Audiophiles

schumanesq

Re: Audiophiles
« Reply #80 on: 13 Feb 2024, 08:05 pm »
I was one of the early Quadrophonic adopters.  I actually had a 4 channel 8 track player!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #81 on: 13 Feb 2024, 08:10 pm »
When these Quad systems appeared, I swore they were better than Stereo, even though I'd never heard them, just because they had more channels  :duh:

Phil A

« Reply #82 on: 13 Feb 2024, 08:13 pm »
Welcome!  I had surround sound in the 1970s via time delays (https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/equipment/effects/delay#:~:text=A%20delay%20unit%20works%20by,set%20by%20the%20mix%20control.)  The longer the delay (in milliseconds) the bigger the acoustic space it was simulating.  I heard quad recordings but never invested in the hardware.

Mag

« Reply #83 on: 13 Feb 2024, 09:38 pm »
I was one of the early Quadrophonic adopters.  I actually had a 4 channel 8 track player!

We had Quadrophonic Receiver & Headphones, which I thought was quite good. Must have been my brother who bought it because I didn't purchase it, which would then place it around '78 or '79.
   Then I heard my friends new Radio Shack stereo system and I concluded good stereo beats Quad. However when I started investing in audio around year 2000. My girlfriends low cost Surround system sounded better to me than my stereo. So after that I was sold on Surround Sound. With my Bryston Model T speakers & 2 corner speaker for 4 channel stereo. I get a better soundfield than I did with 5.1 Surround, but my room dimensions is also a factor. :smoke:

savak

« Reply #84 on: 14 Feb 2024, 06:59 pm »
Audiophile gear have alway been an expensive hobby, but now the prices are become ridiculous, especally for speakers.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #85 on: 14 Feb 2024, 07:31 pm »
Audiophile gear have alway been an expensive hobby, but now the prices are become ridiculous, especally for speakers.
Very true, the Alpha 15A was $69/each, now $144/each, same driver.
https://usspeaker.com/eminence%2015-1.htm