Synchro-Mesh reclocker reviews

audioengr

bhobba

Re: Synchro-Mesh reclocker reviews
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2012, 10:47 pm »
As usual another excellent review by John.

I use USB personally but that idea of using it with the optical out of a TV sure is a nifty idea that may even entice me to get one.

Thanks
Bill

mcandy

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 11:08 pm »
When does this go on sale?
Thanks

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2012, 11:23 pm »
When does this go on sale?
Thanks

Been shipping for a couple of weeks now.

You can PayPal $634.00 to nugent@empiricalaudio.com if you are in the US

You can PayPal $670.00 to nugent@empiricalaudio.com if you are outside the US

I'm running a continuous backlog of about 10 orders, so its 2-3 weeks lead-time.  Getting close to Newport Beach show, June 1, so that puts it out another week.

Steve N.

Audioexcels

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2012, 02:16 am »
Didn't know Drako wrote for 6 moons...or does 6 moons hire him, make the layout 6 moons looking, then just leave his writing as it usually is in his blogs?

I think the most "important" thing here, besides the sound (obviously), is that we have a device that can feed multiple devices.  Now that's what I call versatility...I can literally use this for my computer, my tv, run a wire to my other rooms for systems in those rooms, list goes on and on.

Good work:)!  I'd be looking forward to a super nice clocking device like this one, but with performance more in line with the OR5 w/Hynes.

Cheers!

bhakti

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2012, 02:18 am »
Would like to see a reviewed product for sale on your website - is that asking too much?

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2012, 02:40 am »
Would like to see a reviewed product for sale on your website - is that asking too much?

One thing one must have with Empirical Audio is patience.  Many customers asked that I design a new custom chassis for my Overdrive DAC.  I warned them that this is very time-consuming, but I did what they asked.  The final panels and knobs are finally coming next week, so I can finally take all of my new products to the pro photographer and finally put these on the website.

I dont have a staff of marketers, so I have to take these products to the photo session myself and direct the photographer.  I have to write all of the verbage for the webpages.  I wear a lot of hats here.

Steve N.

bhakti

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2012, 02:46 am »
Completely understand and sympathize!  But why summit it for review if it is not for 'sale'?

johnnydarko

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2012, 03:49 am »
Didn't know Drako wrote for 6 moons...or does 6 moons hire him, make the layout 6 moons looking, then just leave his writing as it usually is in his blogs?

Who's "Drako"?   :o

6Moons don't "hire" me.  I write for them voluntarily (and without payment).  I also supply (most) photos.  Srajan then ties it all together for publication on his website.

johnnydarko

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2012, 03:57 am »
As usual another excellent review by John.

I use USB personally but that idea of using it with the optical out of a TV sure is a nifty idea that may even entice me to get one.

Thanks
Bill

Thanks Bill!   :thumb: 

I've been using is with the Pure i20 iPod dock this morning and really dig the combo.  Might write a short follow-up piece on my own site about this very soon.

Audioexcels

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2012, 04:21 am »
Who's "Drako"?   :o

6Moons don't "hire" me.  I write for them voluntarily (and without payment).  I also supply (most) photos.  Srajan then ties it all together for publication on his website.

I thought Drako would be more fitting for you, as a meaner kinda name:)))  Only a poor joke of course, along with my dyslexia getting names correct since I have followed most all of your blogs and appreciate the way you write and conduct things.  You express your opinion, but you also leave things in the air.  In other words, I never seem to find you sticking out like some sore thumb typical writer that boasts so big about something as if it's the holy grail of all things...and comes with soooo much adjectivity:)))  You have a good balance of not stretching things too far with the verbage which I prefer.

Thanks for the review and keep up the good work with your AU site!

Cheers John "Drako" Darko:))

audioengr

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2012, 04:46 am »
Completely understand and sympathize!  But why summit it for review if it is not for 'sale'?

I usually do product intros on this forum.  I have been selling it for about 2 weeks now.  I have shipped 7 or 8 and will be shipping another 10 soon.

Steve N.

daz_bike

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2012, 12:30 pm »
Hi Steve,

Any chance to have AES/EBU out from the reclocker?

wisnon

« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2012, 02:43 pm »
One thing one must have with Empirical Audio is patience.  Many customers asked that I design a new custom chassis for my Overdrive DAC.  I warned them that this is very time-consuming, but I did what they asked.  The final panels and knobs are finally coming next week, so I can finally take all of my new products to the pro photographer and finally put these on the website.

I dont have a staff of marketers, so I have to take these products to the photo session myself and direct the photographer.  I have to write all of the verbage for the webpages.  I wear a lot of hats here.

Steve N.

Yup...very busy man. The good ones usually are!

audioengr

« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2012, 04:46 pm »
Hi Steve,

Any chance to have AES/EBU out from the reclocker?

Perhpas if I do a HDMI I2S output version.  Not sure it will all fit on the backpanel.
Steve N.

jrem

« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2012, 10:36 pm »
I decided to register so I could post about this product, adding my 2cents.

Yesterday my ordered Synchro-Mesh Reclocker arrived from Steve at Emperical.

It sits in my system between the SONOS as a source and the REGA DAC.

The difference it makes is rather astonishing.    Though I ordered it after reading all about what a good re-clocker can do for digital music it's effect is beyond my expectations.

Everything sounds more present, more spacious, and more alive.   It's a bit too early to tell but I feel like it will result in less fatigue as well.

Very happy with this new purchase.

Turnandcough

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2012, 12:29 pm »
I'm interested in the SM but I have a few(many) questions.

Is a bit perfect version in the works?
The Squeezebox Touch is reputed to have very low jitter. To what extent can the SM improve on this?
What is the downside of having redbook files upsampled to 24/96 vs having 24/96 files downsampled to 16/44?
For someone who already owns a Touch how would you rate the Touch/SM combo vs investing in a standard Off-Ramp 5?
Why is the SM not listed on your website?   

Thank you

audioengr

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jun 2012, 04:56 pm »
I'm interested in the SM but I have a few(many) questions.

Is a bit perfect version in the works?

No, that was the Pace-Car.  Its still possible to get recycled Pace-Cars.  There are more restrictions with their use however, and it is usually more expensive.

The Squeezebox Touch is reputed to have very low jitter. To what extent can the SM improve on this?

Lots of products have low-jitter, but the jitter spectra is critically important.  Also, many of these specs have dubious measurement criteria.  The proof is in the pudding.  All have reported excellent results with SB Touch.

What is the downside of having redbook files upsampled to 24/96 vs having 24/96 files downsampled to 16/44?

Simple. Most DACs use a brick-wall digital filter for 44.1, whereas the filter is less steep and higher in frequency with 96.  Generally sounds better.  Digital filters, next to jitter are the biggest issues in digital audio.

For someone who already owns a Touch how would you rate the Touch/SM combo vs investing in a standard Off-Ramp 5?

The Touch/SM I would give a 7.5.  The Off-Ramp 5 is a 10.

Why is the SM not listed on your website?

It is currently on Pace-Car page.  It will get its own page once I have the photos from my photographer and my webmaster updates the website.  About 1-2 weeks.  Things happen slowly in central Oregon.....

Steve N.

Turnandcough

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2012, 12:18 am »
Thanks for your detailed reply.

I'm still pondering this. What would be optimal cable lengths between Touch>SM>DAC?

Unless there's a problem I'd like to keep cables as short as possible - ideally 6-12" and would probably opt for S/PDIF

audioengr

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2012, 01:55 am »
Thanks for your detailed reply.

I'm still pondering this. What would be optimal cable lengths between Touch>SM>DAC?

Unless there's a problem I'd like to keep cables as short as possible - ideally 6-12" and would probably opt for S/PDIF

Short is never good for digital unless it is really short.  You can use a cheap cable from touch to SM, but use a good cable from SM to DAC.  1.5m length is best.

Steve N.