Serious issue with BDA-3.14. Help needed.

WillyP

Serious issue with BDA-3.14. Help needed.
« on: 24 Aug 2023, 02:45 pm »
Hello Chris,

My music files are stored on an SSD of two TB. It has a folder structure: A - B, and so on. I use one of the USB inputs to connect with the SSD.

About two weeks ago, my BDA-3.14 started to act erroneously. After I have copied new music to the SSD, Manic Moose only indexes a small part of the library. Most of the time, I would say less than 10%.

I tried all the standard tricks but to no avail. I don’t know if the issue is related to the hardware or the software, but my BDA-3.14 is now unusable. Internet radio is OK.

What is causing this problem, and more importantly, what can be done about it?

WillyP

jcn3

Re: Serious issue with BDA-3.14. Help needed.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2023, 03:23 pm »
the usb port can only provide 500mA of current.  have you tried powering the ssd through an external source?

WillyP

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2023, 03:42 pm »
That is not possible in my situation. The combination has worked for months with an SSD and for years with an HDD that draws even more power, so I am surprised that there are problems now.

I have also tried a NAS for the music files, but here the problems were even worse. Almost none of the folders were indexed.

Thanks for your message!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2023, 11:20 am »
Willy - please send me an email and I will have Chris log into your system - jamestanner@bryston.com

WillyP

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2023, 06:19 pm »
Thanks, James! Message sent.

WillyP

WillyP

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2023, 06:38 pm »
Adam Tanner has been a big help to me. Just like jcn, he suggested that the 2 TB SSD needs more power than the 500 mA that the USB port can deliver. What I didn’t understand was that the combination worked for some time without problems. Anyway, after I put the 1 TB SSD back, everything was fine. Thank you again, jcn and Adam, for your support.

What may have helped, is that I am using a notebook now for Manic Moose exclusively. Only the operating system is installed, nothing else, and Manic Moose is used with Microsoft Edge (also Chromium-based).

I have some other questions about my BDA-3.14 and I will open new topics about these questions.

WillyP