Synchro-Mesh reclocker reviews

steve in jersey

Re: Synchro-Mesh reclocker reviews
« Reply #80 on: 6 Jan 2013, 11:32 pm »
If you order/buy a Black Cat Cable Silverstar75 digital coaxial you are covered with whatever termination you decide to use (BNC or RCA) on either end of the cable. Both ends are terminated with BNC connectors with wide band RCA adaptors already attached .

I believe this is the same cable (2 of them) that Six Moons used for their review of the SM. I've been using 1 BNC>BNC for the front leg (source to SM) of my setup & like it . ( I "lost my mind" & ordered a High Fidelity Cables CT-1 digital interconnect for my SM to DAC link along w/ another regular HFC CT-1 interconnect pair for my DAC to my Burson Soloist. I ordered them on a friend's (whose tastes mirror mine) very strong recommendation.

audioengr

« Reply #81 on: 7 Jan 2013, 01:51 am »
Seems a good idea to me.

Question: Will ordering a Coaxial with factory terminated BNC (source) to RCA (Load) be in any way advantage to just going ahead and having just RCA to RCA Coaxial? (Sound Quality wise I mean). Reason I ask is because in a future I wanna upgrade from the SM to the Off Ramp. And Off Ramp having a BNC out seems like a good idea buying such a cable now. I know the Off-Ramp has a BNC to RCA adapter, but i guess i'm not a fan of adapters.

Thanks

Watthead

Using a BNC on the output of either SM or OR5 is a good idea.  If you can get a good cable with this termination, I recommend it.

Steve N.

Watthead

« Reply #82 on: 7 Jan 2013, 04:57 pm »
Thanks Guys

JBNY

« Reply #83 on: 8 Jan 2013, 09:38 pm »
I am ordering for another build of SM and I'm thinking about removing the BNC input jack.

Customers have complained that there is not enough room to fit 2 Toslink connectors.  I could spread the connectors out if the input BNC jack were removed.

Any issues?

Steve N.

I just received mine today and the toslinks are really tight. Not having the BNC on the input would be fine I think.

-Joe

audioengr

« Reply #84 on: 9 Jan 2013, 07:24 pm »
I just received mine today and the toslinks are really tight. Not having the BNC on the input would be fine I think.

-Joe

I tried my cheap toslink plastic next to my good glass toslink  Fits fine.  The problem with making this change is that I have to take new pro photos of the SM as well as updating the website and user manual.  A lot of work and expense.  I'll pass.

Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #85 on: 10 Jan 2013, 10:37 pm »
Bought some new digital S/PDIF cables and thought I'd share my thoughts...

I got 2 cables. One Oyaide DR-510 (RCA to RCA) and one Oyaide DB-510 (BNC to BNC).

I've been playing them for about a week now, and I must say, they sound very damn good. They beat out my previous (copper 75 ohm types) by quite a wide margin. What I got was the same excitement that my previous cables had, more detail yet smoother, and I lost a tiny bit of glare I had while using the copper digital cables. Also realized better flow and a quieter background. Very happy with these and the price is absolutely right.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2019, 03:36 am by paul79 »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #86 on: 10 Jan 2013, 11:01 pm »
Steve, I have an Offramp 3 for my main music system, and I was wondering, if I have limited funds, should I upgrade the 3, or keep the 3 as it is and put a SM reclocker in-line with it instead?  My DAC resamples everything to 24/96, so my thought is that I'd rather have the SM do the resampling vs the DAC doing it.  On the other hand, better USB-SPDIF conversion would also be nice.

audioengr

« Reply #87 on: 11 Jan 2013, 01:19 am »
Steve, I have an Offramp 3 for my main music system, and I was wondering, if I have limited funds, should I upgrade the 3, or keep the 3 as it is and put a SM reclocker in-line with it instead?  My DAC resamples everything to 24/96, so my thought is that I'd rather have the SM do the resampling vs the DAC doing it.  On the other hand, better USB-SPDIF conversion would also be nice.

Tyson - The OR4 and 5 are a big step-up from the OR3.  In order to achieve this level of performance with SM you would have to buy an expensive S/PDIF coax cable 1.5m long and a Paul Hynes SR12-3 supply.  Outlay at least $1500.

The OR5 with S/PDIF Hynes reg is killer good at $1550.00 and you get 176.4 and 196 capability.
Steve N.

kzhtoo

« Reply #88 on: 11 Jan 2013, 08:52 pm »
Tyson - The OR4 and 5 are a big step-up from the OR3.  In order to achieve this level of performance with SM you would have to buy an expensive S/PDIF coax cable 1.5m long and a Paul Hynes SR12-3 supply.  Outlay at least $1500.

The OR5 with S/PDIF Hynes reg is killer good at $1550.00 and you get 176.4 and 196 capability.
Steve N.

Hi Steve,
On Paul Hynes website, I cannot find SR12-3 as you mentioned above. Since SM has 12v supply input, is SR1-12 what you're referring to?
http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/page7.html

Also, what can I expect from adding SR1-12 to my SM?

Thanks,

audioengr

« Reply #89 on: 12 Jan 2013, 05:30 pm »
Hi Steve,
On Paul Hynes website, I cannot find SR12-3 as you mentioned above. Since SM has 12v supply input, is SR1-12 what you're referring to?
http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/page7.html

Also, what can I expect from adding SR1-12 to my SM?

Thanks,

He does not have this one listed there.  He will be making these in volume for me to resell in the US soon, as well as a supply for the older Mac Mini.

Steve N.

steve in jersey

« Reply #90 on: 12 Jan 2013, 06:01 pm »
He does not have this one listed there.  He will be making these in volume for me to resell in the US soon, as well as a supply for the older Mac Mini.

Steve N.

I don't know what the forum rules for Mfg is here, but if allowable could you make mention of this when they are available  ?

Thanks

audioengr

« Reply #91 on: 12 Jan 2013, 06:03 pm »
I don't know what the forum rules for Mfg is here, but if allowable could you make mention of this when they are available  ?

Thanks

He is recovering from a hernia operation.  When he is back on his feet, he will make this happen for me.
  I dont have any ETA.
Steve N.

steve in jersey

« Reply #92 on: 12 Jan 2013, 07:31 pm »
He is recovering from a hernia operation.  When he is back on his feet, he will make this happen for me.
  I dont have any ETA.
Steve N.

What, they can't drag his workbench into his recovery room ? They tell football players to " rub some dirt on it" . (Yes, I've been reading about his operation. I wish him well & hope he gets a chuckle or two from my comments)

Thanks,
Steve A

cooch

« Reply #93 on: 18 Jan 2013, 05:35 pm »
can anyone recommend a good coax or optical cable to run from the SM to Dac? I have a Monoprice high quality now, which is probably not high quality at all......need to bring out the best in the SM............

thanks

Watthead

« Reply #94 on: 18 Jan 2013, 11:23 pm »
can anyone recommend a good coax or optical cable to run from the SM to Dac? I have a Monoprice high quality now, which is probably not high quality at all......need to bring out the best in the SM............

thanks

Whats ur budget?

cooch

« Reply #95 on: 19 Jan 2013, 12:04 am »
Whats ur budget?
.         250-500 tops

Watthead

« Reply #96 on: 19 Jan 2013, 03:42 pm »
This are cables I've head nothing but good things:

Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 (series 7 just came out replacing the series 6, only difference is the insulation material). I own the normal Starlight 6, which cost like 100 dollars for 1.5 meters,and I love it, the thing is a firecracker. Its great. People that have upgraded to the Silver Starlight say it was well worth it.

Theese are another i've heard good things about. The materials they are made of are very good. And the price are good cause they seem to sell direct. The Reference Silver is made of monocrystal 99.9999% silver square wire and goes for US$218.00 for 1.5 meters So it seems promising.  http://www.cabledyne.com/rca-digital-cable.html

Another one that comes to mind is the Black Cat Silverstar. Poeple give it good reviews.

Hope this helps.

cooch

« Reply #97 on: 19 Jan 2013, 03:52 pm »
This are cables I've head nothing but good things:

Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 (series 7 just came out replacing the series 6, only difference is the insulation material). I own the normal Starlight 6, which cost like 100 dollars for 1.5 meters,and I love it, the thing is a firecracker. Its great. People that have upgraded to the Silver Starlight say it was well worth it.

Theese are another i've heard good things about. The materials they are made of are very good. And the price are good cause they seem to sell direct. The Reference Silver is made of monocrystal 99.9999% silver square wire and goes for US$218.00 for 1.5 meters So it seems promising.  http://www.cabledyne.com/rca-digital-cable.html

Another one that comes to mind is the Black Cat Silverstar. Poeple give it good reviews.

Hope this helps.
excellent, thank you......I will check into them....can you recommend any glass toslinks?

cooch

« Reply #98 on: 19 Jan 2013, 04:02 pm »
Using a BNC on the output of either SM or OR5 is a good idea.  If you can get a good cable with this termination, I recommend it.

Steve N.
. Steve, for the SM, would it be better to use the bnc connection with a bnc to RCA adaptor or the coax connection?

Watthead

« Reply #99 on: 19 Jan 2013, 05:19 pm »
excellent, thank you......I will check into them....can you recommend any glass toslinks?

My only experience with glass is the Wireworld Supernova 6, which I own. It sounds head and shoulders better than the belkin I used to have. It has clear, detailed, holografic sound. However, compared to the Starlight coaxial, I'd say that the Starlight is a better buy in every sense. To start off, it's cheaper. Also, the soundstage in the Starlight is noticeably bigger, and it has better attack. When the Starlight was new (I purchased the Supernova 6 first) I couldn't tell much difference, I was very happy with both (still am). But now that the Starlight is broken in, the difference is noticeable. In my opinion the Starlight is superior in every way (except looks heh). So I can imagine that the Silver Starlight, or Gold Starlight would ecplise in comparison.