NX-Otica finally done

Bassaholic

NX-Otica finally done
« on: 20 Jun 2020, 08:37 am »
My NX Oticas are finally done! Now just have to paint the subs. Thanks to everyone and Danny for putting up with my questions! I love these speakers and will for a long time.

Rock Ball

Re: NX-Otica finally done
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2020, 11:07 am »
Very nice!

That is an interesting looking room.  I bet the sound is great.

What do you have the speakers sitting on?

maty

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2020, 11:14 am »
Better after adding [&size=huge]
Code: [Select]
https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=210642&size=huge

All that just to listen to Beyoncé?  :D

AlexH

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2020, 12:12 pm »
Congrats. You should show us a pic of your face. I bet you are smiling. 8)

zenfishbike

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2020, 12:31 pm »
Sweet! Is that midnight blue automotive paint? That's what I'm considering. Did you paint the sides the same or black? If black, what type did you use there and how did you pull it off? Masking after it was built?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2020, 01:09 pm »
Wow! Very nice setup indeed! Would love to hear it. I bet that is one powerful system. I see lots of PS Audio gear and Mapleshade platforms, I use them under most of my components.

Nice to have a dedicated listening room. Makes all the difference.

How much time do you have on the speakers and subs? I'm sure they sound great right off the bat but will get smoother sounding as they burn in. I recently built the NX Studio Monitors so I have an idea of how they sound. That tweeter mid combo is to die for as I imagine the bass from the triple OB subs is as well.

Great job seriously!  :thumb:

Bassaholic

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2020, 01:11 pm »
They are on Isoacoustics Gaia IIs, 5ft from front wall. Any tips on positioning would be welcome but sounding good so far-

Bassaholic

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2020, 01:16 pm »
Just a few hours- should I run them without subs during break in? They are xover  at 70Hz currently. Also, what do you guys recommend for cleaning/care of these drivers? Got some dust already. Any treatment for the surrounds?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2020, 01:35 pm »
Speaker position looks pretty good. The thing that jumps out to me is the dormer window cubby space. Ideally the room should be symmetrical behind the speakers. The reflected back wave sound will be different for each speaker and that will effect imaging I would think. But most rooms have their design issues I know mine does. However open baffle are the best choice for problem rooms as they tend to interact the least with the room.

Just do lots of experimenting with positioning including the seating position. Is it away from the back wall? That helps as well with reflected energy bouncing off the wall next to your ears. I find that when setting up speakers for the first time in a room that it is easier to leave the feet or spikes off so you can move them around easier. Once you find the best position then put them back on.

As for cleaning I just use a Swiffer duster.

It may help break in the NX Otica woofers faster without the subs but I wouldn't worry about that. Do play with the crossover settings once they have broken in for a couple hundred hours but in the mean time just sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.  :D   
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2020, 02:48 pm by Sonicjoy »

Killian Smith

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2020, 01:50 pm »
Congrats! The blue finish is super nice! What did you do to paint them?

Bassaholic

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2020, 02:41 pm »
As far as paint, I sealed them with Behlen vinyl sealer and sanding in between. The blue is metallic spray paint followed by several clear coats. The sides are black Duratex slightly thinned and rolled with a white foam roller. I am no paint expert but they came out OK. Saved a lot of dough vs auto shop job. I painted all before assembly by carefully taping off any areas to be glued.

Jaytor

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2020, 04:49 pm »
Nice job. I' love the blue finish.

You might try some diffusors behind the speakers. I found they helped with mine. Also bass traps in the corners if you are getting any boominess.

I ended up with mine about 7' into the room (measuring from the front of the baffle to the front wall), but that's obviously very room dependent and I had room to play with. It's hard to tell from your photo how far out yours are.

I also have the Gaia II footers. I ended up increasing the height of the rears just a bit to tilt the speakers forward. My couch is on the low side, so this improved the balance just a bit (to my ears). Worth playing around with a bit to see what works best for you.

I set the toe-in so that the are aimed just to the outside of my shoulders when in the primary position. It looks like you've got yours pretty close to this now.

Bassaholic

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2020, 06:34 pm »
The Pi Audio Mr T diffusers are on my list.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2020, 07:36 pm »
The Pi Audio Mr T diffusers are on my list.

Good choice  :thumb:

Bassaholic

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2020, 09:16 pm »
Off the bat- these speakers are brutally HONEST. If the recording/production is poor they will show all deficiencies. But good recordings- are glorious! Excellent design, Danny.

VinceT

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2020, 01:21 pm »
I like the 22.5 degree angles on the bases and tops of the subs. Very cool!

Bassaholic

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jun 2020, 02:25 pm »
I'm afraid it is the camera that makes them look that way- but thanks.
As far as the Pi Audio foam diffusor panels- what did you guys do to mount them? A mobile frame or wall mount? What did you use to mount them?
Pics would be helpful if you made a frame- thanks in advance.

Bassaholic

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2020, 09:56 pm »
Bump

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2020, 02:05 am »
Man, those look good.

mkrawcz

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2020, 03:36 pm »
Nice setup! Nx-Oticas paired with PS Audio BHK gear is sublime.