The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Early B.

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #600 on: 4 Apr 2019, 11:10 pm »
I'm still blinking and panting...just ordered the replacements-for-the-replacement 10uF tweeter-hi-pass and 15uF (10 + 4.7) MR-lo-pass-shunt caps from Sonic Craft, all Miflex copperfoil/'propylene&paper/oils.. The 10s are almost 4" in diameter!!
htt

You may need some bigger granite tiles for the new crossover.  8)

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #601 on: 5 Apr 2019, 12:01 am »
While it’s really tempting to upgrade parts in my Super-7’s,  I’m in no hurry as they sound crystal clear.  I’ve got around 100 hours or so on them and Tyson was right.  They’re getting better! 

My X-Statiks are ridiculously great for well under $2K.  The Super-7’s easily compete with speakers I’ve heard costing well over $20K!  Danny is the man!  :thumb: 

Oh, and Jay is the man for providing excellent quality cabinets! :green:

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #602 on: 5 Apr 2019, 08:10 am »
You may need some bigger granite tiles for the new crossover.  8)

Maybe.   :)   I'll be doing a full-size layout before the caps arrive.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #603 on: 5 Apr 2019, 12:49 pm »
(I measure with the base of the unit against my chin.).
The best way is to setup a mic stand when you measure your in room response and use the laser on the side of the speaker cabinet to the mic on the stand.  This way it's a fixed point. 

THROWBACK

« Reply #604 on: 5 Apr 2019, 01:23 pm »
Jeffrey Behr
You said: "I agree on the KCPU's 5-star quality; I use them as coupling and frontend-hi-Voltage-supply-bypass caps in both pairs of Atma-Spheres I have.. In fact, the trios installed in the MA-1s are the FIRST cap upgrade I could CLEARLY hear the results of upon power-up..  The 'problem' with these 600VDC caps is their relatively large size--they're larger, for instance than the Teflon-film SoniCap Platinums.."

I too have a pair of MA-1s (old style).
1. Could you tell me the sonic benefits?
2. Where did you get the KCPUs (cost)
3. Any tricks for putting them in?

Thanks,
Chuck 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #605 on: 5 Apr 2019, 01:58 pm »
Jeffrey Behr
You said: "I agree on the KCPU's 5-star quality; I use them as coupling and frontend-hi-Voltage-supply-bypass caps in both pairs of Atma-Spheres I have.. In fact, the trios installed in the MA-1s are the FIRST cap upgrade I could CLEARLY hear the results of upon power-up..  The 'problem' with these 600VDC caps is their relatively large size--they're larger, for instance than the Teflon-film SoniCap Platinums.."

I too have a pair of MA-1s (old style).
1. Could you tell me the sonic benefits?
2. Where did you get the KCPUs (cost)
3. Any tricks for putting them in?

Thanks,
Chuck 

Miflex KPCU caps are here - http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/miflex-kpcu-c-301_453_455

They work just like any other bypass cap - pull out the old cap and put in the new one with the same value. 

You know how much I love the Jupiter copper caps, the Miflix are even better and for half the price. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #606 on: 5 Apr 2019, 06:31 pm »
I couldn't deal with the cost/space requirements of those monster caps so I've gone with the   Soniccap G1's  bypassed withthe  Miflex coppers.
A while back I did some  direct comparisons of  a 12 ga Gortz Alpha Core foil inductor and a  12 awg Jantzen wax / foil inductor.... all I was doing was swapping the single inductor Nothing else.
 I  swapped them out numerous times with lengthy  listening periods   on  each . They  are so similar that  I could not   say I preferred one over the other.   This inductor was  the  low pass component  (direct signal path)  for  a pair of  M165NQ's.   it was paired witha   sonicap g1 / Jupiter copper bypass cap -> shunt.
for  this reason,   the S7 network here will use the   Gortz Alpha core copper foil  inductors 
Will  likely be wiring in  Neotech 16 awg / teflon UPOCC

It would be  cool one day to be able to have a fully upgraded pair with al lthe  "Botique stuff"  and a  pair similar to what  we're  building  and  do some  full speaker  swaps
jay

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #607 on: 5 Apr 2019, 06:55 pm »
I couldn't deal with the cost/space requirements of those monster caps so I've gone with the   Soniccap G1's  bypassed withthe  Miflex coppers.
A while back I did some  direct comparisons of  a 12 ga Gortz Alpha Core foil inductor and a  12 awg Jantzen wax / foil inductor.... all I was doing was swapping the single inductor Nothing else.
 I  swapped them out numerous times with lengthy  listening periods   on  each . They  are so similar that  I could not   say I preferred one over the other.   This inductor was  the  low pass component  (direct signal path)  for  a pair of  M165NQ's.   it was paired witha   sonicap g1 / Jupiter copper bypass cap -> shunt.
for  this reason,   the S7 network here will use the   Gortz Alpha core copper foil  inductors 
Will  likely be wiring in  Neotech 16 awg / teflon UPOCC

It would be  cool one day to be able to have a fully upgraded pair with al lthe  "Botique stuff"  and a  pair similar to what  we're  building  and  do some  full speaker  swaps
jay

That's not the Danny way though.  You want to crossovers that are measured electrically the same, then swap the crossovers that have tube connectors on them. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #608 on: 5 Apr 2019, 07:01 pm »

That's not the Danny way though.  You want to crossovers that are measured electrically the same, then swap the crossovers that have tube connectors on them.

What are talking about?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #609 on: 5 Apr 2019, 07:11 pm »
What are talking about?
What are you talking about?

Danny Richie

« Reply #610 on: 5 Apr 2019, 07:17 pm »
What are you talking about?

You kill me man.

Hey, if you come to LSAF you'll have a good time.

Captainhemo

« Reply #611 on: 5 Apr 2019, 07:20 pm »

:wt:
Always poking  eh ?
Obviously nothing  constructive to saty so why bother ?

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #612 on: 5 Apr 2019, 07:27 pm »

You lost me here.

Jay was talking about comparing two different brands of foil inductors. If you want to know which one sounds better to you, you would want to keep everything else the same and have the only difference be the inductors.

Are we saying the same thing in two different ways?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #613 on: 5 Apr 2019, 07:34 pm »
He is just always a skeptic about anything he can't get his head around. He is probably still trying to figure out that ERS paper we showed him a few years ago.

If he makes it to LSAF then Dave and I will have some fun with him letting him hear some cable swapping and stuff.  :thumb:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #614 on: 5 Apr 2019, 09:30 pm »
Yeah.....he a funny guy, always the best.....until the next best.....and then the next best.... :lol:

Tyson

« Reply #615 on: 5 Apr 2019, 10:20 pm »
Yeah.....he a funny guy, always the best.....until the next best.....and then the next best.... :lol:

I think at this point he doesn't even need to listen to the speakers or the amps - just look at the measurements and you'll end up with the best!!  :lol:

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #616 on: 6 Apr 2019, 12:21 am »
 :|
« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2019, 02:25 pm by Hear Clifford Brown »

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Received the new Miflex copperfoil caps; they sure are BIG!
« Reply #617 on: 10 Apr 2019, 06:33 am »

The pic above includes 10-, 4.7-, 0.68-, 0.33-, and 0.22uF Miflex KPCU copperfoil/'propylene&paper/oil capacitors, all 600VDC rated, and a CD for comparison of sizes.. Weights of the first two are 5 pounds, 15.5 ounces (2.707Kg) and 2 pounds, 14 ounces (1.294Kg).

Each Super-7 crossover will contain two of the 10s, one 4.7, and several other 'normal'-size caps and chokes, all on the 11"wide-by-12"-deep granite tile.  Also received the Mundorf Silver/Gold 18g. wire to use on the MR panels.  Initially I'll use the existing AQ GO-4* speakercable now in use.  Later will make and use double-18g. S/G (for MR) and 23g. Neotec Silver-in-Teflon (for treble) cables to connect to the amps.
More later.   :D

* 15g.-times-two, all-best-copper, DBS-system cable.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #618 on: 10 Apr 2019, 01:17 pm »
 :o
Ok, now I understand why those 10uF caps cost $350.

Tyson

« Reply #619 on: 10 Apr 2019, 07:32 pm »

The pic above includes 10-, 4.7-, 0.68-, 0.33-, and 0.22uF Miflex KPCU copperfoil/'propylene&paper/oil capacitors, all 600VDC rated, and a CD for comparison of sizes.. Weights of the first two are 5 pounds, 15.5 ounces (2.707Kg) and 2 pounds, 14 ounces (1.294Kg).

Each Super-7 crossover will contain two of the 10s, one 4.7, and several other 'normal'-size caps and chokes, all on the 11"wide-by-12"-deep granite tile.  Also received the Mundorf Silver/Gold 18g. wire to use on the MR panels.  Initially I'll use the existing AQ GO-4* speakercable now in use.  Later will make and use double-18g. S/G (for MR) and 23g. Neotec Silver-in-Teflon (for treble) cables to connect to the amps.
More later.   :D

* 15g.-times-two, all-best-copper, DBS-system cable.

It will take about 500 hours for those caps to fully burn in.  But once they do, bliss!