New EL84 based amp

mr_bill

Re: New EL84 based amp
« Reply #60 on: 21 Feb 2020, 06:27 pm »
Better than the iDSD Micro silver and black both.  Those were both great, beautiful to listen to.  But the Zen DAC has a definitely step up in clarity and punch.  And never ever tips over to any type of cold or analytical sound.  Probably because those Bur Brown chips just sound less analytical than the more common ESS Sabre chips.

The Zen DAC keeps the nice tonality of the earlier iFi designs but adds quite a bit more control and jump factor.  It's really good.  The only downside, IMO, is it only has USB input.  I guess they did that to keep costs down.  But not an issue for most people I would imagine.

Hi Tyson, in your living room system how do you power your Zen Dac?  Are you using a computer as a server to power it or did you buy a 5V power supply?

also, do you use the Zen volume control to drive amp?

xoundmind

« Reply #61 on: 22 Feb 2020, 03:39 pm »
Tyson,

Dumb question: is this amp sufficiently “old school” sounding? What I mean is that companies like PrimaLuna get reviews on having a “new” tube sound; ie leaning towards solid state - and I definitely don’t want that. :)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #62 on: 22 Feb 2020, 08:06 pm »
Hi Tyson, in your living room system how do you power your Zen Dac?  Are you using a computer as a server to power it or did you buy a 5V power supply?

also, do you use the Zen volume control to drive amp?

I take the USB power off the Auralic Aries via an Audioquest carbon USB cable.  The Aries is actually an ultra-clean power source.  If I didn't have the Aries, I would definitely use an external linear 5v power supply for the Zen DAC.  On the Zen DAC I bypass the volume pot and use it as a DAC only.  I control volume from my Roon remote app.  Before I had Roon I was using the Qobuz app.  Both worked great.

Tyson,

Dumb question: is this amp sufficiently “old school” sounding? What I mean is that companies like PrimaLuna get reviews on having a “new” tube sound; ie leaning towards solid state - and I definitely don’t want that. :)

I have a bunch of amps that are SET, from a Type 45 to a 2a3 and 300b.  This EL84 amp fits right in with them, sound wise.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2020, 09:28 pm by Tyson »

xoundmind

« Reply #63 on: 22 Feb 2020, 09:03 pm »
I take the USB power off the Auralic Aries via an Audioquest carbon USB cable.  The Aries is actually an ultra-clean power source.  If I didn't have the Aries, I would definitely use an external linear 5v power supply for the Zen DAC. 

I have a bunch of amps that are SET, from a Type 45 to a 2a3 and 300b.  This EL84 amp fits right in with them, sound wise.

Very interesting. Thank you.

Tyson

« Reply #64 on: 22 Feb 2020, 09:26 pm »
Very interesting. Thank you.

I should point out that the output caps you use and the tubes you use will affect the final sound you get.  I'm using old stock Tung Sols from the 50's and 60's for my tubes. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #65 on: 25 Mar 2020, 10:44 pm »
Roy is finishing up the ST35 amp and shipping mine soon. Here’s some pics with a little larger chassis.

Tyson

« Reply #66 on: 26 Mar 2020, 12:22 am »
Looking good :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #67 on: 26 Mar 2020, 12:45 am »
I should point out that the output caps you use and the tubes you use will affect the final sound you get.  I'm using old stock Tung Sols from the 50's and 60's for my tubes.
I like Tung Sols in my EL84 amp that Gary Dodd built for me...those and Austrian Valvos

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #68 on: 26 Mar 2020, 02:31 am »
Anybody got any recommendations on where and what specific type of el84 tube to look for? Been a while since I’ve been tube shopping and have never looked for el84’s. There’s a local outfit that has quad Tung Sol reissues for about $65 for the set.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #69 on: 26 Mar 2020, 02:37 am »
I like to buy from Andreiy in Russia, he have Reflector 6n14n-EP matched 5000 hours military version at $8 each:
https://www.gstube.com/catalog/?key=el84&submit=Find

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #70 on: 26 Mar 2020, 03:23 am »
I'd be careful with Russian tubes.  Some can have larger pins than the old stock, screwing up the sockets.  And the new Tung Sols are Russian. 
Find out which sockets are in the amp before buying tubes.

tubes4hifi

• Industry Participant
  • "the path of least resistance is thru a vacuum"
    • Tubes4HiFi
« Reply #71 on: 28 Mar 2020, 11:35 pm »
much nicer in the larger chassis, more room and more ventilation for the tubes.

StevenZ

« Reply #72 on: 22 Aug 2020, 09:26 pm »
Been a few months.  Anyone have further listening impressions?  Any drastic changes?  Tyson, do you still rank this up there with your Korneff 45?  Looks like you guys aren't doing the output transformer upgrades; is there a reason why?  I'm really curious about those custom toroidal outputs he offers.

rmlowz

« Reply #73 on: 22 Aug 2020, 10:22 pm »
I like to buy from vivatubes they will answer any questions and have a great selection
rmlowz

Kw6

« Reply #74 on: 14 Nov 2020, 08:33 pm »
Tyson how does the EL84 amp compare to your 300b?

Tyson

« Reply #75 on: 14 Nov 2020, 11:41 pm »
Tyson how does the EL84 amp compare to your 300b?

My 300b sits in the closet since I got the EL84 amp...

Tyson

« Reply #76 on: 15 Nov 2020, 12:43 am »
Also I've been swapping tubes between vintage Tung Sol EL84 and the new Psvane EL34PH.  I have to say the new production Psvanes are every bit as good as the vintage Tung Sols that I have. 

Ah and I should mention that I upgraded my DAC from the Zen DAC to the iDSD Pro DAC w/external linear power supply using R-Core inductors.  The system is really singing now.

BRN

« Reply #77 on: 15 Nov 2020, 12:40 pm »
Tyson,

Do you have the standard OPTs or the upgraded ones that Roy offers with the kit?

Tyson

« Reply #78 on: 15 Nov 2020, 06:02 pm »
Tyson,

Do you have the standard OPTs or the upgraded ones that Roy offers with the kit?

Mine has the two Dyna Z565 OPTs and toroid power transformer upgrade he offers.  If he'd offered the toroidal output transformers when I bought this I would have gotten them.  I have those on a different amp and they are amazing. 

Tyson

« Reply #79 on: 15 Nov 2020, 06:53 pm »
With the smaller case that the prototype used, I had to punch some holes in the top to vent the tubes properly.  A buddy of mine has a metal shop, and this is what we came up with: