Vintage Wins Out , Step Back Big Boys . .

2bigears

Vintage Wins Out , Step Back Big Boys . .
« on: 23 Jun 2014, 09:33 pm »
 :D. Well, I just sent payment on a twenty-seven year old piece of gear. It beat out all the big brand names
            and to say I now what I'm doing would be to tell a bold face lie. A 20 thousand dollar amp was in
               the running along with the newer designed 10 thousand dollar pieces made by big business.
                 I'm hoping all turns out as it was some good beer money spent.  But I believe in the past and I
                   believe in the old iron. I will push aside 1.1kW's of SS amp and slip in this 100W unit burning
                     tubes,, the difference will be absolute new ground to me. I stand very unsure of the results.
                       But yet excited ,, it's a great hobby this audio is, will know in about 7 days ,,let those tubes
                         shine bright and proud !  :D :D

rpf

Re: Vintage Wins Out , Step Back Big Boys . .
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2014, 10:22 pm »
Well, what?

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2014, 02:51 am »
 :D.  Ohhh, I'm sorry .. Too dramatic I think.  Ha.  No, I went and pulled the trigger on an old RM-9 . I am sure hoping it turns out as fine as the scriptures written on it.  Anyway,, back to the blessed tubes !   :D

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2014, 05:50 am »
 :D.  Paul had 6 guys standing in line for this amp. Why is that ?  :D

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2014, 02:03 pm »
:D.  Paul had 6 guys standing in line for this amp. Why is that ?  :D

Dang!  Guess I sold my RM9 mk2 too cheeeeep at $1500!!       :o      :duh:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2014, 01:05 am »
Let us know when it shows up.
I'm using old VTLs and I've yet to hear anything that would make me want to sell them.

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2014, 03:44 am »
 :D   Old Iron wins out.  We will see if I made the right choice in six days or so. I'm looking forward.
I think tubes will make the speakers sing a little sweeter.  I could be wrong.  :D.
What model VTL and how old ?  Is it they built them better, cared more ?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2014, 12:21 am »
300 DeLuxes and MB250s so they're pretty darned old.  Maybe 1990s and early 2000s?
I'm sure that their current offerings sound great but they're way out of my price range.
I know that there's a lot of tube life/performance monitoring going on with the current designs but overall, have things progressed enough sonically to justify the prices?
Unless I hit the lottery I'll probably never know.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2014, 03:13 am »
Let us know when it shows up.
I'm using old VTLs and I've yet to hear anything that would make me want to sell them.

I think the first CES David and Luke displayed at was a shared room with the late Brian Cheney of VMPS.  Brian and I purchased a bunch of their stuff made in jolly England at that time, Deluxe Preamp, Standard Preamp, Deluxe 100 mono, Compact 100 mono (John Curl tested the latter at low-mid-60W range, but VTL's spec is in line with companies like ARC, etc).

My wife missed the Compact 100s for decades, and wished I never sold them.  Frankly, I should have kept them.  Wouldn't mind a pair right now.  The Standard Preamp was the best sounding of the two, and one of the best preamp I heard, except for some 60 Hz noise. 

If funds are not available to purchase, do not, I repeat, do not accidentally or inadvertently audition $10k/pr new Electra-Fidelity A3 500 tube mono bloc, 10-12W but plays like 100W (really, not exaggerating).  They may be the best amps I ever heard, and I doubt any VTL real or imagined could touch them.  I'm trying to justify the stereo version for about $6500, but c'mon man, that's almost as much as one tire for a Humvee!

E-F is designed and made by Jack Elliano, who has been winding his own transformers for about forty years.   

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2014, 07:04 am »
 :D.  Is old iron and old tech, old world craft better ? Will find out. $ is moving as a guideline I must think. In 6 days I will plug in an old old amp. We will see. Beat out a SS 100 pound two box amp to a 1box creation developed buy US techno. It's a 2000 dollar scientific  experiment. Hopeful ,

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2014, 11:01 am »
Did it show up?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs