BDP-3

Grant Hill

Re: BDP-3
« Reply #320 on: 2 Oct 2017, 05:20 pm »
Hi James,

did any magazine request BDP3 for review?

thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #321 on: 2 Oct 2017, 05:22 pm »
Hi James,

did any magazine request BDP3 for review?

thanks!

Yes Stereophile has it now and loves it !!!! :thumb:

james

Grant Hill

« Reply #322 on: 3 Oct 2017, 07:16 am »
Thanks  :thumb:

WillyP

« Reply #323 on: 9 Oct 2017, 05:59 pm »
Hi James,

Do you already have a pdf file for us?

Willy

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #324 on: 9 Oct 2017, 10:08 pm »
Hi James,

Do you already have a pdf file for us?

Willy

Hi Willy

No - with Stereophile its about a 6 month wait for the review to get published.

james

Xinon

« Reply #325 on: 10 Oct 2017, 07:42 am »
Just wanna let you know, I have it and love it to :thumb:
 :lol:

gbaby

« Reply #326 on: 10 Oct 2017, 05:29 pm »

james

They should. Especially after they prematurely took the BDP-2 off the A+ list for recommended digital components.  :(

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #327 on: 10 Oct 2017, 06:54 pm »
They should. Especially after they prematurely took the BDP-2 off the A+ list for recommended digital components.  :(

Whoa. What was their reason for doing that?

Happy with my BDP-1.

zoom25

« Reply #328 on: 10 Oct 2017, 07:03 pm »
Whoa. What was their reason for doing that?

Happy with my BDP-1.

I thought you sold your BDP-1?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #329 on: 10 Oct 2017, 07:22 pm »

There was a short blurb as to why the BDP-2 and few other products were removed, that being that the products are discontinued which I don't think you can fault them for that.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #330 on: 10 Oct 2017, 07:31 pm »
I thought you sold your BDP-1?

Still here. 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #331 on: 10 Oct 2017, 07:32 pm »
There was a short blurb as to why the BDP-2 and few other products were removed, that being that the products are discontinued which I don't think you can fault them for that.

Not a good policy. Awards can't be withdrawn -- imagine Nobels being taken away because the recipients retired down the road..... :o
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2017, 01:38 pm by CanadianMaestro »

gbaby

« Reply #332 on: 11 Oct 2017, 03:35 pm »

But, at the time Stereophile removed the BDP-2, many dealers still had them in stock.  :o

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #333 on: 11 Oct 2017, 04:06 pm »
But, at the time Stereophile removed the BDP-2, many dealers still had them in stock.  :o

and it's still a very popular and high-performance item!!  :wink:

DarqueKnight

« Reply #334 on: 11 Oct 2017, 04:20 pm »
Thanks DK,

Will the Oppo app allow for a tv -less operation? I’ve several BD audio that require me to turn on the tv to scroll through the menu/ chapters and then select tracks. Would be lovely if this were to be catered for through the app?
This playlist looks fine, but (how) is the full track list displayed upon disc load?

Cheers Marius

Hi Marius,

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. For some reason, I have stopped getting email notifications for this thread and I just now saw your questions upon revisiting the thread.

The Oppo app does allow for TV-less operation. My music files are organized by album folders, and the album folders are grouped according to genre and whether they are PCM or DSD. Clicking on an album folder shows all the song files along with a thumbnail of the cover art. When I first start the app, I see my master folders, and then click through sub-folders to get to the album I want....or I select a playlist from the playlist page.

DarqueKnight

« Reply #335 on: 11 Oct 2017, 04:31 pm »
If you dac will accept DoP via spdif, then yes, even the BDP-2 with the Bryston IAD and perhaps even the original Juli@ could.  I've never tested it myself, but customers have reported that this configuration works.

The BDP-2's DSD over S/PDIF or AES/EBU works very well. The BDP-2 in my two channel system is connected to a dCS Debussy DAC via AES/EBU cable . I compared DSD files over USB, S/PDIF, and AES/EBU and preferred AES/EBU.

Marius

« Reply #336 on: 12 Oct 2017, 11:18 am »
Hi Marius,

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. For some reason, I have stopped getting email notifications for this thread and I just now saw your questions upon revisiting the thread.

The Oppo app does allow for TV-less operation. My music files are organized by album folders, and the album folders are grouped according to genre and whether they are PCM or DSD. Clicking on an album folder shows all the song files along with a thumbnail of the cover art. When I first start the app, I see my master folders, and then click through sub-folders to get to the album I want....or I select a playlist from the playlist page.

No Worries DK, thanks for your confirmation.

What happens when you insert a BD audio Disc? Is the menu visible on the Oppo, or preferably, on the app? Or do we still need the TV set to display and use the menu.
Thanks,
Marius

Grant Hill

« Reply #337 on: 12 Oct 2017, 12:03 pm »
The BDP-2's DSD over S/PDIF or AES/EBU works very well. The BDP-2 in my two channel system is connected to a dCS Debussy DAC via AES/EBU cable . I compared DSD files over USB, S/PDIF, and AES/EBU and preferred AES/EBU.

Hi DarqueKnight,

so is it possible to send DSD files over AES/EBU to an external Dac? I tought it was limited to USB...

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #338 on: 12 Oct 2017, 01:38 pm »
@Granthill, I think the limiting factor is the DAC. If it's a BDA-3, that will accept DSD only over its USB jack. The BDP-2 apparently can send DSD over its AES, but if your DAC is not able to do DSD over its AES circuitry.....feel free (anyone) to correct me.

cheers

Grant Hill

« Reply #339 on: 12 Oct 2017, 03:02 pm »
thank you CanadianMaestro

cheers