XLS Encore compared to LS9

Skiman

XLS Encore compared to LS9
« on: 18 Mar 2015, 08:58 pm »
In anticipation of adding ceiling mounted surround speakers when I add a Dolby Atmos/DTS X enabled processor to my home theater, I had Ruben of Out of the Woods build 4 GR Research XLS Encore speakers. Originally, I ordered the kits, including no-rez and tube connectors from Danny, and planned to build them myself. After some 'false starts', I realized that they were not going to turn out satisfactorily if I built them, so I had Ruben build them in satin black. Of course, he did an excellent job, and I'm much happier with the results compared to what I could have done myself. Plus he is near me. So after receiving them, I swapped them in place of my LS9s, temporarily mounted on cardboard boxes at approximate ear height. I guess my initial reaction was total shock in how good these 'little' XLS speakers sound!

Here's a shot of the temporary setup;

Folsom

Re: XLS Encore compared to LS9
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2015, 12:45 am »
Did you get the upgraded capacitors?

They're pretty good speakers. I'm not surprised they won the award in that shootout years back.

Skiman

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2015, 02:09 am »
Did you get the upgraded capacitors?

No, didn't think the extra cost was worth it for surround duty. 

Also, since they will have to be mounted rather close to the ceiling, I had them built sealed, i.e. the ports were eliminated.

As shown in the picture, they are in purely stereo setup. My Emotiva XPR-1 monoblocks have a switched inputs, so that the stereo signal chain is an Oppo 105-Dodd Audio tube pre (battery powered)-Monoblocks-main speakers, and is separate from the surround signal path. The processor and other components are in a rack in the back of the room.

I like these so much I will probably get another 4 to replace my side and rear surrounds. Dolby Atmos works best with direct radiating speakers, and my existing Def Tech BPV/X are dipole. One of the processors I'm considering is the upcoming Emotiva XMR-1, which can output up to 16 channels. Quantity discount Ruben? :D

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2015, 04:00 am »
I've often wondered about just how good the Encores sound. Perhaps I'll try a pair one day...

Nice setup!  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2015, 03:39 pm »
I like these so much I will probably get another 4 to replace my side and rear surrounds. Dolby Atmos works best with direct radiating speakers, and my existing Def Tech BPV/X are dipole.

I have never been a fan of the dipole surrounds. They scatter segments of the signal in different directions with accurate representation of the original signal from anywhere in the room.

Consider the wall mounted omni design of the A/V-1RS. They are designed specifically for that application.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2015, 03:46 pm »
I have had Gary Dodd over for the last three weeks and I finally got him back into reasonably good health and back to listening to music again.

He was floored by the big LSX open baffle line sources. They are a level above everything...

But then I set up a pair of the LGK's. And then he was really floored. All of that from those little 3" drivers? That was completely unbelievable. I think he was more impressed with the LGK's.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2015, 04:09 pm »
One of the processors I'm considering is the upcoming Emotiva XMR-1, which can output up to 16 channels. Quantity discount Ruben? :D

Of course! :thumb:

I may be stocking the X-LS Encores as complete units ready to ship. They are REALLY good for the price and I can build and finish them quickly and inexpensively. (approx. $425 pair) I was able to complete Skimans order of (2) pair in a day. From start to ready to play. :thumb:

Ruben

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2015, 04:30 pm »
Danny,
Great to see Gary getting some fun time after all that.

Ruben,
The X-LS Classics and Encores are great speakers.  They are the 21st Century version of the Dynaco A-25, huge sound quality for the price.  Sounds like you will be busy!

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2015, 04:45 pm »
Danny,
Great to see Gary getting some fun time after all that.

+1  :thumb:

Ruben,
The X-LS Classics and Encores are great speakers.  They are the 21st Century version of the Dynaco A-25, huge sound quality for the price.  Sounds like you will be busy!

I really do hope people pick up on just how good these things are. I've built several X-LS Encore enclosures and flat packs, but the first time I ever heard them was when I hooked up one of Skiman's pairs. I was stunned! :o

I WILL be building a set for myself. :green:

Ruben

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2015, 05:20 pm »
Skiman,  I did exactly the same thing  with the last pair of  Encores I built,.  Put them in place of my  OB7's and was pretty shocked to say the least.  Had a buddy over  for a couple beers and we were both   quite stunned  :scratch: The Encores used no-rez and a Vishey Bypass cap on teh low pass  filter, otherwise stock. Amazing little  speakers  :thumb:

Michael,  when you are up here,  I'll   grab the Encores from upstairs and you can have a listen if yo like  . 

-jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2015, 05:34 pm »
I remember being there when Danny demoed the first pair of X-LS Classic speakers.  I was stunned! 

Bought many pairs along the way for family and friends at work.  Have one pair with the full moded crossover and still use them in the upstairs system.  Have the N2X downstairs for the other system. 

Still have one X-LS Encore kit here with the upgraded parts to put in a cabinet one day.   Will have to wait until HAL has more audio funds to do that.  Might be fun to try them with the dspMusik crossover as well!

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2015, 05:42 pm »
I remember being there when Danny demoed the first pair of X-LS Classic speakers.  I was stunned! 

Bought many pairs along the way for family and friends at work.  Have one pair with the full moded crossover and still use them in the upstairs system.  Have the N2X downstairs for the other system. 

Still have one X-LS Encore kit here with the upgraded parts to put in a cabinet one day.   Will have to wait until HAL has more audio funds to do that.  Might be fun to try them with the dspMusik crossover as well!

I'll throw in a pair of finished enclosures for that kit with your sub towers. :thumb: Satin black OK?

Ruben

jcotner

« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2015, 05:46 pm »
I have had Gary Dodd over for the last three weeks and I finally got him back into reasonably good health and back to listening to music again.

He was floored by the big LSX open baffle line sources. They are a level above everything...

But then I set up a pair of the LGK's. And then he was really floored. All of that from those little 3" drivers? That was completely unbelievable. I think he was more impressed with the LGK's.

What did he think of the chip amps?
Or would he be insulted by that.  :wink:

Skiman

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2015, 05:58 pm »
I have never been a fan of the dipole surrounds. They scatter segments of the signal in different directions with accurate representation of the original signal from anywhere in the room.

Consider the wall mounted omni design of the A/V-1RS. They are designed specifically for that application.

I must correct myself, the Def Tech BPV/X is a Bipole (opposing drivers are in phase) and not Dipole (opposing drivers are out of phase).

I did consider the A/V-1RS, but the 'object' based encoding of the new Dolby Atmos/DTS:X system, rather than 'channel' based sytem used by present Dolby True HD/DTS Master audio, performs best if direct radiating speakers are employed. At least according to the information I've gathered.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2015, 06:17 pm »
What did he think of the chip amps?
Or would he be insulted by that.  :wink:

He was surprised by those as well. Neither of us have ever heard a chip amp that sounds this good. They are really clean and have a really low noise floor. It made Gary wonder about using them as the front end to some tubes...

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2015, 06:18 pm »
Hey Skiman,

Off topic, but do you think you may have some time this evening, or tomorrow evening to have a look at this one with me?

Thanks!

Ruben

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 19 Mar 2015, 06:20 pm »
I must correct myself, the Def Tech BPV/X is a Bipole (opposing drivers are in phase) and not Dipole (opposing drivers are out of phase).

I did consider the A/V-1RS, but the 'object' based encoding of the new Dolby Atmos/DTS:X system, rather than 'channel' based sytem used by present Dolby True HD/DTS Master audio, performs best if direct radiating speakers are employed. At least according to the information I've gathered.

The A/V-1RS is still basically a direct radiating speaker. But the sound field is less localized to a box or point on the wall. They also get the speakers up and away from ear level. This is a big bonus for those seated near the wall. I think they'd be idea for this new format.

Skiman

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2015, 06:50 pm »
Hey Skiman,

Off topic, but do you think you may have some time this evening, or tomorrow evening to have a look at this one with me?

Thanks!

Ruben

Sure. It'll be MUCH warmer Friday though :D

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2015, 07:23 pm »
Sure. It'll be MUCH warmer Friday though :D

Friday it is! :hyper:

I'll give you a call when I know what time frame he'll be available to show the bike.

REALLY appreciate it!

Ruben

jcotner

« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2015, 07:47 pm »
He was surprised by those as well. Neither of us have ever heard a chip amp that sounds this good.

Neither have I. Quite surprised by the performance of those little amps.

They are really clean and have a really low noise floor. It made Gary wonder about using them as the front end to some tubes...

That would give him a lot of options for tube input configuration, since they can drive into
low impedances.
He may have a winner with that one.