BDP-3

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-3
« Reply #260 on: 13 Jun 2017, 02:44 pm »
A lot has to do with how the USB is implemented.

I actually prefer USB in my setup with the BDP-3 and BDA-3

james

gbaby

« Reply #261 on: 13 Jun 2017, 07:15 pm »
A lot has to do with how the USB is implemented.

I actually prefer USB in my setup with the BDP-3 and BDA-3

james

You must listen to a lot of DSD, true?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #262 on: 13 Jun 2017, 07:28 pm »
You must listen to a lot of DSD, true?

HI

Not a lot but it just makes it easier when I setup my playlists I do not have to worry what file version it is.  Especially at shows it is really helpful.

james

zoom25

« Reply #263 on: 13 Jun 2017, 07:34 pm »
James, if I am remember correctly, you used to prefer the AES over USB on the BDP-2 and BDA-2 combo?

Also, I'm guessing you're using standard USB and AES cables, rather than something exotic? Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #264 on: 13 Jun 2017, 07:47 pm »
James, if I am remember correctly, you used to prefer the AES over USB on the BDP-2 and BDA-2 combo?

Also, I'm guessing you're using standard USB and AES cables, rather than something exotic? Thanks.

Yes that's true I much preferred the AES on the BDP-2 with the BDA2.

Nothing exotic cable wise in my systems at home or at shows.

james

zoom25

« Reply #265 on: 13 Jun 2017, 08:17 pm »
Yes that's true I much preferred the AES on the BDP-2 with the BDA2.

Interesting. Do you think it was the BDA-3 or the BDP-3, or both simultaneously that were responsible for making USB better? For example, have you tried BDA-3 with BDP-2 or BDP-3 with BDA-2, and if so which output did you prefer? Thanks.

gbaby

« Reply #266 on: 13 Jun 2017, 09:19 pm »
Interesting. Do you think it was the BDA-3 or the BDP-3, or both simultaneously that were responsible for making USB better? For example, have you tried BDA-3 with BDP-2 or BDP-3 with BDA-2, and if so which output did you prefer? Thanks.

I did not read into his comment USB was better, but rather more convenient for different files.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #267 on: 13 Jun 2017, 10:11 pm »
Yes until I heard the USB in the BDA-3 with the BDP-3 I preferred the AES

Its not a huge difference obviously but I find the USB gives me a little more air around the instruments and a slightly better you are there on the vocals. 

Thats me of course and you setup my vary.

james

OTM

« Reply #268 on: 13 Jun 2017, 10:27 pm »
HI

Not a lot but it just makes it easier when I setup my playlists I do not have to worry what file version it is.  Especially at shows it is really helpful.

james

Slightly off topic
What solution, if there is one are people using for the different audio levels between DSD, flac, wave etc. in a playlist?
I don't mind reaching over and adjusting levels hardware or software however but others in the household have different opinions.
Maybe this should be a different topic?
Thanks
David

gbaby

« Reply #269 on: 13 Jun 2017, 10:42 pm »
Slightly off topic
What solution, if there is one are people using for the different audio levels between DSD, flac, wave etc. in a playlist?
I don't mind reaching over and adjusting levels hardware or software however but others in the household have different opinions.
Maybe this should be a different topic?
Thanks
David

David, if I had to take a guess, the different recording volume levels you speak on are recording dependent. I have this same issue, but its the same reason why recording quality differs. There is technology that can even this out but not without a sonic compromise.

OTM

« Reply #270 on: 14 Jun 2017, 12:07 am »
Hi,
That is what I thought.
I have a library of cds ripped using Db-poweramp.
The rest of my library  are purchased flac /wav and DSD files.  My wife and I also also have mp4a  collections that we  have  copied to the bdp-2.
I suppose I could increase volume on rips to match DSD's  but that would be a pain.
And yes, I have a small vinyl collection from The,70's but that is not an issue as we play off a turntable.

David

Xinon

« Reply #271 on: 16 Jun 2017, 08:31 am »
Do Bryston install internal SSD disk in BDB3, or is this something the customer does?
If I make myself can you recommend SSD disk or is all disk the same?
Is there still much catching up to do in delivering BDP3?

Thankyou :thumb:

Hoiman

« Reply #272 on: 16 Jun 2017, 08:46 am »
Nice question.

I wonder if I can put this one in it: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB 2.5" SATA3.
It got 4TB.  :thumb: :thumb:

I also have the question why does it take so long to copy from one usb HDD to another usb HDD both connected to the BDP-3 (so the copy work is the responsability of the BDP-3)?

bjski

« Reply #273 on: 16 Jun 2017, 12:03 pm »
Do Bryston install internal SSD disk in BDB3, or is this something the customer does?
If I make myself can you recommend SSD disk or is all disk the same?
Is there still much catching up to do in delivering BDP3?

Thankyou :thumb:

I believe the customer does. The factory will do it on request. I put 500mb in my my BDP-2 along with external drives. With the BDP-3 I ordered 1TB and will still use external drives.

James has the factory caught up?
Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #274 on: 16 Jun 2017, 12:54 pm »
Hi Folks,

We do not want to install drives at the factory as I am worried that if there is a drive failure and loss of data we get blamed. :duh:

james

Phil A

« Reply #275 on: 16 Jun 2017, 01:01 pm »
Hi Folks,

We do not want to install drives at the factory as I am worried that if there is a drive failure and loss of data we get blamed. :duh:

james

James - understand completely.  It is somewhat similar to the situation when one buys an NAS (Synology, QNAP).  There are various drives that will work with it but one buys the NAS and the hard drives of their choice.  It is also possible to get defective drives (anything made can have a problem).  It is not a rabbit hole I'd want to jump into.  One of the reasons I've never gotten around to building a PC is a similar issue, time and defective parts.  When my current PC was being built, they had a defective power supply during testing and had to get a new one.  I didn't want to get into the situation of buying all the parts (from different places) and then getting around to putting it together and finding a problem (and sometimes it's hard past a certain point to return items).

Grant Hill

« Reply #276 on: 16 Jun 2017, 01:03 pm »
Hi James,

would you recomend installing an internal drive rather than using external USB drives? or it is exactly the same? I am talking about 3/4TB hard disks...

Thank you.

Xinon

« Reply #277 on: 16 Jun 2017, 01:04 pm »
Hi Folks,

james

Understandable.
Checked the video, and it should be very easy to install.
Do you recomend pre format disk, or format after installation?

Hoiman

« Reply #278 on: 16 Jun 2017, 02:19 pm »
James do you have also an answer for this question:

I also have the question why does it take so long to copy from one usb HDD to another usb HDD both connected to the BDP-3 (so the copy work is the responsability of the BDP-3)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #279 on: 16 Jun 2017, 02:52 pm »
James do you have also an answer for this question:

Chris is better to answer that but I believe it is a function of the speed of your network.

james