Bug/Feature when more than one "album" tag used in a folder/directory

John541

Apologies for giving a lengthy blurb on tagging classical music before getting to the nub of the issue, but I thought it necessary. Here goes:-

With classical music, many CDs contain more than one work, each comprising a number of tracks (or “movements”). Because metadata is difficult to apply for classical music people employ work arounds. One common approach is to tag each work on the disc as a separate “album” - so the “album” tag refers to the work rather than the whole disc. (This makes it much easier to search recordings of a particular work.) It is also common to leave the track files “as ripped”, or as downloaded, in a single folder/directory. So a single folder/directory can contain tracks/files which can use differing metadata “album” tags.

Tagging in this way means that one can access the music by searching for a particular composer/work using metadata or, alternatively, play the whole CD “as is” by going to the folder/directory.

However, this causes problems in Manic Moose when accessing the music via folder/directory directly (rather than via Album, Album Artist, Artist, etc, etc). I would expect Manic Moose to show the tracks/files in the original filename order (or at the very least in metadata “track” number order). Instead of which it completely disregards the original sequence of the tracks/files and orders them in some weired and wonderful way so that a disc which has been compiled with tracks in one order will play in a completely different order.

One example I've used is the 2nd CD from the recording of pianist Alfred Brendel’s “Farewell Concerts” 2 disc album. The CD consists of 2 piano sonatas, each of 4 movements, followed by 3 encores. I’ve taken a screen grab of:

a) The filenames and metadata in the correct order, as shown in mp3tag software, and ...

b) A screen grab of Manic Moose when the CD is selected via the folder/directory. (The Beethoven Bagatelle, the Schubert Impromptu and the Bach Chorale Prelude were played as encores at the end of the concert.)

Because the images as displayed here aren't very clear I've also uploaded them to my Google Drive account:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16Xzn86NGEykZtVEcHjSIoF2eOuSAtOuv?usp=sharing

(I can see that this behaviour might be intended to cater for those people who have mistakenly put multiple albums in the same folder/directory but surely the answer to those problems is for them to sort out the way they store their music files.)