Sensation Quirks

dboulet

Re: Sensation Quirks
« Reply #60 on: 8 Oct 2010, 05:16 am »
Getting back to the original topic—I just replaced the tube in my buffer with a GE 5751, and the volume knob "rustling sound" is practically gone!

vfreeman13

« Reply #61 on: 12 Oct 2010, 04:47 pm »
For others who may have large amounts of hiss, I have noticed that the hiss is dramatically increased using the JT power supply.  I'm sure this is directly related to increased gain/watts.  So if you don't need the power unplug the JT.

Parkfly

« Reply #62 on: 31 Oct 2010, 03:48 am »
Hi gang,

If you are getting the rustling sound, try this:

With the unit off, rotate the volume knob back and forth many times... rustling sound greatly
diminished or gone entirely.

This is just oxidation build up in the potentiometer which can be heard with a very high impedance
tube buffer. Rotating the knob, wipes the contacts free of oxidation.

Hope this helps.

Parkfly

dba

• demand better audio
    • Demand Better Audio
« Reply #63 on: 31 Oct 2010, 11:33 am »
It does! Good call Parkfly - simple problem and simple solution, nice :thumb:

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #64 on: 31 Oct 2010, 04:03 pm »
Parkfly, you're hired! 

OzarkTom

« Reply #65 on: 3 Nov 2010, 03:58 am »
Thanks Parkfly, that worked great here also.

I have had ny system off for about 7 weeks, and the rustling noise was at an all time high when I turned it on tonight. Tried Parkfly's trick for about 15 seconds, and now no noise at all. Wow!

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #66 on: 3 Nov 2010, 04:12 am »
Hissing not.  :duh:
My system is on right now and all I hear is killer cutting edge master guitar bravado from Rodrigo and Gabriela  Live in Japan.
Not sure why we would want to intently listen to our systems playing very slight background noise ..but when the music comes out of the speakers it is absolutely Sensational.  8)
Personally I never listen to my system without music and really don't think about what it is doing when I am not listening..and just have to gush.. this Virtue stuff is the real deal and the the absolute best value on the planet and I have a bunch of it. We can accept what it does well and smile at our big fat bank accounts knowing we are smarter than the average bird for being so value savvy.
Best
Tom

momini1

« Reply #67 on: 3 Nov 2010, 01:16 pm »
Another thumb's up for Parkfly's suggestion. I was hearing hiss/scratch whenever I turned the volume knob (the system had been off for 4 or 5 days), but 20 seconds or so of vigourous knob turning took care of it.