Spatial M3 Triode Master

Goosepond

• Virna!
Re: Spatial M3 Triode Master
« Reply #40 on: 25 May 2017, 08:50 pm »
FYI, it cost $240 for Fedex ground from Shreveport to Utah.  So $1535 total for my upgrade.  I have been using a Speltz autoformer to mate my 16 ohm amp output to the 4 ohm speakers, so the 16 ohm factor was not crucial to me.  But the fact that this makes the speaker a true dipole through all frequencies has me excited and is the reason the upgrade is worth it (hopefully) to me.

Hi,

I'm in Louisiana too. I've got the M3 Turbo's. I really like them and often wondered what the Turbo S would sound like. So now I am considering the Triode Master upgrade. Did Clayton give you an idea of how long it would take?

Thanks,

Gene

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #41 on: 26 May 2017, 03:58 am »
No, but I imagine a couple of weeks.  Where in this great state (?) are you located?

JackD

« Reply #42 on: 26 May 2017, 04:45 am »
I think a couple of weeks is wishful thinking which is why I am waiting until later in the Summer to send mine in.  He still has to get past the X-1 introduction.

jseymour

« Reply #43 on: 9 Jun 2017, 12:03 am »
Remember to add in shipping times.  My was 5 working days each way so that adds 2 weeks.  I have had my upgraded M3s back for a little over a week and there is a little break in time (new driver and crossover/caps).  I am experiencing a more refined upper frequency and deeper soundstage.  My analogy would be it's like replacing your current production tubes with some good NOS tubes.  I also detect the low end being ever slightly better.  It's either the new crossover (better components) and/or the lower crossover freq. making life easier on the woofers.

My summary is I am a very happy customer and it is a pleasure to do business with Clayton Shaw.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #44 on: 9 Jun 2017, 12:58 am »
What was the total time yours were out of your house?  I will never complain about the turnaround, but I gotta say I already miss my mine and am tired of listening to the DIY speakers using 3" drivers that I am listening to until mine come home to where they belong.  You don't miss your water...etc. 

jseymour

« Reply #45 on: 9 Jun 2017, 02:08 am »
It was a month.  One of the longest months of my life.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #46 on: 9 Jun 2017, 06:51 pm »
Glynn's Triode Masters shipped today  :)

Clayton

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #47 on: 9 Jun 2017, 06:59 pm »
Ooooh!   Ooooh-ooooh!!!

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #48 on: 19 Jun 2017, 05:35 pm »
OK, I have had them back for 5 days - here is my impression. Before getting these upgraded, I was running the speaker cables through  Speltz autoformers to match the 4 ohm speakers to my 16 ohm amp.  Those are out of the picture.  I don't know if the Triode Masters (love that name) will improve with more breaking in, but they are so good as is that will only be a bonus.  As mentioned by another AC member, the treble is better and for some reason, so is the bass.  When I used my "powerhouse" amp (30 tube watts) there was little need for a sub on most recordings.  I can mute my 2 GR Research dual 12" subs remotely, so it was easy to do this comparison.  With my 15 watt Shindo  Montille there wasn't quite the deep bass, but this is not an issue with my subs perking along.  The sound is gorgeous.  It is impossible to quantify, but the biggest improvement is a sense of, for lack of a better word, an organic sound to it all.  It just seems to be more effortless and natural (but will never sound like live music, no system does).  I have sat mesmerized by the beauty of the sound.  There is depth I never had before - probably a result of the rear-firing driver.  And it also seems to be more efficient - I have a 2A3 amp being made that I hope will drive them.  That's about it - I am not a great review writer.  Overall, a bigger improvement than I was hoping for and most highly recommended.

badaxe73

« Reply #49 on: 27 Jun 2017, 09:58 am »
Does any who upgraded from the M3TS to the triode master have any opinions or reviews for what it did to the sound of the speakers.
I have the M3TS I love the sound. Does it improve on the sound highs mids lows or does it just add a rear firing speaker to give deeper sound stage?

jseymour

« Reply #50 on: 28 Jun 2017, 04:14 pm »
I am surprised that only Glynnw and myself have commented on the M3 Triode Master upgrade.  I am hoping that we will see comments from any owners of the M3TM, upgrade or new owners.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #51 on: 28 Jun 2017, 05:40 pm »
Obviously I don't realize what the M3TM upgrade is all about. But from those last posts, it sounds like there is an additional rear firing speaker added??? I'm trying to visualize how this is done. Any pics, anyone?

I have the M3T's (non Turbos) which I really like but am intrigued by this upgrade.

Thanks,

Gene

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #52 on: 28 Jun 2017, 05:44 pm »
Yup, a small rear firing driver on the back of the treble unit.  Probably hard to see in pictures since it is black.   Back in black, eh   :duh:

Spatial Audio

« Reply #53 on: 28 Jun 2017, 05:51 pm »
Yup, a small rear firing driver on the back of the treble unit.  Probably hard to see in pictures since it is black.   Back in black, eh   :duh:

Just to clarify - The Triode Master version of the M3 incorporates a very high performance compression driver with an open back design, so it operates in dipolar mode. There is not a separate tweeter firing to the rear.

Clayton

Wind Chaser

« Reply #54 on: 28 Jun 2017, 07:39 pm »
Are the 4 woofers the same as in the M3TS?

jseymour

« Reply #55 on: 28 Jun 2017, 09:30 pm »
The woofers are the same, but the bass seems slightly better than the M3TS.  My guess is due to some combination of a better crossover and a lower crossover point.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #56 on: 28 Jun 2017, 11:42 pm »
...the bass seems slightly better than the M3TS.

"Seems" and "slightly better" is rather inconclusive, especially since the woofers are identical.

jseymour

« Reply #57 on: 29 Jun 2017, 12:10 am »
The bass improvement is the least of the improvements.  But I do hear it.  I just haven't articulated it properly.  In comparison to the M3TS, the bass is a little more detailed. It's not stronger/punchier.  The large improvement of the crossover and the lowering of the crossover point is going to change the sound with the same woofers.

For the overall sound, again I use the word refined, Glynnw used organic.  The striking difference is the mid/upper frequencies.  So how does one describe that there is more detail, yet there is a greater musicality?  As a generalization, detail is more analytic and increased musicality is usually a smoother sound.  They often counter each other.  Clayton increased both.

JackD

« Reply #58 on: 29 Jun 2017, 12:45 am »
In addition to the changes in the crossover parts along with lowering the crossover point the woofer wiring has been changed from Parallel to Series thus changing the impedance and lightening the load on the amp.  All of these changes combined would have some effect on the response from the woofers even though they are the same.  My Turbo S's will be going back after the 4th for the upgrade. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #59 on: 29 Jun 2017, 01:28 am »
And yet I still remain very skeptical to any claim of a change in bass.... 
From what I've seen, that peak at 30Hz is pretty typical of 15" Eminence drivers.