Quality Stereo Time

Mag

Quality Stereo Time
« on: 21 Feb 2021, 01:05 pm »
   I pride myself on having quality stereo time, maybe not as much as in the past some 20 to 30 hours a week.

My question though, does playing a game on computer piped through the stereo count towards quality stereo time?

When playing Need For Speed- Heat, I enjoy listening to the roar of my car engine as well as other sound effects. It really adds to realism in a game. However realism is not necessarily what you want in a game. Like F1 2020 is a more realistic racing simulation than NFS Heat. But I find NFS Heat way more fun to play, so you know there is a trade off realism vs fun factor. :smoke:

charmerci

Re: Quality Stereo Time
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2021, 03:13 pm »
I'm sorry but I will have to say no. The reason being that a inexpensive monoprice setup with subwoofer would be fine for that because your mind is wrapped up in the video experience and accuracy is secondary.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2021, 04:59 am by charmerci »

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2021, 04:45 pm »
I'm sorry but I wouldn't say no. The reason being that a inexpensive monoprice setup with subwoofer would be fine for that because your mind is wrapped up in the video experience and accuracy is secondary.

I see you used a double negative, so I take that as a 'Yes'. :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2021, 10:20 pm »
No, I did not mean that!  8)

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2021, 03:23 am »
Hey!

Funny, I just watched "Family Guy" tonight and they were making fun of Quaqmire using his fancy Hi-End stereo system just to listen to podcasts  :lol:

Anyway, to answer your question, I have to say no. Personally I can't see myself burning my pricey tubes pumping out sound of video games :icon_lol: But! It is your system, so if you enjoy and having fun playing video game with sound through your big rig stereo system then go for it! Who am I to judge?

Buddy

Digi-G

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2021, 03:29 pm »
I would also say no.

Although I use my system (with surround) to watch movies and enjoy it immensely.  That probably doesn't count either.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2021, 04:08 pm »
I'm sorry but I will have to say no. The reason being that a inexpensive monoprice setup with subwoofer would be fine for that because your mind is wrapped up in the video experience and accuracy is secondary.

What "accuracy?"

MttBsh

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2021, 04:35 pm »
My system is set up so that even my TV, a recent model OLED, plugs into my DAC via optical cable. With the flick of a switch on my preamp TV audio fills my living room with pretty amazing fidelity through twin single driver speakers and subs. Huge improvement over TV speakers. Even the news and ads sound like I’m in the movie theatre. I find it makes watching Netflix or Amazon Prime movies a much more engaging experience. I think it qualifies as Quality Stereo Time.

Craig B

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2021, 05:54 pm »
I guess I don't understand why this is even a question. Is someone standing behind you making value judgments about how you enjoy spending your time?

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2021, 06:32 pm »
You're right on target Mag. Do what you like. Video games sound better on hifi, right?

Music = old and busted
Video = the new hotness

Today's pop music is not worthy of then emotional investment of anybody with half a brain. So they don't.
They invest their minds and hearts in video instead. Games, movies, TV, streaming and utoobtiktokbitchutebrighteonrumbleetcet c

Digi-G

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2021, 07:57 pm »
I guess I don't understand why this is even a question. Is someone standing behind you making value judgments about how you enjoy spending your time?
So you're asking if he's married?   ;)

But I agree - it's kind of an empty question.  Do what you want - it's your time and your system.

Mag

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2021, 09:07 pm »
   The question wasn't about what I do with my time, that's another question. The question is using your main rig for video games or even Home Theatre considered Quality Stereo Time. The consensus on the answer appears to be 'No'.

Many years ago I envisioned what would be an ideal gaming system. I think the Tech is there that gaming has reached a level of performance that I imagined. What would put it over the top is The Wall TV, But that is out of my price range so that ain't going to happen. I am using a 55" 4k TV and the graphics and audio are pretty darn good.

Will be 60 next month and what I should be doing with my time has been on my mind for quite awhile. I seem to be in the same routine daily, there is nothing wrong with that. But with retirement years on the horizon I'm thinking I can't live this lifestyle long term. What else should I do or should be doing? I dunno, but I hope to figure it out soon.

One thing for sure is I can race with the best of the Youngens. I know a thing or two about driving a car after 32 years of professional driving for a career. :smoke:

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2021, 11:52 pm »
The question is using your main rig for video games or even Home Theatre considered Quality Stereo Time.

The answer is a big enthusiastic YES!

Even though charmerci thinks an inexpensive monoprice setup with subwoofer would be fine for home theater, using the stereo with a center speaker and a few surrounds greatly enhances my quality time. So many films use sound as an artistic element that I want to both see and hear the director's intent. Isn't that why we invest in our stereo and hang out on AC? We want to hear everything the artist recorded, intentionally hobbling the film director's vision with in inaccurate soundtrack would drive me crazy and actually diminish my viewing experience and enjoyment.

charmerci - there were a couple of small technical problems when you last heard my system so it was not performing at it's best. A repair and adjustment has fixed it.

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2021, 04:27 am »

Even though charmerci thinks an inexpensive monoprice setup with subwoofer would be fine for home theater,.....

charmerci - there were a couple of small technical problems when you last heard my system so it was not performing at it's best. A repair and adjustment has fixed it.

The first question that I answered was about playing video games, not home theater. I know in playing racing or battle games one gets wrapped up in ways that just decent highs and lows is enough. You don't race or shoot things saying things like, "i wish that exhaust/bomb, etc. would sound more accurate."

Wayne, cool. I'm glad you got it to sound better! Nevertheless, it sounded really good when I heard it.