How to connect iPhone 6 to Fiio E11?

BobC

How to connect iPhone 6 to Fiio E11?
« on: 18 Jun 2015, 07:54 pm »
Hi folks.  I use to use an Audioquest Golden Gate 30 pin to 3.5mm stereo connector cable between my iPhone 4s and my Fiio E11 headphone amp.  Recently I upgraded to iPhone 6, which of course has the Lightning connector.

I can't seem to find a Lightning to 3.5mm stereo cable.  Any suggestions?

Am I forced to insert a Lightning to 30 pin adapter?  Or go Lightning to USB + USB to Stereo combo? 

Or I guess I could use a simple AUX cable from the iPhone headphone out into the amp.  But this would engage the amp / volume control from the iPhone which I was trying to avoid (athough I admit I don't know why, really)

Any suggestions?

Bob

GentleBender

Re: How to connect iPhone 6 to Fiio E11?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2015, 08:07 pm »
Why not use an Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapter? http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-30-Pin-Adapter-0-2M/dp/B0097BEG08/ref=pd_cp_107_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0S0SXW588DVN284E2XB9

Apple also makes one without the cord, but I could not find one that wasn't a knock off on Amazon.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2015, 08:09 pm »
All the info I have seen around using a DAC with a lightning based ios device always includes the added joy of the 30 pin to lightning connector and the LOD you currently use.  I don't think a lightning based LOD exists.

My Zen headamp is designed to connect to the 1/8th output of my 4th generation iTouch, but I cannot bring myself to have that volume control in the path either.  I use an LOD into the Zen. 

I have resisted using my iPhone 5s for the very reasons you are going through now!

BobC

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2015, 08:14 pm »
Why not use an Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapter? http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-30-Pin-Adapter-0-2M/dp/B0097BEG08/ref=pd_cp_107_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0S0SXW588DVN284E2XB9

Apple also makes one without the cord, but I could not find one that wasn't a knock off on Amazon.

Yeah, as I said...the adapter is an option, but just one more piece I need to carry around.  I'd rather have a single cable if possible.  I don't understand why it is not offered.

GentleBender

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2015, 08:19 pm »
They may have too much stock of the 30-pin to sell first. Not saying that is the reason, but if they released it right before Apple switched, it could be. They may not have a ton of staff to dedicate to figuring out the new Lightning adapter.  :?

BobC

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2015, 08:24 pm »
All the info I have seen around using a DAC with a lightning based ios device always includes the added joy of the 30 pin to lightning connector and the LOD you currently use.  I don't think a lightning based LOD exists.

My Zen headamp is designed to connect to the 1/8th output of my 4th generation iTouch, but I cannot bring myself to have that volume control in the path either.  I use an LOD into the Zen. 

I have resisted using my iPhone 5s for the very reasons you are going through now!

Well the Fiio e11 is just an amp, with a 3.5mm stereo in and a 3.5mm stereo out.  If it was a DAC, I would think I could just use a Lighting to USB cable.  The Oppo looks nice, but $300!

BobC

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2015, 08:28 pm »
So can someone explain if there is a real downside to just using the AUX cable?

I would think that this would introduce any noise from the iPhone amp and volume control...but is this really a big deal?

Seems to me that an arrangement like this may lessen the power consumption from the iPhone, but not greatly.  And if this is the case, then why even fool with the amp?!?

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2015, 08:54 pm »
The issue would be "double" amping the signal.

I don't use my transportable rig (mobile rig is iPhone 5s straight to Westone iems) for serious listening.  I use it for listening via headphones when I otherwise could not use my speakers.  That said, I still want the best sound I can get, so I use the transportable amp.

So, I would be fine with running a 1/8th to the amp.  I use the LOD since I already own it.

If the iTouch dies, and I swap to using my iPhone 5s with my Zen, I will indeed use a 1/8th to 1/8th to provide the signal.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2015, 12:22 pm »
Hi All,

Is using the lightning out of an iPhone the Holy Grail of audio?  From what I have read on "head-fi.org"(search for "camera kit" to find it says Dan Clark of Mr. Speakers) connecting the iPhone(Mine is a 5 and your 6 may behave differently I am afraid.) via its lightning connector to usb can be an challenge depending on the amount of power that the receiving amp/dac requires.  I know of no lightning to 3.5 plug connectors at this time.  Can you make one?  The AUX out works.  But as you point out there is a trade off in simplicity of circuit.  There are Apple approved units like the new Hifi Skyn by Centrance that use the lightning connector allowing optimum music output and per reviewers, do sound good. There are other Apple approved amp/dacs out there.  BTW, I have a Schiit Wyrd.  It works for home use with the dacs that I have.  Not portable though.  Listening with your own ears will tell you if there is a difference between the two outputs really.  YMMV.  Good luck with your search.

Best Regards.

Blu99Zoomer

BobC

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2015, 01:52 pm »
Sorry, I'm missing the connection to the Schiit Wyrd.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2015, 10:54 pm »
Hi BobC,

Your original question referred to using the iPhone as a portable music source into your outboard dac/amp.  Some folks on head-fi.org have had success putting a powered usb hub in the chain between an iPhone and an outboard dac in home setups.  I have even seen someone suggest that a powered hub with a battery connected to the hub will allow the portable use.   In searching for a work around for my own home setup, I have found that the Schiit Wyrd, when used in the iPhone>CCK>usb cable>Wyrd>usb cable>dac setup allows using the iPhone as a music source when without the Wyrd the iPhone will show a warning that my dac draws too much power.  This all applies to using the iPhone lightning connector instead of the aux out.
Does that answer the question?

Best,

Blu99Zoomer

Crimson

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2015, 03:34 am »
My portable rig is an iPhone streaming Tidal (HiFi) through a Centrance HiFi M8 via Lightning-USB feeding cans that vary depending on the weather.  :D

megabigeye

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2015, 05:38 pm »
Hi folks.  I use to use an Audioquest Golden Gate 30 pin to 3.5mm stereo connector cable between my iPhone 4s and my Fiio E11 headphone amp.  Recently I upgraded to iPhone 6, which of course has the Lightning connector.

I can't seem to find a Lightning to 3.5mm stereo cable.  Any suggestions?

Am I forced to insert a Lightning to 30 pin adapter?  Or go Lightning to USB + USB to Stereo combo? 

Or I guess I could use a simple AUX cable from the iPhone headphone out into the amp.  But this would engage the amp / volume control from the iPhone which I was trying to avoid (athough I admit I don't know why, really)

Any suggestions?

Bob
The Lightning socket on your iPhone does not output any analog signal, hence no Lightning-to-3.5mm adapters.  The Apple-branded Lightning-to-30 pin adapter does include a DAC chip (Wolfson WM8533, if that means anything to you), and, so far as I know, is the only one with such a feature.  The other day I saw somebody on the bus using a Lighting-30 pin adapter to his amp and it looked like a bit of a kludge, to be honest.

Here's what I would do: test your iPhone 6 with your headphones plugged directly in.  A lot of people say it's one of the better sounding smartphones.  If it sounds decent but you still want to use your amp, then buy a cheap 3.5-to-3.5 cable like the Fiio L16 or L17.  If it doesn't work, you're only out a few bucks; if it does work, you can upgrade to a fancier cable later if you want.
I used to use an iPod gen. 5.5 with a Fiio E11.  I will admit that it sounded significantly better using the LOD than it did using a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable.

BobC

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2015, 02:54 pm »
Hi BobC,

Your original question referred to using the iPhone as a portable music source into your outboard dac/amp.  Some folks on head-fi.org have had success putting a powered usb hub in the chain between an iPhone and an outboard dac in home setups.  I have even seen someone suggest that a powered hub with a battery connected to the hub will allow the portable use.   In searching for a work around for my own home setup, I have found that the Schiit Wyrd, when used in the iPhone>CCK>usb cable>Wyrd>usb cable>dac setup allows using the iPhone as a music source when without the Wyrd the iPhone will show a warning that my dac draws too much power.  This all applies to using the iPhone lightning connector instead of the aux out.
Does that answer the question?

Best,

Blu99Zoomer

ok.  Yes, thank you.