That said, and hope I'm not vilified for saying , no stone on my cabinet top, an no finishes that rival something made by Mattel or GM. You'd like my new curly maple/cherry breadbox styled SET monoblocks keeping those Vs company. When Danny sends those "LF blockers", I'll take pics of the "surrounding area".

Cheeseboy

« Reply #113 on: 6 Jun 2012, 04:52 pm »
Then I'll put it like this being a salty dog myself.  They are the Knarr of Super V's. 

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #114 on: 6 Jun 2012, 05:46 pm »
Tasar's V's look amazing  :bowdown:

Scott was over last night toting a new CD player from Virtue. We had fun breaking down the sound between the BDP-95 Oppo, the EE Minimax and the Virtue.

Who won?

We did, all 3 sounding great!

Scott liked the Virtue due to its evenhandedness and its separation of instruments, I like the EE due to its dynamics (could be good or bad) and its air in the treble region. I thought though that the virtue got the mid bass nailed. The Oppo was a bit smaller and softer which could work well for overly bright systems. The cables we used - a variety - were an enigma. Don't even want to go there.

So Cheesy, you coming down on FD or Saturday?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #115 on: 6 Jun 2012, 06:40 pm »
I have a bright room. (Has nothing to do with lighting or intellegence) The Oppo might be for me.  Last night was another clean power late night evening of Jazz. 

I'm traveling this weekend and pimping the family on a visit to your place for either Sat or Sunday next weekend.  Helen is traveling so I can't give her the puppy dog eyes to close the deal.  She is back Thurday night.  HMMM maybe I'll cook for her.

I like Tasars build because as he says "clean lines".  The amp is tucked underneath, the wood is showcased and there is nothing better in my mind than grey on wood.   Can't wait to see the amp breadboxes.  Michael it's time to post some beauty shots of your Super V's

Cheeseboy

« Reply #116 on: 6 Jun 2012, 06:56 pm »
Knarr on the bay!