We definitely need pictures of the vintage gear!

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« on: 14 Jan 2003, 01:35 am »
It must be seen to be appreciated. I would guess most of us have not seen much of the variety of vintage gear out there.

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2003, 04:16 am »
OK, here is a picture of my Marantz 1060 integrated amp. 30wpc. Not quite sure of the build date. It was built about the time Superscope bought Marantz.

Mike

Ferdi

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2003, 10:41 am »
I don't think a picture of my little AU 317 is going to be posted. :D  Great pictures and great equipment guys.

Night Wolf

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2003, 08:32 pm »
wow, that 9090DB is nice, I heard that is the most sought-after Sansui made, I'll post some pictures of my gear soon

Night Wolf

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2003, 09:31 pm »

Kenwood KA-1500 sorry for the bad picture

not bad for a little 20wpc amp (dual caps at 6800uF each)

Sony TA-2650

built very good, 45wpc, only 1 cap, but it is a dual-c design (2 caps in 1, single cap at 10000+10000uF)

Kenwood KR-8010 picture was taken right after I spent 30min. on each 8010 (hour total) cleaning the face. I didn't go crazy this time, and remove the whole face and clean both sides of the glass etc... but I took all the knobs off and went from there

note- this is my upper 8010, used as a power amp, the preamp on this is damaged, and it is missing (well, I have it but it is damaged) the mechanical linkage that goes from the funtion switch to the 2 slidders you see on the right.

Sony ST-3950 tuner, sorry for another bad picture

not bad for a tuner, shares the same design (obviosley smaller) power supply as the TA-2650

while I am at it, I'll just includ some misc. pictures of everything:

legendary "white woofer"

shine baby shine

sand with 100, 150 then 220 sand paper, then put 2 coats of Minwax #224 walnut stain, then 5coats of Minwax super-high gloss polyeurthane to get this finsish (the spekaer was pretty dusty in that picture, and didn\'t reflect as much as I wanted it to, I'll have to get a picture when they are not dusty, and really show the shine)

the upper 8010 has the ultra-rare, optional full wood case, IMO it makes the rec. look alot better

well, that's all the pictures for now. enough?  :mrgreen:

MediaSeth

Used to have this...
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2003, 12:12 am »
These are the photos I took in order to sell it on ebay.  I never did get to try the mono out to a center amp.  It was very musical, but with grainy highs.  The tuner was excellent.

mgalusha

more old stuff...
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2003, 12:59 am »

A better picutre of the marantz 1060.

EV SP-12C woofer. It originally had a whizzer cone. I bought these new in 1979 for a pair of DIY speakers. The speakers were taken out of service about 3 years ago. While not the most accurate they had dynamics... Not sure what SPL they could reach but they were pretty efficient. I had no trouble reaching concert levels with those suckers. :)

Side view of the same driver. Note the cooling fins.  8)

mike

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2003, 07:37 pm »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2003, 07:38 pm »

OK, now I get it. Sorry for the picture quality.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2003, 07:45 pm »

Here is a rack of perfect condition spare tuners from Marantz, Kenwood, JVC, etc. Also a Superscope receiver and few other components not seen in the bottom.

Night Wolf

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2003, 08:15 pm »
Bill......how is the superscope rec.? I persoanly never used one, and I know what they are, but don't know what the scope is used for, maybe you could clear that up?

I heard that Kenwood had very, very good tuners in their rec. and tuners and the Sansui TU-719 (I think that is the model) I heard real good things about that

is that a KA-5500 in the first picture there? looks like it, has a nice wood case too. what kind of table is that? it looks like it says Pioneer, and what type of cart. are you running with that?

Media..... that old AR rec. is onny FM? no AM? that is the first time I saw something like that, especaly being a vintage rec.

MediaSeth

AR Receiver
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2003, 10:14 pm »
The AR Model R is from '69/70?  I suppose they felt it was too good for AM? :)  It's simply an AR Integrated Amp with the tuner in it.  That's how it looks also.  Just imagine it without the tuner part.  I don't think they sold very well at all.  I was told it was because all the fancy knobs and switches of the competitors at the time won out over its minimalist design with fewer features and inputs.  It also has output transformers even though it's fully solid state.  Note the fuse for each speaker and then the general fuse- I never saw that before, either.  Build quality was excellent and the faceplate was nice and thick.
Seth

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2003, 10:27 pm »
Hi NightWolf,
  The rec. was made by SuperScope but does not actually have a "scope" on it as other models do. It is a standard receiver. Their build quality was OK but nothing great.

The Kenwood is a KA6100. I have a list of the components in the thread before the PIC as I messed up on inserting the PIC the first time.

I also have a KA5300 integrated and several Kenwood tuners from the same era.
  Add to that the Dynaco FM-5, Marantz Model 105 and other I have in closets. Dynaco A-25 (originals), Allied, KLH and other speakers also play their part at times.

Night Wolf

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2003, 04:56 am »
Bill, oh sorry, I thought the rec. had a scope on it :)

BTW, what model of vintage KLH spekaers do you have? I have my JBL L100's as my main spekaers, but also have a pair of KLH model 17, not the orignal pair, and pretty rough, but they sound really nice, once I got the L100's I had no se for the 17's, and I still wanted to use them, so I stuck them as the mains in my cheap HT system, not bad, they blend in with the JBL North Ridge series (center and rear) and my cheap sub pretty good. and as long as the grills stay on and you don't look at the sides or top of them (mostly yhe top) they look nice too, but these KLH's are my oldest spekaer, and actualy the oldest anything stereo I own (although not sure when the little Sony table radio or Regency police scanner was made) one of the first acoustic suspension designs by Henery Kloss, 2-way 10" woofer crossed at 1500hz (6 crossed at 1khz!), very simple, but great design (Pink Floyd sounds really good on them)

only thing, my woofers have inverted surrond, I have seen a few others like that, but it is pretty weird

Media.... yeah when I was looking at that, I am like hmmm, that's pretty plain, it looks like a inte. amp and a small tuner thrown in

I persoanly don't care for the real old type of spekaer connections like on that, they are a pain, but it does seem to be built pretty good, lot of fuses, never heard of that design before (then again, my Sony ST-3950 tuner has 5 fuses, and it's just a tuner!)

PL gear head

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2003, 05:47 am »
PL 4000 series 1 preamp

Brad

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2003, 05:49 am »
Nice "vintage" shag carpet, btw..... :)

PL gear head

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2003, 05:52 am »
Sansui TOTL preamp the CA-3000

PL gear head

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2003, 05:59 am »
Sansui SR-929 direct drive TT

PL gear head

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2003, 06:03 am »
Marantz Esotec TT 1000

Hoots

« Reply #19 on: 25 Feb 2003, 02:27 am »
Here is my 1970's Klipsch Cornwall & Heresy 6.1 HT.
You can't see the 1960's Dynaco ST-70 behind the right speaker.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/ht-bond.jpg">