OB subwoofer distance to wall

Derwin

OB subwoofer distance to wall
« on: 8 Sep 2018, 09:45 pm »
First, I apologize if this topic has been discussed at length - the search function seems like it is disabled for me.

I had been mulling around with the idea of building a diy servo sub for a while when I came across the OB kit from Rythmik/GR. It seems like it solves some of the hesitations I had about exploring an OB design.

My primary hang up now is wall distance. These subs (I’ll be building two, dual mono) will be in a non dedicated room (ie family room), and can only be placed ~1 ft from a wall. The consensus I hear about OB designs is that this is a no-no, but I wanted to ask the servo OB community specifically what their thoughts were regarding placement of an H or W frame servo OB (likely 2x 12” per sub).

Would some degree of eq, toe-in, or this particular sub’s design strengths itself help ameliorate the OB’s difficulties with near wall location.

If it’s at all relevant, my primary goals for these subs are for top-notch music reproduction.  They will be joining a pair of mid-fi towers with ribbon tweeters, but if possible I’d like them to help augment any bulls my 18” dedicated HT sub can’t fill, but that is heavily a secondary concern.

adminRH

• Admin
Re: OB subwoofer distance to wall
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2018, 05:15 am »
Derwin, with 1 post under your belt, now you can use the forum search function.

Welcome to AudioCircle!!

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2018, 12:30 pm »
Distance should be at least 2 feet from all walls, but even if you can't get that distance, build them anyway. They'll sound superior to any box sub, even if they're crammed in a corner. The other option is to pull the subs from the wall during critical listening, then put them out of the way when you're done. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2018, 02:47 pm »
If you can only get the subs 1 foot from the wall I’d recommend the sealed version of the GR/Rythmik servo sub. That’s what I use in my living room where I can’t get the sub off the wall. I use a dual H frame upstairs where I have the room to pull the speakers out.

While not OB the sealed version is still an exceptional sub for both music and movies.