Ronda Rousey KO'd!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Ronda Rousey KO'd!
« on: 15 Nov 2015, 07:31 am »
Wow!  I didn't expect this one.  I didn't get to see the fight, just the highlights.  But Rousey was utterly dominated by Holly Holm from the opening bell.  As a casual fan of MMA and an admirer of Rousey I'm interested to see how she bounces back from the loss.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Re: Ronda Rousey KO'd!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2015, 07:40 am »
How long was the match ?

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2015, 07:44 am »
Really? There's been commercials and stuff, and Ronda looks pretty badass to me... I'm not a fan or anything, but when the best of the best of anything are about I peak an interest. A friend told me about Fedor Emelianenko and I had to check him out, because he's the best MMA guy, and may hold that title for decades.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2015, 08:00 am »
She was KO'd early in the second round by a high kick she probably never even saw.  She was unbalanced after whiffing an attack and was turning to face Holm when she got dropped.  It looks like Holm had a great plan and Rousey had a lousy one.  Holly Holm is probably the best female boxer/striker in history.  And whether by design or circumstance Rousey kept trying to go toe to toe with her.  A bad move it appears!

Fedor Emelianenko was one unbeaten and seemingly unbeatable.  But after dozens of victories he suffered a few defeats and retired.  I think he's coming back or has begun a comeback but his air of invincibility has been deflated.  Still he's one of the best in combat sport history.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2015, 08:13 am »
Ya but when interviewing the guy to finally beat an old guy, he said, "ya today I'm somebody, tomorrow he's still the best MMA fighter in the world" . The real secret is Fader's stress caught up to him. He's BT B and they have higher levels. His exercise regime has no provisions for stress. Oh wait, and he's old.

I thought Ronda would've went straight grapple.

Cro Cop's kicks scare me greatly, btw.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2015, 08:39 am »
No doubt, Fodor was one of the best that lived in the modern era but even he couldn't defeat father time.  He was amazing to watch.  As much as I like Rousey there's something of karma in this one.  Normally she's pretty classy but she acted really "tough" and trash talked, and even refused to touch gloves before the fight.  Holm seems to be a genuinely sweet person, not really deserving of the attitude.  It looks like maybe Ronda bought into the hype that she couldn't be beaten.  But on the right day anyone can be beaten.  Just ask Ali, Tyson or Emelianenko. If you cherry pick your fights like Mayweather you minimize the chances but you still have to show up and put in the work.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2015, 08:41 am »
I noticed the dumb attitude, but I didn't know if it was normal or not for Ronda.

My never answerable question is Bruce Lee. (I'd challenge him to arm wrestling, and I'd win, but fighting? MMA? wow, I dunno)

S1NN3R

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2015, 09:51 am »
Holm out smart Rousey.

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2015, 01:29 pm »
Long time MMA fan here.  I did not catch the fight, but have read about it.

Awesome job by Holly to prepare so well and pull it off.  The rematch should be interesting.  A hungry Rhonda with the experience of losing the belt should prove a great backstory for an interesting battle.

Rhonda likely thought she could hang with the striker till she tired.  Time for a new game plan.  I expect a short rematch with a more traditional arm bar victory for Rhonda.  She won't make the same mistake 2x I figure. 

Amazing story, and a great win for the new champ. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2015, 02:06 pm »
It's been hours and the new champ hasn't called out Floyd yet??!?!?

mav52

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2015, 02:35 pm »
I saw this coming months ago. Her cocky attitude, her getting into Hollow-wood took her mind away from what she does best and she got her butt dropped to the mat like a pancake getting flipped.

Gopher

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2015, 03:49 pm »
Anyone else notice how quickly Dana slipped Holly the belt and disappeared...   Then in the post fights he had the demeanor of someone who'd just buried their dog.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2015, 04:00 pm »
Anyone else notice how quickly Dana slipped Holly the belt and disappeared...   Then in the post fights he had the demeanor of someone who'd just buried their dog.
You can't blame him. After all, Rousey is a huge ATM machine for all MMA

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2015, 04:12 pm »
Didn't get to watch the fight unfortunately, but saw the outcome. I must say, I've never seen a female fighter with such refined, accurate, and powerful striking...and it was obvious that Rousey hasn't either. We're seeing the next evolution in the refinement of female MMA, just like we've seen over the years with the men.

I don't think Rousey went for take downs because she couldn't get inside. Holm kept her away with her footwork and hand speed. It became clear to me that after Rousey took some shots, her thoughts of attempting to get inside for a take-down faded, otherwise, I'm certain she would've done so. That was probably her only advantage vs Holm.

I still like Rousey. Her prefight antics aren't really anything new, though she isn't usually the one to ignite the fire. Emotions run high and if you think you can get into the opponent's head in the prefight, it's all part of the sport. No big deal. She'll be back and she'll be better from the loss. She won't be retiring anytime soon. Honestly, I think the loss is a great thing. We could see Holm vs Rousey 3 & 4, which is a cool thought. Rivalries are great for any sport and no one has been good enough to rival (let alone beat) Rousey until now.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2015, 04:21 pm »
I finally got a look at some of the fight. I thought Holm's foot work was pretty good. When she actually ducked completely out of the way. Leaving Rousey looking a bit confused.
That was excellent.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2015, 04:25 pm »
Is this the first legitimate fighter Rousey has faced? I'm not too familiar with UFC, especially the females but Holm made her look dumb and slow.

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2015, 04:41 pm »
The highlights make it look like that first big shot to the face scrambled Ronda's brains. To me it looks like Ronda let her pumble her face. It's almost like she wasn't protecting her face against a boxer. Maybe it would leave her more open to lower attacks but she'd probably be better off inviting Holly in while she could still think.

RDavidson

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2015, 06:38 pm »
Yeah. When you're looking to make a take down or get inside position, you're vulnerable to getting hit while trying to maneuver your way in. Holm's defense was also her offense and Rousey could never establish her game plan. On the ground, I'm certain Rousey would've dominated. She just couldn't get there. Holm's excellent striking and foot work were too much.

Woodsea

« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2015, 11:17 pm »
I did not see this live, but not researching Holm's I thought Ronda would win.  Seems that this little snippet from sportingnews.com foretold what happened last night.

"Holm is unquestionably the greatest striker Rousey will have faced. At 5-8, she will have a one-inch height advantage over Rousey, she also has a 70-inch reach, four inches longer than Rousey's, meaning she can use her superior striking to keep Rousey from closing the distance and grappling or engage in dirty boxing, where the champion thrives."(Muehlhausen, Aug2015)

That punch right before the kick to the side of the neck was the precursor to her going down.  A good boxer with reach should win and did last night.   I have a feeling that Ms Holm is on steroids though, just by looking at her physique.  But, I could just be talking out of my ass.

Impressive fight.

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2015, 11:33 pm »
Caught the fight this afternoon.

I have watched a lot of Rousey's performances, and she has a history of getting hit hard a few times in fights.  In this one, with Holm's level of striking those that caught here were devastating.

As they say "styles make fights", and in this case the striker was very well prepared for the "wrestler".

Felt to me that Rhonda was not settled ever in the ring.  She was chasing Holm all over the place, and she just got totally outworked on her feet.

The rematch should indeed be excellent.  Rhonda will be way better prepared.  We will see how Holm stands up the next time.

Holly totally earned that belt this time.